ALLEGANY, EMPORIUM, SMETHPORT, PENFIELD, RENOVO, ROULETTE,

GALETON, SHINGLEHOUSE, WESTFIELD, KARTHAUS, GENESEE, BETULA,

GAINES, SOUTH RENOVO AND FORCE.

FOR THOSE DRIVING ON INTERSTATE 80, THIS INCLUDES AREAS BETWEEN THE

DUBOIS ROUTE 255 AND CLEARFIELD EXITS, SPECIFICALLY FROM MILE

MARKERS 108 TO 115.

EXIT HIGHWAYS AHEAD OF THESE SQUALLS AND WAIT UNTIL THEY HAVE SAFELY

PASSED.

Just got in from walking around town during both squalls.  The first one was just ~20 minutes of very heavy snow here, visibility dropped about as low as it did on Saturday, <200' for a decent period of time, and it dropped over 1.5" of snow.  Second is wrapping up and was not as intense snowfall wise, but when it blew through it created whiteout conditions for a couple of minutes, to the point where I had to stop walking and stand against a house away from the wind.  Couldn't see even the center of the road from the sidewalk at two different times. Really sweet.

Two questions...

First one: Will these snow squalls survive their trip across the mountains like they did on Saturday night, or is this set-up different?

Second one: After this weekends possible rain event, we go back into the deep freeze for a good portion of next week. Is there ANYTHING on the horizon that would indicate we break from this current pattern and get some mild weather? Per the GFS, is appears that cold weather will be the rule through at least March 6th.

Steve, this thing did a complete split and is skipping Lancaster county. No complaining from you this evening.  :)

Nothing happening in Lemoyne. Radar looks pretty weak, but it looked weak on Saturday before we got hit. Hopefully the same will happen tonight.

I thought the Saturday squall was weakening too. Then I got smoked with almost two inches in a half hour.

Steve, this thing did a complete split and is skipping Lancaster county. No complaining from you this evening.  :)

:lol:

CRAZY drive home. Arguably the heaviest I've ever seen it snow. True whiteout for 5 min. Cars stopped all over roads right in the middle of the road (or so it looked ) as you couldn't tell where the some roads were.

Hope it doesn't all wash away this weekend. Not ready for it to be over. We still haven't had a good one (or 2).

Nut

Not really. I must just live in THE WORST area of the state as far as radar coverage is concened.

attachicon.gif20150218_7057.jpg

Especially for lower level stuff like winter squalls.  I notice it at my parents in eastern Lebanon County.  There have been a number of times where squalls or snow showers basically vanish from radar as they approach, only to drop as much snow as they did farther west.

Especially for lower level stuff like winter squalls.  I notice it at my parents in eastern Lebanon County.  There have been a number of times where squalls or snow showers basically vanish from radar as they approach, only to drop as much snow as they did farther west.

Indeed. This was the case both Saturday night and tonight. With this one though, it was pretty much advertised that it might break up or diminish as it moved east, so I wasn't upset that it appeared to do so on radar.

Not really. I must just live in THE WORST area of the state as far as radar coverage is concened.

Haha that would drive me nuts not having any radar that would view lower stuff like squalls or even some synoptic stuff. I was looking at a couple radar cross sections when the line came through here and pretty much all of the radar echoes were below 8-10k, which is right around the beam height at the lowest angle for CCX, BGM, and DIX radars over the Tamaqua area. The Scranton area can be hard to monitor too. The squall line looks quite healthy on BGM radar but it's disappearing down around the level of Scranton/WB, so we'll have to hear from PSUHazelton on how much of a punch it still has there. 

Archived