• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

Ok mets, what are your thoughts on the storm, I know that there were feedback issues on the models, but the nam and gfs trended very wet overnight...swpa is now showing a major storm. The issue seems to be warm air, but at least a front end thump of heavy snow looks good...

What you guys think?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok mets, what are your thoughts on the storm, I know that there were feedback issues on the models, but the nam and gfs trended very wet overnight...swpa is now showing a major storm. The issue seems to be warm air, but at least a front end thump of heavy snow looks good...

What you guys think?

NAM and especially GFS have been too warm with over running type scenarios a few times already this winter so if those rates are heavy enough the cold air certainly could hold on long enough, but I dont think those events had the western low track... the concern i guess mainly is with the western track of the low, while weak, is at what level will warmer air be pulled into region first and where will the all snow vs mixing line set up if we dont stay all snow across most of southern pa

THE MODELS ARE FINALLY SHOWING A FAIR DEGREE OF STABILITY WITH

REGARDS TO THE WEAK SHORTWAVE TROUGH THAT IS FORECAST TO SHEAR

NORTHEAST OUT OF THE SOUTHERN PLAINS AND INTO THE OH VALLEY FRI

AND SAT. THE 00Z MODELS OVERALL HAVE COME IN A TAD STRONGER BUT

THERE IS RELATIVELY GOOD AGREEMENT WITH TIMING AND DEPTH...AND

THEY ALL SUPPORT THE IDEA OF A RELATIVELY FLAT SURFACE LOW THAT

WILL DEVELOP OVER THE SOUTHERN HIGH PLAINS FRI AND THEN LIFT

NORTHEAST INTO THE LOWER GREAT LAKES REGION SAT NIGHT. THE 00Z NAM

IS NOW THE WEAKEST SOLUTION...WITH THE 00Z GFS/00Z UKMET/00Z GEM

AND 00Z ECMWF ALL CLUSTERED TOGETHER PRETTY WELL ON A MODESTLY

STRONGER SOLUTION. BASED ON THE TRENDS AND MODEL CLUSTERING...WILL

LEAN TOWARD A NON-NAM CONSENSUS.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdhmd

Sizeable snow totals increase on the new 09z SREFs, at least in State College.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index.php?YMD=20150220&RT=09&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=PSB&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=9&mLAT=40.63662579618304&mLON=-78.02059806213379&mTYP=roadmap

21z yesterday ~ 3.5" mean

03z today        ~ 5.5" mean

09z today        ~ 7" mean

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index.php?YMD=20150220&RT=09&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=PSB&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=9&mLAT=40.63662579618304&mLON=-78.02059806213379&mTYP=roadmap

That is a great link that should be part of every forecaster's toolkit.  

With a low of 0, it would take a high of 34 today or higher for Harrisburg to not move into 1st for coldest February today... Pittsburgh currently at 4th coldest... Not sure about State College rank but I know it is within a degree of the record now...

Harrisburg tied record low this morning, missed tying yesterday's by 1 degree but did tie lowest average temp for the 19th... record lowest average temp for the 20th is 11 so with an expected high of 15 we will break that for sure

17.8F (1979) is the coldest February mean in State College. Sitting at 18.6F through the 20th, which puts State College in 3rd place, just ahead of 1934! If CTP's forecast verifies, we will finish the month with a mean of 16.6F, handily beating the old record. If anything, CTP's forecast is biased warm over the next 10 days compared to deterministic output.

It's remarkable that the first half of February we had near average temperatures. The last half will average near 10F.

Another interesting stat is that the high of 8F yesterday is the latest sub-10F high on record. That's after we had the earliest sub-20F high on record back in November.

Also, we may see 17 or more days in a row with sub-10F lows. That may be a record too. Of course, this record is somewhat reliant on State College's climatology being based on 12Z to 12Z.

Even more remarkable is when you include January means. The 16.6F would rank as the 3rd coldest monthly mean. Only January 1977 (13.4F) and January 1918 (14.6F) were colder. That's extremely elite company.

We're living through weather history!

17.8F (1979) is the coldest February mean in State College. Sitting at 18.6F through the 20th, which puts State College in 3rd place, just ahead of 1934! If CTP's forecast verifies, we will finish the month with a mean of 16.6F, handily beating the old record. If anything, CTP's forecast is biased warm over the next 10 days compared to deterministic output.

It's remarkable that the first half of February we had near average temperatures. The last half will average near 10F.

Another interesting stat is that the high of 8F yesterday is the latest sub-10F high on record. That's after we had the earliest sub-20F high on record back in November.

Also, we may see 17 or more days in a row with sub-10F lows. That may be a record too. Of course, this record is somewhat reliant on State College's climatology being based on 12Z to 12Z.

Even more remarkable is when you include January means. The 16.6F would rank as the 3rd coldest monthly mean. Only January 1977 (13.4F) and January 1918 (14.6F) were colder. That's extremely elite company.

We're living through weather history!

Certainly an impressive cold stretch. I would rather be in Mexico though than experience any more sub-10F highs lol.

I imagine should the rest of the 12z suite come in looking decent CTP will get the ball rolling with warnings/advisories. Given the uncertainty and the fact that this will be coming in on the weekend I can see why they might wait longer than normal.

Agreed. If this was a weekday event they may have issued WSWatches. Also, they may not have wanted to distract the public from the dangerous temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran the plumes for AVP too. A 6.4" mean after removing an outlier - one member had almost 12". Solid clustering.

post-272-0-38895700-1424444674_thumb.png

winter storm watch  just posted for Cumberland county 5-8"

Wow -- what a drastic change from CTP.  They were a tad late to the party, however.  But better late than never.  If I can even manage to get to 5" I don't care about 8".  (Well, maybe that's not completely true).

If we get this much, we will have a great base to work with for low temps early next week.  I'm still holding out for cracking -1.  Was -0.3 degrees this morning and was -0.6 degrees Wednesday morning.  What is it with this Zero barrier down here?  The crazy thing is that I'm one of the best radiators in my area.  If the winds went calm I easily would have seen -5 or lower this morning.

Chris...I didn't know your biggest was only 3.25".  Now I don't feel so bad.

I would bet his 3.25" is on 1-24-15. he measured his and though i'm just across the mighty susky, i measured 4", which is the biggest for me to date!

Wow -- what a drastic change from CTP.  They were a tad late to the party, however.  But better late than never.  If I can even manage to get to 5" I don't care about 8".  (Well, maybe that's not completely true).

If we get this much, we will have a great base to work with for low temps early next week.  I'm still holding out for cracking -1.  Was -0.3 degrees this morning and was -0.6 degrees Wednesday morning.  What is it with this Zero barrier down here?  The crazy thing is that I'm one of the best radiators in my area.  If the winds went calm I easily would have seen -5 or lower this morning.

Yep, the winds last night into this morning killed us.

Archived