• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

Oh good, I was wondering how your area was doing since it was in that heavier area of snow earlier. Also saw a PNS report of 3" in Wood, (NE Bedford county). Just measured 1.6" here.

Edit to add, hey your actually matched up with Dulles' (IAD) midnight snow report and ahead of BWI (Baltimore International).

DCA: 2.9"

IAD: 2.5"

BWI: 2.0"

Per the daily climate summary, MDT recorded 1.7 inches of snow as of midnight with QPF of only .05 ! Holy ratio !!!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per the daily climate summary, MDT recorded 1.7 inches of snow as of midnight with QPF of only .05 ! Holy ratio !!!

Wow 34:1 ratios, that's nuts. I'd believe it though, this is the kind of event that would be capable of delivering those type of ratios. The whole column from pretty much the surface to about 600mb or so is in that ideal dendritic growth zone temp wise (-12 to -18C). We could have really piled some snow up if we would've had some better lift.    

Mag what does it look like for the weekend....any details yet?

Spanning from hour 90-132 it has a wave of low pressure that runs out east from approx CO/Tx Panhandle becoming ill defined by the time it gets to the eastern US.. kinda turns into an overrunning look/frontal passage. Light to moderate precip arrives in western PA at hour 114 and spans all of PA hours 120-126. 0 line only flirts with the mason dixon line in SE PA at 126. Seems like a moderate to perhaps heavier snowfall for most of the state. 

Seems like warmer air is going to want to attempt an offensive into the northeastern part of the country as it likes to try to do with more frequency this time of the year (we are in the latter half of Feb after all) and the abundant cold is going to put up a fight (and probably win). The zone where it clashes certainly could see a pretty sizeable event. 

I like the look of the 00z Euro. Finally back to struggling with temps which usually mean big snow storms. Enough of this 8 degrees with light flurries hoping and praying 30:1 ratios is enough for 1". Richmond got their fun, now its our turn!  :lmao:

Anyway, 8 degrees and flurries here with a light trace. Heaviest light snow of the night so far though. 

Gonna call it at 1.8" for a total here with precip pretty much over with. I'm going to try to get a rough estimate on ratio, but I think it's at least on par with that 34:1 ratio based off the 0.05" out of 1.7" snow MDT reported.

This brings the season total to 41.9".

Scooped snow gently off the railing into a crude rain gauge I have and filled it to the 4" mark. Melted down to what I could make out as a best guesstimate of 0.17". So about 24-25:1 is what I got. For being a meteorologist I need better measuring tools at my disposal haha. 

Looks like we will end up with 2.4" here on only .09" of liquid. 27:1 ratio, not bad at all. If only we would see these ratios more often. :) I must say that say that the new GFS is slowly winning my confidence lately. It nailed the qpf for multiple runs here.

same here, less than a half an inch. the real problem is that the road crews are using rock salt to treat the roads and it is not effective at these temps. 12f at home this am.

Same down this way. Treatment made the roads were more of a paste than anything. Starting to melt now though as some sun is poking through.

more records look to be in danger later this week:

For MDT:

Record lows:

(Thurs)  2/19 - +1

(Friday) 2/20 - 0

(Sat)      2/21 - +6

Record low highs:

(Thurs)  2/19 - +16

(Friday) 2/20 - +14

Through the 16th, MDT currently at 8th coldest average temp for February on record.  That could jump to 4 or 5 after just today.

Hi Guys...

I just caught up on the overnight posts and I am very glad to see the extreme ratios being reported since I was thinking that no one would believe my report.  I measured 2.6" of snow.  It might have been a few tenths more from sun melt since I didn't measure it until 9:30 this morning, but I will just stick with 2.6".  It melted down to 0.08" of liquid for a ratio of 33:1.  That's close to the highest ratio I think I have ever seen.  I'm vaguely remembering an event back around 2007 or so where a clipper gave me around 5" of snow with 0.12" of liquid for a 40:1 ratio.  Had similar conditions for that event although I think it wasn't quite as cold as this one just was.

I still can't seem to reach the 4" mark.  Maybe this weekend's storm??  Also, I am thinking that with radiational cooling tonight over fresh snow temps may drop to zero or below again.  We'll see.  I'm up to a balmy 21.1 degrees.  The winds have been completely calm since 4:30 this morning so finally no wind chill to deal with.

How close are we to passing last winter's avg temps? I am guessing not very since we had a not freezing early part of the season.

IMBY, I am 1.9F warmer for this winter (D,J,F to date) than last winter. This past December was a warm one compared to 2013 and even January wasn't as cold this year. However this February is 2.2F colder than last Feb to date and last year was well below normal.

Archived