• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

Btw the morning gfs run looks much colder for this weekend. Still think there will be issues scouring out low level cold air in the valley.

I am still thinking the same thing... while temps may warm aloft (especially with lighter precip rates) to get a change from snow to sleet/rain I just don't see surface temps reaching the 40s to low 50s that some runs have been advertising.  6z runs do keep surface temps in the low to mid 30s for most of LSV, but not showing a significant amount of precip overall (especially 6z NAM).  6z GFS run does give a shot at 0 or below lows for a large number of us for 4 of the next 5 mornings... yikes.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last winter I ended up with 19" more than MDT despite me being located just 15 miles SE of the airport.

10 degrees out now with a stiffening west breeze. It will be interesting to see if temps at least get a little above what's been progged. Late February sun often leads to busted high temps...but this will be a challenge with this air mass in place.

Show off :whistle:

i hate to admit it, but i feel since we've come this far, if its going to be cold, we should at least have something to show for it, like a record low, which i think Friday morning we just might get it. I think we may actully stay negative for a couple hours. I know, i know....deep down i have a sickness. Having said i can't wait for pitchers and catchers.................

Show off :whistle:

i hate to admit it, but i feel since we've come this far, if its going to be cold, we should at least have something to show for it, like a record low, which i think Friday morning we just might get it. I think we may actully stay negative for a couple hours. I know, i know....deep down i have a sickness. Having said i can't wait for pitchers and catchers.................

Is your daughter playing at Millersville?

Is your daughter playing at Millersville?

No, they didn't recruit her and the ones who did, doesn't have the strong Teaching program Millersville does. She was asked to walk on and  One of her pitchers was recruited and is playing for them, she is also a freshman so she has been on my daughter about walking on too, but she was so beat up from last season she is still rehabbing. Last Thursday when we went down to take and her friends to dinner, she ask me to bring her catchers Mitt, so i'm not sure whats going on, i didn't wanna push it ya know.

I know, and I agree. I do realize that I live in PA, and it's going to be cold and it will snow, but it's the persistance of the cold (both this winter and last) that gets to me.

It's not so much the cold that gets to me, it's the lack of snow that has come with it. This brutal cold period has resulted in a whopping 1" of snow for MBY. Brutal cold does very little for me if it's not going to come with good snows.

It's not so much the cold that gets to me, it's the lack of snow that has come with it. This brutal cold period has resulted in a whopping 1" of snow for MBY. Brutal cold does very little for me if it's not going to come with good snows.

Yea same here. -8 is great if it came with at least a high end advisory type storm for all.

No, they didn't recruit her and the ones who did, doesn't have the strong Teaching program Millersville does. She was asked to walk on and  One of her pitchers was recruited and is playing for them, she is also a freshman so she has been on my daughter about walking on too, but she was so beat up from last season she is still rehabbing. Last Thursday when we went down to take and her friends to dinner, she ask me to bring her catchers Mitt, so i'm not sure whats going on, i didn't wanna push it ya know.

Ah. Might be better off anyway so she can focus on school. Maybe in the spring/summer she can pick up an intramural team and just play for fun and enjoy it. :)

Ah. Might be better off anyway so she can focus on school. Maybe in the spring/summer she can pick up an intramural team and just play for fun and enjoy it. :)

I agree. + a couple womens Fastpitch leagues are hounding her to play.

whose interested in starting a pool to see who guess's low temps for Friday?

It's crazy that 16 feels good. Can you imagine what the normal high of 40 would feel like

I have been watching, just not posting. I do believe we see several inches of snow this weekend.

Dude, why you been in hiding??? post more!!!

i have nothing other then gut instinct that we get snow too!

I'll also bet MDT or at least in my neck of the woods we see at least -2 tomorrow!

It's crazy that 16 feels good. Can you imagine what the normal high of 40 would feel like

I have been watching, just not posting. I do believe we see several inches of snow this weekend.

Dude, why you been in hiding??? post more!!!

i have nothing other then gut instinct that we get snow too!

I'll also bet MDT or at least in my neck of the woods we see at least -2 tomorrow!

I'm going to predict -4 for me. We'll see soon enough.

I was doing some research for the Weather World trivia contest and stumbled onto this site.  I'm sure you Penn Staters know about it but I've never seen all the official state records in one convenient spot like this before.  And some of the numbers are truly astonishing.  30.6" of rain in 6 hours right here in PA?  Holy freakin' crap! 

http://climate.psu.edu/data/state/staterecords.php

Nice link thanks!

The weekend storm is going to pass to the west of PA, that's a given at this point.  What we need is for it trend weaker and sheared out so that it 

a) Doesn't rush warm air in aloft quickly, which would flip precip from snow to sleet/freezing rain.

-AND-

B ) Scour out the low level warmth which would flip us to all rain.

At this point, you have to accept that unless you live in DuBois or Bradford, you're going to flip at some point.  Just hope we can squeeze a true 3" - 5" event.  We are losing ground on sun angle and day length from here on out.

What a difference a day makes in the models!  The past 2 runs of the American models have really shifted south/colder with the weekend event.  If you believe the NAM we get 2-3" of snow beginning by noon Saturday and maybe it just barely goes over to light ZR at the tail end, but the whole event is over by 7am Sunday morning.  On the NAM 850's max out near zero.  I have no idea what the other levels go to, but it's starting to look like we won't have a rain event Sunday with temps in the 40's that wash away some snowpack.

What did the 0Z Euro show last night?  I thought someone mentioned MDT with over 3" of snow?

BTW, Voyager, I've always been fine with your posts.  I am particularly grateful to you for all those GFS snowmap overlays you did for us a week ago.  Like some others have said here, they don't mind the cold IF there are snow events mixed in.  I'm more willing to have the real cold if there is a nice deep snow pack.  Many on here have had at least one event this winter with over 3"...many with 5"+.  I still have not reached 3".  For me here it truly has been a nickel-and-dime winter with a slew of 2" events.

Temperature records-wise, it would be nice to drop below -1 tonight since that's my coldest so far.  My all-time coldest reading since I moved here in 2000 has only been -4.  I would love to break that just once while conditions are optimal.

Archived