Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Mixed Bag of WTF storm thread

Ji

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it did move toward the GFS, so that's a good sign vs. moving worse

That's just it. Knife edge stuff but it didn't dagger us or anything. The new gfs has been better than the old gfs at short range but that still doesn't mean the 18z solution can't move north 30 miles.

Other guidance like the ukie/rgem have been much more steady but that doesn't mean they can shift 30 miles either.

Euro improved from last night but again, things are moving around. If the rgem looks dicey for me then the uneasy feeling starts in earnest. I never really believed the cities and close burbs were going to get hammered either way.

Just checked...there's enough of a warm layer in there that I'm not sure much of it is snow out here...if it comes down hard enough probably but I suspect this will be yet another decrease in snow totals at jyo...even gfs was a pretty nasty mixed bag for jyo...sleet bomb incoming

Just checked...there's enough of a warm layer in there that I'm not sure much of it is snow out here...if it comes down hard enough probably but I suspect this will be yet another decrease in snow totals at jyo...even gfs was a pretty nasty mixed bag for jyo...sleet bomb incoming

Looking forward to several hours of "heavy snow it is so pretty" obs from Leesburg followed by "that's it?" from Ji when it cuts to drizzle after 6 inches. :)

I checked the data for KOKV and things look ok until about 0z and then the warm layers are pretty marginal, surface still below

Looking forward to several hours of "heavy snow it is so pretty" obs from Leesburg followed by "that's it?" from Ji when it cuts to drizzle after 6 inches. :)

Ha...probably ....I'm not smart enough to know how warm it can get at say 900 and still be snow...if it's +0.8 - +1.2 can that be overcome and be snow?

My highest total snowfall has been 3 inches so I think I'll take the sleet bomb.

My bar is a deeper snowpack Sun night than I have Sat morning. Those southerlies will be roaring and won't have a problem scouring out the cold, even at the surface.

Winds in the boundary layer will be very light, actually, given the inversion. I'm more concerned that we flip to ZR and struggle to warm 2m temps overnight (esp given the lack of any solar help).

The surface itself is an icebox right now.

It and the sref are both horrid. Makes me worry about our forecast. I think I'll be lucky to get more than an inch. I know the nAM sucks but I'm not sure I trust the GFS and can remember lots of times when the band ends up north of it. Of course that was the old GFS, I still don't know about the new one.

Sadly when the NAM suggests i95 fail it's usually right.

Archived