• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2015 Spring/Summer Banter & complaint thread

dmc76

Technical departures rarely match up with perception and this one might be the best example.   How many days have you been outside in short sleeved shirts this April?   I bet much fewer than past Aprils.  As someone who spends most of his time outdoors, I can tell you it's been a sucky cool spring.   We haven't had the sporadic much above normal days you expect to have in April, the kind that make you think true spring has finally arrived.   So at best we've been cruising around normal with cold winds and not a lot of sunshine.  We'll have to see how April finishes out, but I'd bet those yellows are going to fade out on that map.

On another note, the blooming season has been one of the most pathetic i can recall.   Trees that have bloomed only lasted for a very short time and the quality was sub par.    

I'll give you March was cool/cold. Seems we're on a run of those lately. But April here in central Indiana has been a relative to normal torch...outside of the past 5 days. At LAF, 10 of the first 18 days of the month had temps of 65˚+. Normal for that period is starting at 57˚ and ending at 64˚. IMO, it's been a rather pleasant April. I've seen worse. In the end though, each person has their own definition of warm versus not, which is understandable. Regardless, warmth coming in the extended range. Enjoy. :)

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The blooming of trees seems to be ever so slightly behind schedule, probably due to another harsh winter as April hasnt been a cold month overall. People always seem to get antsy this time of year lol.

Going back to 2010, the trees blooming seemed to be...

2010: earlier than normal

2011: later than normal

2012: wayyyy earlier than normal

2013: later than normal

2014: way later than normal

2015: slightly later than normal

Based on projected highs/lows thru Thursday, the last day of April, I project April will finish between 0.5F and 1.0F warmer than normal at Detroit. This will be just the 4th month in the last 18 months to finish warmer than normal, even though only slightly so!

I agree with Tim on this one. Could April have been better? Sure, it always can. But if you just separate average high temperature departures so far this month, you get this.

A few chilly days, a few crummy days....actually probably more "very nice days" than most Aprils around here. 65 from tuesday on and close to 80 by Saturday. The light is there at the end of the tunnel....but the tunnel wasn't really all that long to begin with IMO.

I know a lot of it is "how things feel" when it comes to the banter end of things...but really this feels like the closest thing to a normal spring that we have had since before 2012 at least (all things considered).

I understand the complaints and i understand the "not so bad" comments....which to me means it was prolly a relatively average spring.

It could always be worse. Though no one in the world is alive to remember it, Detroit got 5" of snow on May 21-22, 1883. Imagine the public reaction if THAT happened today.

Meh, could probably say the same thing about the severe weather outbreak back in January 2008...

Considering the winter banter/complaint thread lights up when winter is still much snowier than normal, its no surprise an April only slightly warmer than normal is met with disapproval ;)

I'm at +0.9F with a few days left. Will probably finish up around that figure.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ovweather

Would be nice to get some rain in the lower OV. After the incredibly wet late Feb thru mid April period, it has actually gotten fairly dry with the sunny days and above normal temps.

What's up with never being able to pull off a good severe weather outbreak lately

We had decent events in the late summer last year. If today was April or June and we blew it, I would have been upset. May severe events tend to be coin flips as you don't have the dynamics of an April setup and you don't usually have the thermodynamics of a June setup. The positive take away from today is we are adding more and more soil moisture that could be used later on with a June potential.

We've had some warm days in the 70's, but we've only really had two days of some amazing sunshine and warm 80° give or take a couple degrees.

All of last week/weekend was supposed to be 75-80° and ended up being 60-65° with rain.

Now I feel like I'm just b****ing to b**** but I sure wouldn't mind 70's and no more frost at night - I can't believe I'm still waiting on planting and it's the middle of May.

What a loser of a system today's turned out to be.  I'm ready for ring of fire/derecho season already.  Large synoptic systems can be so disappointing east of the Plains.

Awful.  Just had a little popcorn storm come thru.  Alec was right.  It was gonna be zzzzzz day.  

You know it's bad when you get  excited about any storm to fire up.    

What a loser of a system today's turned out to be.  I'm ready for ring of fire/derecho season already.  Large synoptic systems can be so disappointing east of the Plains.

From a severe weather perspective, April / May hasn't normally produced here as long as I've been alive. So I'll never get the hype about Spring severe weather.

The only notable exceptions are May 23, 2011 and April 25, 2009 (neither of which were major outbreaks, just localized events associated with weak shortwaves).

June and July are the most climatologically favorable months at this longitude/latitude. August has been consistently active in the past decade or so also.

Awful.  Just had a little popcorn storm come thru.  Alec was right.  It was gonna be zzzzzz day.  

You know it's bad when you get  excited about any storm to fire up.    

I would love just to have a solid t'storm at this point. HAven't had one since April 9th (and have missed them in every single direction since then).

From a severe weather perspective, April / May hasn't normally produced here as long as I've been alive. So I'll never get the hype about Spring severe weather.

The only notable exceptions are May 23, 2011 and April 25, 2009 (neither of which were major outbreaks, just localized events associated with weak shortwaves).

Go back before the 80s, then you'll understand.

Archived