joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Mixed Bag of WTF storm thread

Ji

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your (educated) guess on this Wes?.

I'm sort of a pessimist in terms of DCA as we usually get screwed but I don't trust the NAM and worry that the GFS still may have a slight south bias so I guess I'm saying, I don't know.  The 15Z SREF gives DC anywhere from a dusting to 3.6 inches and i think that is a pretty good range for DCA.  you northern guys the bottom end of the range range is higher and so is the top. 

I'm sort of a pessimist in terms of DCA as we usually get screwed but I don't trust the NAM and worry that the GFS still may have a slight south bias so I guess I'm saying, I don't know.  The 15Z SREF gives DC anywhere from a dusting to 3.6 inches and i think that is a pretty good range for DCA.  you northern guys the bottom end of the range range is higher and so is the top. 

Thank you very much Wes. 

• post-322-0-24075300-1424469141.png
  •  

Seems to be rare to see a nose of the heavier stuff extend to the SE and cover DC like that and leave BWI out of the game.  Especially when the rest of the map in the DELMARVA is pretty linear from SW to NE.  As much as I'd love to see it (sorry Bal) it's rough to contemplate the cold holding in to support a bump like that.  

And a really bearish forecast to my east from LWX.

They could be exactly right. It's just a weird one. The stripe of heavy precip when the column is right isn't resolved. Standard practice with dicey storms is to go weak 95 and se and go big nw. 

I would think 0z runs will clear up some uncertainty but maybe not. lol

Uh-oh LWX if the gfs is right.

I don't necessarily think so.  Actually, I believe that LWX's forecast is pretty reasonable for right now, at least for the I-95 corridor area (which is what I paid most attention to).  The 12Z guidance was solid and the 18Z GFS/RGEM came in looking good.  But the 18Z NAM (even if it's the NAM!) gives one pause, plus the fact that even in the "good" guidance the DC area is kind of on the edge.  So reaching warning criteria there is a lot less certain right now compared to areas farther west.  An advisory for now is perfectly fine.  I'm sure if things at 00Z show the immediate metro area getting pummeled, they can easily upgrade that to a warning.

They could be exactly right. It's just a weird one. The stripe of heavy precip when the column is right isn't resolved. Standard practice with dicey storms is to go weak 95 and se and go big nw. 

Odds are that the uncertainty is definitely quite certain!! :lmao:

It is but that's how these events always are. easy to get screwed and almost impossible to know ahead of time what the orientation of the initial heaiver precip band will have.  The NAM takes it north of us and the GFS hits us. 

I'd definitely rather have the GFS in my camp than the NAM. GFS might be good now. 

Well just about anything COULD be right. The forecast seems to ignore all except the NAM. As for future runs, I'm sure by 18 z tomorrow we'll know. I was surprised by the WWA

corrected/changed to 2-4

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-EASTERN LOUDOUN-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...ANNAPOLIS...MANASSAS...MANASSAS PARK...FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH...LEESBURG...ASHBURN519 PM EST FRI FEB 20 2015...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM SATURDAYTO 6 AM EST SUNDAY...* PRECIPITATION TYPE...A MIX OF SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN  SATURDAY THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW. ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF A  TRACE TO A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH.--------------------------------------------------------NORTHERN BALTIMORE-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-NORTHWEST MONTGOMERY-CENTRAL AND SOUTHEASTERN MONTGOMERY-NORTHWEST HOWARD-CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST HOWARD-NORTHWEST HARFORD-SOUTHEAST HARFORD-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PARKTON...REISTERSTOWN...COCKEYSVILLE...BALTIMORE...DUNDALK...CATONSVILLE...GERMANTOWN...DAMASCUS...ROCKVILLE...LISBON...COLUMBIA...ELLICOTT CITY...JARRETTSVILLE...ABERDEEN519 PM EST FRI FEB 20 2015...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM SATURDAYTO 9 AM EST SUNDAY...* PRECIPITATION TYPE...A MIX OF SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN  SATURDAY THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW. ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF A  TRACE TO A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH.

corrected/changed to 2-4

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-

PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-

ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-EASTERN LOUDOUN-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...ANNAPOLIS...MANASSAS...

MANASSAS PARK...FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH...LEESBURG...

ASHBURN

519 PM EST FRI FEB 20 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM SATURDAY

TO 6 AM EST SUNDAY...

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...A MIX OF SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN

SATURDAY THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW. ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF A

TRACE TO A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH.

--------------------------------------------------------

NORTHERN BALTIMORE-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-NORTHWEST MONTGOMERY-

CENTRAL AND SOUTHEASTERN MONTGOMERY-NORTHWEST HOWARD-

CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST HOWARD-NORTHWEST HARFORD-SOUTHEAST HARFORD-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PARKTON...REISTERSTOWN...COCKEYSVILLE...

BALTIMORE...DUNDALK...CATONSVILLE...GERMANTOWN...DAMASCUS...

ROCKVILLE...LISBON...COLUMBIA...ELLICOTT CITY...JARRETTSVILLE...

ABERDEEN

519 PM EST FRI FEB 20 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM SATURDAY

TO 9 AM EST SUNDAY...

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...A MIX OF SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN

SATURDAY THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW. ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF A

TRACE TO A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH.

Basically nothing still matches on their website

Archived