• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PrinsWX
    Newest Member
    PrinsWX
superjames1992

February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

I can see them rising some but not 12/13 degrees.  Our normal zr events don't start at 19 degrees.

My street is just wet, don't think roads will be a problem.

Just walked to a bar in plaza midwood (CLT)..pissing rain, some sidewalks and curbs icing up. Streets seem to be 'ok'...being extra cautious walking beside a realatively heavily trafficked road. Gonna be bad tomorrow.

Just wanted a decent warm dinner/drink before the lights go out.

Wilde is somewhat right.. Based on the heavy rates coming, if it's not at least somewhat sleet temps will spike from latent heat release.

I can see them rising some but not 12/13 degrees.  Our normal zr events don't start at 19 degrees.

I agree that we will not get close to freezing, but we will probably start slowly climbing upwards when returns get heavy enough.  

**sleet and some freezing rain mix. Still 18.0 degrees.

Just walked to a bar in plaza midwood (CLT)..pissing rain, some sidewalks and curbs icing up. Streets seem to be 'ok'...being extra cautious walking beside a realatively heavily trafficked road. Gonna be bad tomorrow.

Just wanted a decent warm dinner/drink before the lights go out.

Interesting - been a steady moderate FZRN in Northlake Charlotte (temp at 26-27 degrees) for past 2 hours.

My street is just wet, don't think roads will be a problem.

I've already had a near crash experience tonight with black ice... We'll see. That dusting we got earlier might change things some. Im probably wrong though, this is my first true ice storm

It's back to mostly sleet here with the heavier returns. Hopefully that'll be the pattern for a while to cut down on ice. As it is, I think we may be getting close to 0.05" or more of accretion already.

Yea it looks that way. Woudnl't be surprised to see some periods of pure sleet still mix in.

The last time I saw this was in like the mid 90's back in Hickory. Crazy stuff bro. 

I bet..that's insane for the southeast. 

It's officially gotten bad here. I heard what i thought was thunder but instead I just had a medium sized live oak tree limb crash on my house and the limps of the tree itself is nearly touching the ground which is a first. I know they have grown over the years but damn. Cedar trees look pitiful.  Between that and the cedar trees, part of my driveway is blocked off now.

Easily 0.25 to 0.35 ice accumulation.. Still no warnings here or advisories or warnings just south of here in equally hard hit areas. I will be very lucky if i keep power tonight.

Oh they're getting to be a problem across Wake County already.

Agreed...I'm listening to the scanner HKY posted.  They've got issues now.

And I get to hear my first tree branches crashing, EMC up to 15% of customers out, granted that's only around 10,000 customers but still relatively speaking a large percentage, and that's just our county.

Heavy rain right now with accretion still ongoing.

roads totally iced over here in north hills.  precip rates are very light so it is frz rain, heavy rates are almost over me so it should turn to sleet shortly.   could hardly walk across the street to take my dog out.

Wilde is somewhat right.. Based on the heavy rates coming, if it's not at least somewhat sleet temps will spike from latent heat release.

But the thing is... latent heat release at the surface due to freezing precipitation is offset by the continued advection of northeasterly flow from VA and northward. The airmass located north of you guys is arctic in nature and should have no problem locking in 20-25F temps across raleigh and points northward.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/lb13_img/hrrr/hrrr_ncep_2d_flt.php

All I can say is God is smiling down on MBY...still all sleet, with virtually no ice on trees as of yet. Wonder how much more precip I have left before this ends, and how much might be fz rain..

9pm report, north Chapel Hill NC: Moderate sleet. No mixing, I checked carefully with a dark dry cloth for liquid and there is no zr. 19.7 degrees. About a half inch of accumulation from onset snow for first hour and ongoing ip.

But the thing is... latent heat release at the surface due to freezing precipitation is offset by the continued advection of northeasterly flow from VA and northward. The airmass located north of you guys is arctic in nature and should have no problem locking in 20-25F temps across raleigh and points northward.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/lb13_img/hrrr/hrrr_ncep_2d_flt.php

Thanks Phil! I'm I didn't know how strong the CAA was

I bet..that's insane for the southeast.

It's officially gotten bad here. I heard what i thought was thunder but instead I just had a medium sized live oak tree limb crash on my house and the limps of the tree itself is nearly touching the ground which is a first. I know they have grown over the years but damn. Cedar trees look pitiful. Between that and the cedar trees, part of my driveway is blocked off now.

Easily 0.25 to 0.35 ice accumulation.. Still no warnings here or advisories or warnings just south of here in equally hard hit areas. I will be very lucky if i keep power tonight.

Well, there goes our power.....a lot of NE Gwinnett is now out of power. This sucks!

Welp...It's like the 4th of July here. Constant booms of transformers and cracks of trees. I thinks a sub station near by got hit. A series of bright green flashes on the western horizion followed by a couple brownouts. Just heard a couple booms and giant buzz sound. Somehow we still have power but canle and internet is down.