• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
July Pattern and Disco- Shut Up and Dew With Me

Damage In Tolland

My indoor sown cukes failed miserably during the dry May so I had to direct sow a new batch in early June. They're up, but only a few inches tall. Like you said, everything looks stunted, but I did notice some obvious growth overnight last night. I started a late pumpkin patch last week and went from no seedlings yesterday afternoon to about 15 this morning. My mammoth sunflowers are finally up over a foot too. It could be worse I guess (1816...lol).

For Ginxy...my highest 6" soil temps by July 5th since I moved here...

2007: 74F

2008: 74F

2009: 71F

2010: 75F

2011: 74F

2012: Missing Data (lightning strike)

2013: 77F

2014: 76F

2015: 70F

So this actually puts me behind 2009 soil temp wise. Thankfully that should change over the next couple of days.

lol, all this great info you provide and all i can focus on is this: 2012: Missing Data (lightning strike)

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what that high altitude haze is out there today. 

Most MOS sites busted 3 to 5 too warm today, but the blue has been marred by a milk...   No mention of smoke in AFDs but it smacks of  it -

Crazy amount of smoke out there on satellite.

From today, yesterday, and a few days ago:

2eehgnl.png

28s0x2r.jpg

2w2pw6e.png

Crazy amount of smoke out there on satellite.

From today, yesterday, and a few days ago:

Interesting that NWS isn't mentioning this...   or if so, apparently sparingly reasoned into their philosophies for temps.  

'Course, not absolutely clear elevated smoke is why MOS was a few ticks warm today, but it is as good an explanation as any. 

Anyone smell the smoke today in the air? Every time we mixed a little wind to the ground you got this huge smell of wood burning smoke. 

Yes!  I was wondering what I was smelling and who was using the fireplace on such a warm day!

That was the warmest Euro run/ENS package we've seen in quite sometime. Hopefully some semblance of that verifies. Might be able to pull off a few 88-92 degree days at BDL early this week and again next weekend

and unfortunately poo poo for big svr threats.  Jet energy well north.  The rich may get richer again though Wednesday (Eastern MA)

11539609_894526180619284_478182273453123

I said AFDS... This is a bulletin and it is what it... But I didn't see enough mention of this as a factor that might bust MOS be as much as 5F or more, in and around the area. There's been some acknowledgement of its presence, ...perhaps I merely missed it but I didnt' read any anticipation of it as a limiting factor.  

I am not even sure it is a limiting factor, but we have pall sun and now hi's less than guidance.  Seemed an interesting question - 

I said AFDS... This is a bulletin and it is what it... But I didn't see enough mention of this as a factor that might bust MOS be as much as 5F or more, in and around the area. There's been some acknowledgement of its presence, ...perhaps I merely missed it but I didnt' read any anticipation of it as a limiting factor.  

I am not even sure it is a limiting factor, but we have pall sun and now hi's less than guidance.  Seemed an interesting question - 

Oh yeah I wasn't trying to reference that part of your post...sorry, I was just posting that as an interesting graphic to the board regarding "I wonder what that high altitude haze is out there today?"

I didn't even realize MOS was that warm for today.  It seemed about as forecast up here with highs in the upper 70s to low 80s under 1,500ft up in NW New England.  But again I wasn't paying too much attention.

Oh yeah I wasn't trying to reference that part of your post...sorry, I was just posting that as an interesting graphic to the board regarding "I wonder what that high altitude haze is out there today?"

I didn't even realize MOS was that warm for today.  It seemed about as forecast up here with highs in the upper 70s to low 80s under 1,500ft up in NW New England.  But again I wasn't paying too much attention.

To be fair .. .I noticed this in the NAM/GFS for KFIT, KBED and KBOS.  Damn, kick me now ...cuz I wonder how pervasive it is. Twister's the site I normally use for MOS/FOUS products and it only goes back -1 interval for MOS.  ALB and MPV were 85 and 81 for highs respectively, on the 00z guidance from last night, and they both fell short... Not by a lot, but it seems a consistently a small to moderate warm bust is prevalent here.  

I think it's gotta be the smoke - 

To be fair .. .I noticed this in the NAM/GFS for KFIT, KBED and KBOS.  Damn, kick me now ...cuz I wonder how pervasive it is. Twister's the site I normally use for MOS/FOUS products and it only goes back -1 interval for MOS.  ALB and MPV were 85 and 81 for highs respectively, on the 00z guidance from last night, and they both fell short... Not by a lot, but it seems a consistently a small to moderate warm bust is prevalent here.  

I think it's gotta be the smoke - 

We didn't really get the meat of a plume like the Upper Midwest did earlier last week, but under those conditions you can have as much as 4-5 degrees cooling under the plume.

Dude, you just nailed it!  I put my toms and cukes in over a month ago, and though they don't look terrible in terms of leaf health and color ... they have grown ...maybe a 1/4 " - really.  Not much hyperbole there; they just are utterly stunted.  In fact, the toms have started putting our fruit, which also are like micro sized.  The beef-steakers are like marbles...  

f'g pissed!   , 

I plant my garden with black plastic covering the soil.  Not only does that control weeds, it also heats the soil.  My stuff is growing pretty well, even the tomatoes.  This week everything is taking off and growing very quickly.  Even at 70 or 75 degrees during the day, the black plastic gets very hot when the sun is out.

My indoor sown cukes failed miserably during the dry May so I had to direct sow a new batch in early June. They're up, but only a few inches tall. Like you said, everything looks stunted, but I did notice some obvious growth overnight last night. I started a late pumpkin patch last week and went from no seedlings yesterday afternoon to about 15 this morning. My mammoth sunflowers are finally up over a foot too. It could be worse I guess (1816...lol).

For Ginxy...my highest 6" soil temps by July 5th since I moved here...

2007: 74F

2008: 74F

2009: 71F

2010: 75F

2011: 74F

2012: Missing Data (lightning strike)

2013: 77F

2014: 76F

2015: 70F

So this actually puts me behind 2009 soil temp wise. Thankfully that should change over the next couple of days.

I have sunflowers already 4 feet tall with flowers coming.

Pretty dry period too. All these forecasts we're seeing of downpours/storms Tuesday and Wednesday  and this weekend look pretty bad. Maybe a few few scattered showers

Could be some stuff Wed aftn, but it's definitely not a wet pattern. Which is fine, dry things out a bit and let the roots grow.

Tomatoes finally tall enough to tie to the stakes, picked some pac choi for a deermeat stir-fry Friday. No "knee high by the 4th of July" this year - corn along Rt 2 in Farmington was barely approaching knee high yesterday, if it were my 7-YO granddaughter's knees.

I noticed that Saturday on my way to the Farmington parade, corn is definitely behind schedule up there. That stretch of Route 2 approaching Farmington with Mount Blue in the backdrop is definitely one of my favorites.

I plant my garden with black plastic covering the soil. Not only does that control weeds, it also heats the soil. My stuff is growing pretty well, even the tomatoes. This week everything is taking off and growing very quickly. Even at 70 or 75 degrees during the day, the black plastic gets very hot when the sun is out.

Yeah I considered it, but I'm an organic guy and have tried to stay away from the plastic stuff. I haven't done enough research on it to find anything OMRI approved. We'll see how it goes the next couple weeks. I considered mulching with some coconut coir.

Yeah I considered it, but I'm an organic guy and have tried to stay away from the plastic stuff. I haven't done enough research on it to find anything OMRI approved. We'll see how it goes the next couple weeks. I considered mulching with some coconut coir.

your biggest problem is your climate

Archived