joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you believe the multiple short range models then nearly all of Cumberland county is a snow hole.  Looks like about 3" max for me.  I know the question has been asked already, but what would cause such a unique drop off of precip in such a relatively small geographic area?  It looks like the precip echoes are coming in from the southwest and not due west.  That should mean the precip parallels Blue Mountain which I would think would negate downslope. 

Disheartening news (for my area) to say the least.  Looks like it also affects you, djr, and Sauss and Canderson.  (I know it's not just Cumberland county but I'm focusing on my local region as I comment).  Perhaps it will be more uniformly distributed?  We'll see.

Steady light snow here.

It looks like there may be an area of subsidence later this evening between the developing front over eastern PA and the md-level frontogenesis/upslope precipitation over the Allegheny plateau. Also, 925 mb winds look to be mainly south-southeasterly which may produce some downsloping effects in the valleys. There still should be some decent WAA/isentropic lift to force ascent this afternoon over a more broad region of PA.

I love how the high res models and the NAM show that some of the highest snow totals (warning criteria) will fall in southern York and Lancaster counties near the line, but yet State College refuses to put out a winter storm warning. They are going to get burned big time if the NAM is right...

Update: Hahaha and as soon as I posted that, they did it! Finally!

Archived