• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Congratulations on #1, Boston

40/70 Benchmark

To me, I'm realizing I won't see a winter like this again in the Boston area. So everything for the rest of my life is gravy. Now I concentrate on othe bucket list items like a solar eclipse (100%), traveling to places I have not yet been, and finding the fountain of youth.

Is that what you said in 1996? Not sure if you plan on sticking around this area for another 20 years or so... I think you mentioned an easier location climate wise might be in the cards

Glad you got to witness this, an amazing season for you

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just picturing you and Whiteminster holding my neck down with your foot..a deep, dark, and horrific laugh. Ray giving me DDTs 1980s style.

Although ORH is right there behind me.

Lol One thing I will add in defense of 1996 on a grander scale is the coverage of the epicosity that year. I'm not sure that will ever be rivaled. It was the super storm of seasons. This is pretty localized....like a LES season.

Is that what you said in 1996? Not sure if you plan on sticking around this area for another 20 years or so... I think you mentioned an easier location climate wise might be in the cards

Glad you got to witness this, an amazing season for you

96 I was young relatively speaking. Now in 20 years I'll be 88 if I live that long. Obviously were talking about a different life period. I realize we can't really leave the area until our daughter is out of college...about 7 years presuming health holds up.

Lol One thing I will add in defense of 1996 on a grander scale is the coverage of the epicosity that year. I'm not sure that will ever be rivaled. It was the super storm of seasons. This is pretty localized....like a LES season.

1995-1996 was also basically 5-6 months of fury...it started in mid-November and went until April 10th....hell, we even got snow on May 6, 1996 (though not measurable) in ORH.

The only real stain on 1995-1996 was the catastrophic meltdown in the 2nd half of January.

Ugly bloops are 1/2 inch car toppers, hardly ugly with blowing snow, near blizzard conditions with 1/4 mile vis. Done in style not quantity but quality.

I agree, this was NOT ugly

I got 2.5" in Melrose  (probably a touch more , 2.5 when I got home measured when I got home)  and  when I pulled into N shore Mall in Peabody we had mid winter conditions. Blowing snow...low visibility..

The Impulse itself was a bit of a surprise that it dropped about 3' in BOS and 4 in parts of S shore, If we're doing baseball analogies,I would liken that sort of impact, to a pinch hit Rocket Double of the center field wall by Ortiz.

1995-1996 was also basically 5-6 months of fury...it started in mid-November and went until April 10th....hell, we even got snow on May 6, 1996 (though not measurable) in ORH.

The only real stain on 1995-1996 was the catastrophic meltdown in the 2nd half of January.

And that's a gentle way of saying that. Yeesh.

That season is still #1 for areal coverage in my book....deep interior, coast, mid atl, sne, nne....didn't matter. Obviously nne didn't do AS well, but most of them did better than this year, save for downeast ME. Weak el Ninos are simply not cut from that cloth....they focus their fury on e ne.

Started as rain here. Weymouth can't lose

There was earlier light showers, but I was not home. I meant that actual band itself. I think some people were getting some mix or graupel at the start. It was also lift dependent, and CAA was coming from the NE of all places. 

Eh' I'm not sure it is a once in a lifetime winter for you. Epic but repeatable if we are perhaps entering an era of extremes.

Well I mean in terms of how it went down. I suppose a stretched out season could give these numbers. I'm sure I'll pay the piper soon enough..it can be feast or famine sometimes...but when it's cold enough...the ocean is my friend.

Eh' I'm not sure it is a once in a lifetime winter for you. Epic but repeatable if we are perhaps entering an era of extremes.

probably not in the short period since it was never done before,probably not in combination with the cold as that was never done before. Numbers like in 96 were high but there were many thaw days, even going into March was bare ground in 96 for many. Depth never recovered from the early Jan thaw.

I'd prefer a more more elongated winter like 95-96 or 02-03. But if you wanna give me 100" in 5 weeks, by all means...Congrats Boston.

95-96 was a hall of fame season with a terrible mid season slump which took some of the awestruck feeling away. This year starting in a slump and then having an OBP of 1000 for 5 weeks just feels better.

I have no idea how people are comparing 95-96 and this! I have absolutely Extensive and ExAUsting work on the best winters.

The only winter that deserves to beat this one for the whole region of Eastern SNE is 1947-1948. 1995-1996 had 1 20 day period of awesomeness. It was too much of 2004-2005's Snow then melt. For Boston, it's not even Remotely close.

never crossed my mind

I don't know what is so difficult to understand about a "grander scale".... I was speaking to impact over the eastern US as a whole.

I get that this season was better in eastern MA.

Jesus.

Blizzard of '78 was far worse here than the Superstorm, but which greatly impacted more people?

We need to top off this winter now with some gangbuster big storm like the one we had on April 1 some years back.  Would be great to add another 10-20" to secure this record.  It's been an amazing run the past recent years with so much snow.  Weenies will be complaining again next November but what a great run of seasons the last several years for Boston.  Is it all weather with  seasonal records being broken so often or does climate change come into it somehow?

Archived