• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

Our school district did something I've never seen or heard before. They are on a THREE hour delay.

Yep never heard of that before.

When I spent two years (2000-02, 3rd/4th grades) in the Wyoming Valley West SD in Kingston, they used to do three-hour delays. But now I'm hearing of the WBASD adding them as well; they never had them when I was in grade school.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down to 5.7 degrees with a dew point of -13.1 degrees F.  This dew point is lower than the previous air mass ever got earlier this week.  If only the winds could die down overnight we would all see temps tumble.  I don't think I will make it even to -1 let alone -4.  But, it looks like we've got several more shots at sub-zero lows next week...lol.  Can't believe I'm talking about this and it's late February.

Hey djr, do you have an update on the Feb ranking through today?  If temps stay as projected through all of next week I would think we'll easily be in the top 5 coldest Febs at MDT, maybe even top 3. 

CTP doesn't seem to be responding to the colder model runs from 18Z or the Euro.  They did lower my high temp on Sunday from 47 down to 42.  Only 10 more degrees to go down.  Bet it will be 5 degrees colder tomorrow morning for Sunday.  Did you see they're going for 0.50 to 0.75 inches of liquid for the Saturday night time period?  Hmmm...

Quick obs update...temp down to 5.2 degrees and dew point continues to tumble, now down to -14.9 !!  That's just about the lowest dew point I think I have ever seen on my weather station going back to the late 80's with obs data.  The heart of this air mass must be arriving now on winds of 15 gusting to 28, wind chill -11F.

Down to 5.7 degrees with a dew point of -13.1 degrees F.  This dew point is lower than the previous air mass ever got earlier this week.  If only the winds could die down overnight we would all see temps tumble.  I don't think I will make it even to -1 let alone -4.  But, it looks like we've got several more shots at sub-zero lows next week...lol.  Can't believe I'm talking about this and it's late February.

Hey djr, do you have an update on the Feb ranking through today?  If temps stay as projected through all of next week I would think we'll easily be in the top 5 coldest Febs at MDT, maybe even top 3. 

CTP doesn't seem to be responding to the colder model runs from 18Z or the Euro.  They did lower my high temp on Sunday from 47 down to 42.  Only 10 more degrees to go down.  Bet it will be 5 degrees colder tomorrow morning for Sunday.  Did you see they're going for 0.50 to 0.75 inches of liquid for the Saturday night time period?  Hmmm...

have not run with todays numbers yet but through the 18th Harrisburg is sitting 3rd coldest Feb, 8th coldest start to a calendar year, 18th coldest Dec-Jan-Feb with 127 year record

edit: so with high of 15 and low of 5 as of 10pm through the 19th so far moves those numbers to 2nd, 6th, and 17th

Funny how we are inside 48 and as much as I wanna believe...still not going all in. Still the bullseye could be either in Rochester or Roanoke. Came north from 18z's

If it came north, how does DC pull off 8" from this?  It did add a few more inches to my immediate area...now close to 6".

Now down to 2.6F with dew point of -16.0.  I think I am going to take back what I said earlier about doubting I reach -1.  If the wind keeps up then at some point the temp will stop dropping, the question is where? 

just hit 1 here at my house... MDT down to 3... I wonder if they can dip to at least 1 before midnight to tie the record low for the 19th before breaking 0 for the 20th.  Then again anytime we expect MDT to go subzero is when it manages to stay at or just above 0.

Ok djr...here's one for you to look up:  when is the last time MDT set record low temps on two consecutive days?  I'd guess it's a pretty darn rare occurrence.

3/-14 at Millersville

Sorry for the hiatus everyone. Have not been feeling well at all this week. Will try to post more tomorrow on the impending storm. Tonight will be very cold everywhere. Lowest 850 values of season will be present around sunrise, so many areas will be below zero. Millersville record is -8, so I doubt that gets broken for tomorrow, but -4 seems do able

Boy oh boy....the NAM gives us in LSV 6" in 9 hours with the majority of it done by 0Z Sun.  Surface never goes above freezing both during and even after the storm ends.  Judging by the snowmap for the GFS it looks like the same amount of snow.  I see NWS has taken mixing out of the daytime period on Saturday and doesn't introduce mixing until nighttime...but even if that does happen, the majority of liquid has already fallen by then.

Archived