• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Spring/Summer Banter & complaint thread

dmc76

Cold front isn't moving south fast enough keep the rain shield south of the border. Most of the metro area should see heavy rain tonight.

My best chance of seeing heavy rain will be from the north. The stuff that's in the saginaw Valley. I think most of the Detroit area you probably have to watch what's going on along Lake Michigan.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. There's plenty of instability over MI. LI's up to -6. Cape between 1000-1500. Bulk shear of 30-40 knots. PWAT's over 2.

It's one thing to have the instability, and it's another to fully tap into it.

For the reasons mentioned in my previous post, I wouldn't hold my breath.

My best chance of seeing heavy rain will be from the north. The stuff that's in the saginaw Valley. I think most of the Detroit area you probably have to watch what's going on along Lake Michigan.

You realize that's all congealing into one shield as the LLJ kicks up and the cold front sinks south, right? 

If you are talking about the marginal severe stuff then yes. There is still going to be heavy rain.

Your reasoning makes no sense though, the mean flow says that the stuff in IN should be moving this way and the stuff to the north is slowly sagging south. The LLJ is progged to move into the area tonight which if anything should maintain or increase convection.

Where's this 'convection' you've been talking about?  For all the flack DMC is getting in this thread, he's turning out to be right.

Confirmed tornado in SE Michigan Chargers? Where did that happen? When I was clearly referencing Stebo's post which referred to convection increasing in SE Michigan, you can't use Northern Illinois events to make your point.

Dial it back, first off I said the convection was increasing over SW MI not SE MI and the LLJ ended up veering and focusing more on Northern OH which wasn't forecast. You might want to go back and reread my posts because I didn't say anything about convection over SEMI.

I think it was the other way around.

You got it right for the wrong reason, it had nothing to do with instability. It had everything to do with the fact the LLJ which was progged to focus on SEMI ended up focusing on N OH, where all the heavy rain is.

not necessarily the majority of that line is going to shift south and southeast of us. Will get clipped with leftover light showers.

Good call.

One can call it being negative or whatever, but if we're being honest, anyone who has lived here and tracks weather knew it would be the same song/dance. Storms that blow up in IL/IN/OH normally do NOT bode well for us in these setups, period. 

You got it right for the wrong reason, it had nothing to do with instability. It had everything to do with the fact the LLJ which was progged to focus on SEMI ended up focusing on N OH, where all the heavy rain is.

The position of the LLJ is always dictated, at least partially, by where the best convection tracks (especially if said convection morphs into a pseudo-cold front via their outflow/cold pool). The writing was clearly on the wall.

If there's any positive side, it is still only mid-June and there should be plenty of other opportunities for strong/severe t'storms.

Good call.

One can call it being negative or whatever, but if we're being honest, anyone who has lived here and tracks weather knew it would be the same song/dance. Storms that blow up in IL/IN/OH normally do NOT bode well for us in these setups, period.

I do agree, but I will say it's a slippery slope to use climo in short term forecasting. We have one local forecaster who loves doing this same thing, his name is Rich Luterman. You will be right 9 times out of 10 doing it but one of these days, you'll be caught with your pants down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dial it back, first off I said the convection was increasing over SW MI not SE MI and the LLJ ended up veering and focusing more on Northern OH which wasn't forecast. You might want to go back and reread my posts because I didn't say anything about convection over SEMI.

I'm sorry, but I didn't see SW Michigan mentioned once by you, and in your next post you mentioned how the cold front wasn't moving fast enough, and as a result, most of the metro would receive heavy rain.  In this case, dmc76 handled the situation with ease and recognized trends (be it seasonal and radar trends, which were showing a downtick as well).

Why would anyone use seasonal trends in short term forecasting? 

Hell if I know, seasonal trends aren't why the forecast ended up being right. It was entirely due to the LLJ not moving as far north as forecast and instead veering into Ohio.

I'm NOT excited about the frost potential tonight.  point has 36 for a low, but being a cool spot, I usually go lower on setups like this.  Got lots of plants to bring inside this evening. UGH!

Should be the last frost, as mid June is  climo here.

Now if I can get to 80, that would be nice...or 70's even.  Been stuck in the 60's for highs for what seems like forever.

Archived