joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Biemsderfer stadium. Home of our Penn Manor Comets!

It's snowing harder in the 'Ville than it is up here. 

Yep! Spent my high school years performing with the band in that stadium at our football games. :)

Big difference in conditions across the county. Looks like it just started in New Holland (lived there for a couple years too.) Neat little town.

http://www.nhpaweather.com/wxwebcam.php

Got 1.2" with the initial pulse with just some flurries at the moment. There should be a second press of precip that'll try to rebuild this afternoon but I was expecting better results from the initial stuff. That and the weakness in the central counties does in fact look to be coming to fruition. Pretty amazing how this came all the way from a mainly rainer to a snow event that will be focusing on the southern tier or even below that. 

Got 1.2" with the initial pulse with just some flurries at the moment. There should be a second press of precip that'll try to rebuild this afternoon but I was expecting better results from the initial stuff. That and the weakness in the central counties does in fact look to be coming to fruition. Pretty amazing how this came all the way from a mainly rainer to a snow event that will be focusing on the southern tier or even below that. 

Just another turn in this chaotic season. It's as if the models couldn't see the cold air until it was too late.

There's no need to let a warning simply expire if the conditions no longer necessitate the warning's existence. This is why I think having strict criterion for warning vs advisory is a bit flawed. I wonder if it would just make sense to get rid of the "winter storm warning" and "winter storm watch" altogether and just use "winter weather advisory" as an all-purpose term.

I mean, even when using the term "warning", they're really just advising the public as to what is going on. But the public are smart. They know that a warning warrants more caution than an advisory, even though a warning is really just an advisory.

So you may as well just advise the public as to what is going on. You can warn morons all you want -- they're still morons.

Archived