SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 25th-26th Winter Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It generally means there's warmer air in the higher levels....Snow melts and stick together creating the larger snow flakes. Smaller snow flakes means it's colder in the upper atmosphere because the flakes aren't sticking together with each other.

Bigger snowflakes means there's always a chance it could transition towards sleet or rain.

Exactly!  Omg, it's absolutely ripping right now!  The roads are starting to get that cloudy look to them. Should be covered shortly.

I think I'm in for a fun night.  Should stay on the good side of he storm. My coworkers in Southern Wake will be disappointed in the morning.  Good thing we work by the airport!

35F and lots of rain here in central SC.

My biggest observation and surprise about this storm so far is that this storm has turned into another Knoxville, northern North Carolina, and Virginia storm.  I don't recall anybody forecasting knoxville for 3-5 inches of snow yesterday.  Maybe I wasn't paying close attention, but all of these snow maps that I've seen posted on this forum as of today should have been 80-100 miles north.  This is a mid-south/mid atlantic storm almost exclusively aside from Texas to Alabama.

It generally means there's warmer air in the higher levels....Snow melts and stick together creating the larger snow flakes. Smaller snow flakes means it's colder in the upper atmosphere because the flakes aren't sticking together with each other.

Bigger snowflakes means there's always a chance it could transition towards sleet or rain.

That's good for me then because the big giant flakes are now much smaller!

What part of Durham? I'm in Durham too and we had about 5 mins of rain/snow mix but it's been all snow since. I daresay moderately heavy snow now, cars are getting covered.

(Still snow, falling pretty fast, here near the Southpoint mall, so the RTP-wards end of Durham. Granted I'm a lurker and my apartment is in the midst of dark trees, but it's definitely snow not rain, as of 21:30ish.)

Just a cold raw rain here on James Island. About 39 degrees, but it has been pouring for last 2 hours.

KCHS added sleet in the grid forecast for Berkeley and Charleston Counties north of I-26 until 10 pm. Got some really heavy rains coming shortly based on radar. Too bad this isn't snow. Dayum.

(Still snow, falling pretty fast, here near the Southpoint mall, so the RTP-wards end of Durham. Granted I'm a lurker and my apartment is in the midst of dark trees, but it's definitely snow not rain, as of 21:30ish.)

Right near me then, I'm right off Fayetteville / Woodcroft. Pretty massive flakes pouring down now., Parking lot is just wet but cars / grass are covered. Well, getting covered.

Archived