joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Mixed Bag of WTF storm thread

Ji

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have several good models to go, but I think the possibility exists that northern sections may struggle to lose 850's.

My hunch is that surface temps will fail to warm as quickly as progged. If the peak of that warm advection aloft were occurring during the daylight hours, that'd be one thing, but combine a frozen, snowcovered ground with zero insolation and you have a recipe for a big inversion/weak boundary layer winds.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadfulOfSnow

This is where we stand. I'll update again around 1 am.

There is still quite a bit of uncertainty at this range. Here are my latest thoughts for DC proper (Still general and likely will need to be fine tuned).

11 am to 7pm - Snow, occasionally mixing with sleet, becomes moderate to heavy in the afternoon. Temps in the mid 20s, gradually rise to around freezing by 7pm

7pm - 9pm - Snow changes over to sleet and then quickly to rain with temperatures climbing to above freezing.

9pm - 5am - Rain, becoming lighter as we head through the night. Temps in the mid 30s.

Total snow accumulation: 2-4"

I think this is going to be uniform between downtown and the close in suburbs so i do not see 1" for Alexandria and 6" for Rockville but rather a uniform 4-6".

I definitely wouldn't call this run meh. It is worlds better than the crappy 18Z NAM.

It's much better for you and a little better for me than 18Z. But I thought it would even be better, which I guess is my fault for extrapolating the model. Anyway, if the other models trend the same way, even a little, we'll all be in the jackpot.

NAM is **** unless it pounds us with snow.

It and the sref are both horrid.  Makes me worry about our forecast.  I think I'll be lucky to get more than an inch.  I know the nAM sucks but I'm not sure I trust the GFS and can remember lots of times when the band ends up north of it.  Of course that was the old GFS, I still don't know about the new one. 

Archived