joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've thought a disaster novel called, "Fire Storm" would be a good write/read...  The story takes place in New England, after the travails of a highly unusual dry summer... Severe drought style, after a just an average uptake winter allowed for heavy spring growth.   

Foliage is lush early, but tinder by mid August. Even in-tree, not just brush and sere deadened undergrowth, either... So bad that pine needles in evergreens start to look more and more ever tan.  

Then a wayward high based CB pulses a Zeusian lightning charge into a the canopy of the equally challenged boreal forest up in Ontario along a cold front. Behind which... gusty winds purports additional low RH air,  that otherwise would have been the season's first cool shot.  The front comes down and as it passes the sky turns a dullard pal, the sun a barely discernible orb...then quite dusky ...at 1 pm. The air starts to feel eerily warmer and warmer as the light dims, as the smells are umistakable; then the sounds of winds through trees is offset by a wall of orange Hades.  It's all over the news to take cover - had been for hours.  The EMS had interrupted broadcasts and civil instructions tickered and or warned -- but what could anyone do...  It blasts through even down through the thoroughfares of ...interior wooded township communities.   Like a giant arcing Derecho of fire...   

Your novel might already be out there, though it's history rather than fiction.  Look for "The Week Maine Burned", which recounts the fires of October 1947.  Check out the PWM temps for the peak-burn days, and they had received no measurable precip yet that month.  That 10/23 max is the warmest PWM has ever recorded that late in the year.

10/22....70....37

10/23....83....35

10/24....59....26

10/25....65....20

Over 200,000 acres with 15 fatalities, wiped out the town centers at Newfield and East Brownfield, and only a sudden shift in wind direction saved downtown BHB.  The big runs at Newfield and Mt. Desert Island came with the dry CF on 10/24, while the Kennebunkport fire was a couple days earlier.  Not lightning caused, however, but untended late fall cleanup fires plus gusts 50+ with the CF, and strong SW winds for the earlier blaze, which was stopped by the Atlantic (though it torched an island more than half a mile offshore.)

yes, sorry Naples. i never knew there were 2 Long Lakes in Maine.

I have been in the lakes region for over 30 yrs, Depending on what you are looking to do, I can give you some input on places to go to eat, To visit, Night time fun, etc, etc, That whole region, Long Lake, Brandy Pond and Sebago Lake is pretty high traffic in the summer

I have been in the lakes region for over 30 yrs, Depending on what you are looking to do, I can give you some input on places to go to eat, To visit, Night time fun, etc, etc, That whole region, Long Lake, Brandy Pond and Sebago Lake is pretty high traffic in the summer

family gathering, ages 12-70+. we can occupy ourselves fine on nice days. looking for rainy day activities, a couple nice dinner spots, and perhaps some nightlife (not dance clubs lol)

family gathering, ages 12-70+. we can occupy ourselves fine on nice days. looking for rainy day activities, a couple nice dinner spots, and perhaps some nightlife (not dance clubs lol)

Rick's Cafe, Bray's Brew Pub, Captain Jack's and Freedom Cafe for lunch or dinner on the causesway, Sandys Flight Deck for breakfast, Another good place for dinner is at the North end of Long Lake at the Old Mill Tavern, Rick's and Bray's usually have a band or a solo act on the weekends

Rick's Cafe, Bray's Brew Pub, Captain Jack's and Freedom Cafe for lunch or dinner on the causesway, Sandys Flight Deck for breakfast, Another good place for dinner is at the North end of Long Lake at the Old Mill Tavern, Rick's and Bray's usually have a band or a solo act on the weekends

great, thanks!

great, thanks!

I used to do some camping in the Sebago Lake area and definitely concur with Bray's.  If you want to play some golf, I like both Naples CC and Point Sebago. I love that area, in fact my son was born 9 months after one of our visits. :whistle:

http://www.liveduvalstreet.com/

Duval street will be under water within the hour based upon radar.

ha, i was watching some tourists act like idiots, not a clue they were on a web cam...the idiots were lost, the woman was just standing in the middle of that road, talking to her boyfriend on the sidewalk...then she gets her phone out and it's pouring and she can't see the screen, so she asks some random stranger if she can borrow their shirt, and proceeds to wipe her phone off on their shirt...

Archived