joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@danburyweather: Been on a bit of a hiatus lately. Busy on vacation out in the Plains. May get back to forecasts this week. Otherwise follow me @stormchaserQ

What the hell has he been doing all season? Ridge in the west...meh severe at best. 

They get a deep trough today which should rock Dallas this evening.

Another sh*t day today. Hope all those who wanted Spring, are happy.

I was just going through the METARs up here for MVL and its been days and days since we've had some CLR observations.  Literally like 4-5 days now of OVC obs. 

At least we've had flakes in the air for like 3 of those days. 

Very low diurnal trends, too...days of 35/32 and 41/31.  A far cry from the 45 degree diurnal trends of that sunny period we had a week ago.

-0.9F on the month.  BTV actually having an above normal month, haha.

Still a disappointing look to the growing season in many spots at the end of April. The Magnoilas are coming out and some other flowering trees (Dogwood?)...but otherwise rather meh.

There's definitely stress... The red maples tend to bud out and blossom a good 2 week prior to the broad leaf sugar maples, yet they appear to be cracking buds in tandem - and the latter is a week behind, too.  It's been enough to forcibly delay the reds, it would seem.

My forsythias finally bloomed when as recently as 2012 they were done and over to leafing out by early April.  It's also interesting that we're but 4 days outta May and our neighborhood lawns up here along rt Poop are just now sending up new green blades.  

I'm tellin' you... should that longer termed 00z Euro pan out, that's going to be one helluva whiplash green up recovery!  

Yep, but about 10-12" the past few days with snow on the trees is rather impressive even for them.

I don't know that it is all that unusual for them that far N, and at an elevation that's pretty much cloud depth... 

According to CDC, 

Northern New Hampshire April snowfall averages Days Place Inches Centi­metres 1.5 Berlin 4.3 10.9 3.1 Bethlehem 5.6 14.2 1.3 Colebrook 4.1 10.4 5.0 First Connecticut Lake 9.8 24.9 13.1 Mount Washington 35.6 90.4 2.0 North Conway 4.4 11.2 3.9 Pinkham Notch 9.6 24.4 1.5 Plymouth 3.4 8.6 2.0 Tamworth 4.2 10.7

If we add in a bit of latitude, and Pittsburg's 1,300" elevation...  

I'd say it's unusual for the last 10 years perhaps, but I bet it's not that unusual overall..  But, :) this is far from a theoretical postulate... 

Hey, if anyone is interested in how/what I call a Sanoran heat release occurs, this is how it happens: 

post-904-0-51937600-1430078377_thumb.jpg

post-904-0-70800700-1430078390_thumb.jpg

post-904-0-23988300-1430078405_thumb.jpg

post-904-0-57965600-1430078421_thumb.jpg

post-904-0-56092800-1430078739_thumb.jpg

There have been more extreme cases of this in the past..   Should this Euro -like solution transpire, it really will whiplash the season around... Also, interestingly, this did not happen once last summer. 

The Coles Pond in Walden, VT coop observer still had a 7" snow depth this morning, and that's a similar spot to Pittsburgh, NH at over 2000ft elevation at a northern latitude. Johns Weather in Pittsburgh showed a 4" depth this morning.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

They are expecting a rain/snow mix tonight at Coles Pond, but should be a slow melt with highs near 50F the next few days as we approach May. Still impressive to have over a half foot of snowpack in the late days of April.

Man, the 18z GFS makes like 6 cycles of clad finishing touch... wow. 

That would bring cat's paws down to even the interior lower els of Middlesex western Essex...possibly even interior SE Mass on that run.  But the way ... the view of the summit of Monadnock from my sis' place in Winchendon yesterday appeared to have some snow still up there... Course it's 3,500 ft there...This run would probably cake that summit big time. 

That's such a deep 850 mb low that is seems dynamics would punch that into an isothermal sounding at like -.1, with moderate to heavy QPF? 

heh, ... it's snowed in May for a reason people.  

Still, quite odd that the typically biased (amped) Euro can't even play things out as deeply, when it's the GFS, usually the flatter too progressive tool that's doing that.  

I looked up the elevation on line for Pittsburgh NH and it said 1,300.. .but it's probably highly variable (duh) between John's and wherever town center is - I dunno..

Hes on a hill west of the First CT Lake, the lake is ~1670ft. I think hes around 1800-1850ft or so. Like you said it is highly variable and the town is huge area wise, its basically the whole northern tip of NH. 

Nice CCB dynamic cooling at day 5...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I know..that's sick!

Since those intevals are 3C, that could easily be -1 or even -2 along the dynamic spine - 

I know I b**ch about this time of year... THAT is the type of phenomenon that trumps. That's ...I just hope that happens.  Too amazing to not want to see that -

Archived