• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Spring/Summer Banter & complaint thread

dmc76

We sort of got a taste of that during the 2010-2012 period, with the repeated hot Summers and unimpressive winter of 2011-2012.

I agree but "taste" is the operative word. When you look at the big picture....

Winter-wise, 2011-12 was our ONLY winter in the last 8 years with below normal snowfall. When you look at the sensible weather, it was a good example of those all-too frequent winters of the 1930s-40s with mild temps and below avg snow that only stuck around for a few days at a time. However, it was smothered on both sides by severe winters. Snowfall has been running so far above normal that 2011-12 remains buried (pun intended) as despite it, snowfall is still averaging a foot above normal at dtw the last decade.

Summer-wise its a little different but the same jist. We had not one but THREE consecutive years of torrid summers where heatwave after heatwave seemed to hit us, & a day of low humidity and a high of 80F was considered cool relief. There were definitely periods of drought-like weather and straw grass, but it never got as dry as the dust bowl. The heat was the big story. However much like winter, this trio of summers has been surrounded on both sides (2008-09 & now 2013-15) by seasonable & cool summers with very little heat. Not only have 90F days been well below normal, but the lengthy stretches of sub-80 highs we have seen several of these years during the dog days have been almost unheard of.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never thought I would be depressed by the weather in the summer. There's no escaping this. Haven't been swimming in 2 years.

There were a couple 90F days for you last summer, but they must've come on inopportune days.  I think there were one or two ideal beach days last year (by ideal, I mean upper 80s with dews well into the 60s or 70s).  None or maybe one this summer so far.

Idk if this is OT but I wonder how extreme the feedback was during the height of the dust bowl

Sent from my iPhone

That's a neat question, also an idea that I thought of is an index for feedback loops in weather. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future there is such an indice. Another index is how many screw-jobs the west vs the east has gotten during their cold regimes that seems to be so black and white for the last number of years.

Never thought I would be depressed by the weather in the summer. There's no escaping this. Haven't been swimming in 2 years.

Until summer 2014 came, neither did I. I getting very worried now because this June might even be colder than last year's crap locally...shocked that the worst climo pattern is still tormenting heat lovers; that should have been out of here ages ago!!

The 00z GFS was 16 days of the same pattern...

I randomly checked that very run, what did we do to deserve this? The frame at 348 hrs has got to be one of the biggest middle fingers ever to erupt from my screen. From a June climatology perspective, this is my worst nightmare. I try and distract myself from this BS but it doesn't work. The Weather Network said this low passage that gave probably one of the worst summer Saturday's in memory, a once in 78 year occurrence! I felt the same as I do in winter with the winds gusting, how dark it was, etc.

At least I'll get some warmth this winter. LOL!  :axe:

off06_temp.gif

The CPC ALWAYS issues warmer than normal winter forecasts for the northern tier. Its an absolute joke. This includes during the record cold winters of 2013-14 & 2014-15.

To be honest, I am absolutely SHOCKED that they do not have the orange color much farther south and much darker colors (ie, higher percentages).

The CPC ALWAYS issues warmer than normal winter forecasts for the northern tier. Its an absolute joke. This includes during the record cold winters of 2013-14 & 2014-15.

To be honest, I am absolutely SHOCKED that they do not have the orange color much farther south and much darker colors (ie, higher percentages).

For sure! It's only June and a lot will change regarding this upcoming winter. I'm beginning to get pessimistic about this summer, though. There's pretty much no chance of a good heatwave (or even a hot day) for you or me through early July. 1992 redux in the works?

El Nino, and possibly a strong one.

damn there's a lot of skirt wearing weather wussies here... weird

I don't think it is hard to deal with the cool weather but there is a bit of expectation that we would be near or into the 80s consistently by now. Combine that with a very long winter, I can understand why this weather pattern is particularly irksome. I am fine with it as long as it remains active though.

To me it looks like a standard Nino thing...of course there's really no such thing as not all of them behave the same or can be overpowered by other influences sometimes.

damn there's a lot of skirt wearing weather wussies here... weird

Hey, it's a complaint thread... You live up north thus you expect cooler weather.

While it was beautiful and warm up in your neck of the woods yesterday and Friday... It was cloudy, rainy and in the 50's here lol

So let me be a skirt wearing wussie it's too cold in these parts.

Good storms have definitely been few and far between this summer. I wish this summer would turn a bit more sunny and a few more good storms (ones with good thunder and lightning is good enough). So many clouds this summer!

I don't mind it staying between 68-75° though.

I don't mind the cooler summer. What pisses me off is that every storm has pretty much missed MBY.

Convection is inherently isolated to scattered by nature, odds are always in favor of it missing someones backyard over hitting it. I seem to always have to bring this up every year because this complaint is made every year and it doesn't hold value. Now a complaint like Powerball's, where it has been raining too much with no convection due to it being cold would be a more valid complaint as we have had opportunities for convection without it materializing more than rain.

Archived