• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Spring/Summer Banter & complaint thread

dmc76

Well bear in mind, we didn't have nearly as many massive snowstorms to clean up from either. Just using the 12" mark as a bar, DTW had none in 2014-2015 while BOS had four 12"+ storms last season (with no thaws in between).

But also the fact that the past 2 Springs/Summers have been "coolish" and not very Sunny delayed the melting of the snow piles as well.

I think you mean 2013-14. DTW didnt have a 12" storm in 2013-14, but they did have two ~11" snowstorms, two ~8" snowstorms, two ~7" snowstorms, and countless smaller snowfalls that all needed plowing in a winter of seeimingly non-stop snowfall from start to finish (versus Bostons more quick '14-15 thump that will not be touched again). The piles will add up in a winter of little thawing, especially in the lots at DTW where the snow is dumped, so its really no surprise they didnt melt til mid or late June. Plus its all about how much space there is to dump the snow as to how high it is piled.

2014-15 meanwhile was more of a tundra...the massive 16.7-inch storm was the only biggie, lots of 2-3" type snows that obviously need plowing, but Id gather the piles werent quite as big this winter. Still impressive of course.

Of course, once you get to June and all the other snow has long since melted away, while it is cool to think that those piles still exist, they are just disgusting heaps of blackness with ice underneath lol.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you mean 2013-14. DTW didnt have a 12" storm in 2013-14, but they did have two ~11" snowstorms, two ~8" snowstorms, two ~7" snowstorms, and countless smaller snowfalls that all needed plowing in a winter of seeimingly non-stop snowfall from start to finish (versus Bostons more quick '14-15 thump that will not be touched again). The piles will add up in a winter of little thawing, especially in the lots at DTW where the snow is dumped, so its really no surprise they didnt melt til mid or late June. Plus its all about how much space there is to dump the snow as to how high it is piled.

2014-15 meanwhile was more of a tundra...the massive 16.7-inch storm was the only biggie, lots of 2-3" type snows that obviously need plowing, but Id gather the piles werent quite as big this winter. Still impressive of course.

Of course, once you get to June and all the other snow has long since melted away, while it is cool to think that those piles still exist, they are just disgusting heaps of blackness with ice underneath lol.

I did, lol. Just made the correction.

Obviously a warmer than normal Spring and a Spring that's not so cloudy (sublimation) would accelerate the melting of even the largest and most stubborn snow piles. That's what happened after the 2010 and 2011 (by May) winters.

We just haven't had that in the last 2 seasons...

I did, lol. Just made the correction.

Obviously a warmer than normal Spring and a Spring that's not so cloudy (sublimation) would accelerate the melting of even the largest and most stubborn snow piles. That's what happened after the 2010 and 2011 (by May) winters.

We just haven't had that in the last 2 seasons...

True. you had also made the comment a few years ago that Detroit was breaking every kind of snow record imagineable but couldnt get the big dog. Well, now that we know we can still blow past a foot in a single storm (by nearly 5"), where do we go from here? Will the snow records continue to pile up or will we regress back to climo?

True. you had also made the comment a few years ago that Detroit was breaking every kind of snow record imagineable but couldnt get the big dog. Well, now that we know we can still blow past a foot in a single storm (by nearly 5"), where do we go from here? Will the snow records continue to pile up or will we regress back to climo?

The law of averages would say these winters we've seen lately will become a thing of the past for a long time, but of course every season it seems like Mother Nature still wants to do her own thing. So who knows. 

I know some people already who would rather have dry, sunny autumn conditions already! With the way it has been with rain almost every weekend and clouds, I can't really blame them.

Really lucked out though with the 4th of July weekend. 

Can someone explain how SHARPYy comes up with these TOR percentages

From the 18z GFS yesterday for my area

It's coming up with with 2 weak matches to that sounding within its analog system and both of them had tornadoes occur in the vicinity, or at least that's how I take it (i.e. 100% occurrence rate).

The law of averages would say these winters we've seen lately will become a thing of the past for a long time, but of course every season it seems like Mother Nature still wants to do her own thing. So who knows. 

The last two winters made headlines long after winter was over. Moreso 2013-14, but even 2014-15...just in todays Free Press in fact:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/07/11/michigan-blueberry-season/30003787/

I'd take that in a heartbeat, right now. :D

Almost sad we had a negative daily departure on the 29th that month.

Screwed up the run of days without below average temps.  :(

The 20th was the only day with a below average high, and barely.

It's coming up with with 2 weak matches to that sounding within its analog system and both of them had tornadoes occur in the vicinity, or at least that's how I take it (i.e. 100% occurrence rate).

Wonder what would be defined as vicinity. Doubtful there is some canadian tornado analog database. IIRC London was at 67% at the same time.

Screwed up the run of days without below average temps.  :(

The 20th was the only day with a below average high, and barely.

It's hard to forget that month, as much for the banter between you and Tim as the heat itself. You rooting for it due to its anomalous nature, and Tim the heat hater blowing you crap for it.  Good times.

It's hard to forget that month, as much for the banter between you and Tim as the heat itself. You rooting for it due to its anomalous nature, and Tim the heat hater blowing you crap for it.  Good times.

lol yeah, good times.

Both these events are pretty bad for farmers.  The damage is already done is some aspects but imagine if this type of regime continues throughout the summer. 

lol yeah, good times.

Both these events are pretty bad for farmers.  The damage is already done is some aspects but imagine if this type of regime continues throughout the summer. 

Yes an economic disaster is looming for the farming community. I saw a guy trying to replant the other day, right before we got two more inches.

Wonder what would be defined as vicinity. Doubtful there is some canadian tornado analog database. IIRC London was at 67% at the same time.

No, it's the vicinity of wherever the sounding was taken, i.e. if the sounding was from Topeka and a tornado occurred in Manhattan, KS, yet it matched the sounding you posted reasonably well, it would give that as one of the matches when calculating the percentages.

Archived