joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Congratulations on #1, Boston

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough call sitting in the terminal. If it was sticking the record is in the books but it was wet for a while. Need another 30 minutes of 1/2 mike viz to nail it.

You are almost 70, I dedicate this record, kinah herah to old man winter!

Hey still have 20.5 months to go! Don't jinx it! Where are you going?

I poked in this thread to see if boston broke their record out of curiosity and see there is interesting discussion. First of all its funny to see the same thing happened in Boston wrt breaking the record this winter as happened in Detroit last winter, to the tenth of the inch. Well, here it was more of a long severe winter whereas you guys had a shorter but more historic blitz beginning in late Jan. But the end result was the same. Winters severity subsided in mid-Mar 2014 with DTW 1.9" short of the record. That record was then set with a 3.2" snowfall in April, but it was scary for a moment. The media was all over it, just as they are in Boston.

But I also see discussion has evolved over where snow was measured. A lot of people always like to joke about snow being measured on the runway at whatever airport, but in most cases thats rarely what happens. While its certainly true that its not always representative of an entire metro, unless a NWS office is located at an airport (there are still a few), in most cases either the FAA, a paid snow observer, or a volunteer observer take the measurments in an area in or near the airport. They like it to be within a 5 mile radius of the airport, but they do make exceptions (Denvers is outrageous, something like 15 miles away from DEN). DTW's snow is measured in a rural location on the extreme south side of the airport property. I cant say for other cities, but its certainly plausible that some are measured in someones backyard (as long as they are close to the airport). If you look at any first-order stations monthly summaries on NCDC, if you scroll a few pages down it will tell you under "REMARKS" how the snow is measured (ie, "volunteer observer", "paid snow obsever" or "snowpaid", "faa observer", etc). So of course the NWS/media/etc will say "at Logan" or "at wherever" but its coming from that paid or volunteer observer. Not sure how BOS does their PNS statements but if they list BOS and Winthrop, Im willing to bet those numbers always match to the tenth :P

Wouldn't this come down to the ultimate irony if we fall short of a record by a couple of tenths of an inch.  It would be interesting to see the percent of the years that no measurable snow fell in Boston after 3/15. Does anyone have any idea?  Maybe 50% but I have no idea on that one.

Just posted this and saw it was broken as I posted.  Good job glad they did it!!!

Archived