joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th-17th Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our concrete sidewalk is already covered [edit: with a very thin but uniform layer]. It takes a storm with serious credentials to say that--it is *always* the last place for snow to stick. 

The brick public sidewalk is covered as well, and our cobblestone street has full coverage in the parking lanes and is starting to stick in the traffic lanes.

(south side of Capitol Hill)

I think I'm good for 7-8 maybe more.

I was going to post about the 4k's progression of precip earlier but dumb work got in the way. 

DC will remain in good rates as the re-alignment happens. If I had to guess, there will be decent banding as this happens. Right now we still have w-nw surface flow. That should shift easterly as the coastal gets going. Fingers crossed that everything goes well...

Haven't measured (.25-.5" or so), but 12* and a steady light snow is pretty sweet. Awesome that it started so early, too. Cold snow in the daytime...sweet.

Also funny to see the salt-encrusted roads that were covered almost immediately.

The chief reason they dump a lot of salt on roads before a big storm is not so-much so it doesn't stick right away. It's so that it's far easier to plow off later, cause the salt  is supposed to work to create a bond/barrier that prevents a layer of ice forming underneath the snow. But doesn't always work out as planned.

.6 so far 13 degrees.

Just made the 8 mile drive home from work. The roads are absolutely atrocious. It is amazing how fast they turn to ice at 14 degrees. Just over half an inch with light snow. Have been checking out the flakes under a magnifying glass. They are clumped dendrites. Very pretty.

Archived