joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was working and wondering if anyone could answer my questions.

1. How much snow is Cambria County looking to get?

2. Is Cambria County in the QPF hole I have read about in this forum.

Thanks

The QPF hole that has been discussed about has generally been modeled just east of the Laurels. I still don't particularly agree on such a pronounced downsloping look and associated lower totals in the central counties in this setup. At any rate, the Laurels region is perhaps the best positioned to see some of the highest QPF and potential totals from this system. CTP's updated warning statement mentions mostly 4-7" with possibly up to 9" in the Laurels, which I think is reasonable. The high ground of that region is obviously going to squeeze a bit more QPF, but I think precip will be more uniform across the rest of the state. 

The QPF hole that has been discussed about has generally been modeled just east of the Laurels. I still don't particularly agree on such a pronounced downsloping look and associated lower totals in the central counties in this setup. At any rate, the Laurels region is perhaps the best positioned to see some of the highest QPF and potential totals from this system. CTP's updated warning statement mentions mostly 4-7" with possibly up to 9" in the Laurels, which I think is reasonable. The high ground of that region is obviously going to squeeze a bit more QPF, but I think precip will be more uniform across the rest of the state. 

Thanks. I have to work tomorrow also, which should be fun. It's -2 here currently. 

Okay, so the low passes to our west and we get 6-8" from a frontal passage? Weird.

Area forecast discussion 

National Weather Service State College PA 
442 am EST Sat Feb 21 2015 

We have a very vexing system to contend with over the next 12-24 
hours. 

Most 00z guidance has downplayed quantitative precipitation forecast potential for what 
essentially is a cold frontal passage. 

Confidence is high in: 
- snow arriving this morning over most of Montana forecast area. 
- Southern PA most likely seeing the highest amounts. 
- Some sort of wintry mix eventually getting involved over 
southeastern areas. 
- A fairly widespread plowable snow. 

Confidence is low in: 
- higher end amounts being much above warning threshold numbers. 
- Model qpf's in general...though the lower trend seems to make 
sense. 

Widespread light snow is breaking out over Ohio in an area of 
strong warm advection well out ahead of the surface low that is 
still over northern Texas/southern Oklahoma at this time. Short range 
guidance in good agreement tracking the system west of PA 
overnight and pushing a cold front through the region by Sunday 
morning. Past experience has taught it's hard/rare to get 
widespread warning snowfall with cold fronts

post-2050-0-03757600-1424514652_thumb.pn

I just went over to the NYC forum, and guess what??? They are STILL bickering back and forth. I am so glad that:

a. I don't live over there and have to rely on them for information and analysis...

b. that we have a great bunch of folks here, who, even when we disagree or complain, keep it mostly civil and polite...

It's a classic case of more not equalling better. There are few intelligent posters over there, but you have to really weed through the BS to find them...and their posts.

I just went over to the NYC forum, and guess what??? They are STILL bickering back and forth. I am so glad that:

a. I don't live over there and have to rely on them for information and analysis...

b. that we have a great bunch of folks here, who, even when we disagree or complain, keep it mostly civil and polite...

It's a classic case of more not equalling better. There are few intelligent posters over there, but you have to really weed through the BS to find them...and their posts.

Only about 5 posters there and their egos make it almost unbearable. That's my new local forum. I miss this happy place.

This has been quite the cold spell here in Tamaqua. One I haven't seen the likes of in quite some time. Ten consecutive days of low temps below 10 degrees, with six of them being sub-zero.

2/12... +7

2/13... +1

2/14... +1

2/15... -2

2/16... -5

2/17... +3

2/18... -4

2/19... -1

2/20... -6

2/21... -7

Allweather believes in the snow! Just woke up during his broadcast and he said their map might need edged upwards again. Yes please

Well the radar is quite impressive so far this morning. If it holds together through the mountains, and maintains it's current trajectory, we all should (hopefully) do well.

Both the HRRR/RAP (shown below) have an area of enhancement along the M-D Line. Radar trends seem to support this a bit. I could be wrong...

Capture.PNG

Snow map has def increased from last night. Local climo argues the 7-9" range to extend east to cover south mountain. Upslope plus better ratios enhance totals this way.

Archived