joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Mixed Bag of WTF storm thread

Ji

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

topper shutt lied that storm. he said they sent weather balloons up and confirmed that everything in the upper levels were good enough for all snow...then we got 5 inches of miserable sleet

You are thinking of the Feb 1994 sleet storm.  The January storm was about 1-3" of snow in northern VA then a LOT of freezing rain.  Awful ice storm.  Just north of or area got crazy snow totals from what was basically a front with a wave low well north of us along it.  Crazy overrunning.  This is not a perfect match but the overall setup is similar.  I was just comparing the two, not two storms will be exactly the same.  Maybe we get a similar result and just shift it 50 miles south. 

You are thinking of the Feb 1994 sleet storm.  The January storm was about 1-3" of snow in northern VA then a LOT of freezing rain.  Awful ice storm.  Just north of or area got crazy snow totals from what was basically a front with a wave low well north of us along it.  Crazy overrunning.  This is not a perfect match but the overall setup is similar.  I was just comparing the two, not two storms will be exactly the same.  Maybe we get a similar result and just shift it 50 miles south. 

oh yea...thats right. The ice storm was amazing if i remember. It was raining in the teens.The Feb 1994 storm was devestating. called for more than 12 inches of snow and got 5 of sleet. That winter sucked

Psu might be thinking of the great sleet storm of 8" we had in Jan 94 but 20 miles north got 15-18" of snow .can't remember the exact date ..sorry

i think the sleet storm was from a low that formed along a stalled out front down south after a storm that came through a couple days before.  i remember that low going further west than expected.  the only difference was we were expected to get 4-8" snow and ended up with sleet (like 5" of it).  laguardia got dumped on.

oh yea...thats right. The ice storm was amazing if i remember. It was raining in the teens.The Feb 1994 storm was devestating. called for more than 12 inches of snow and got 5 of sleet. That winter sucked

every time I hear the numbers 93, 94 in succession, my blood boils

saying that winter sucked just doesn't do justice to how bad it really was for us

Archived