• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

Wednesday's squall line redux looks interesting.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the chance for another 1-3" of snow in short order.

I wondered why UNV was reporting snow/fog/mist the last couple of obs...lots of small, sparkly ice crystals drifting down from mostly blue skies. Cool.  Life in the arctic continues!  :lol:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys...

I just caught up on the overnight posts and I am very glad to see the extreme ratios being reported since I was thinking that no one would believe my report.  I measured 2.6" of snow.  It might have been a few tenths more from sun melt since I didn't measure it until 9:30 this morning, but I will just stick with 2.6".  It melted down to 0.08" of liquid for a ratio of 33:1.  That's close to the highest ratio I think I have ever seen.  I'm vaguely remembering an event back around 2007 or so where a clipper gave me around 5" of snow with 0.12" of liquid for a 40:1 ratio.  Had similar conditions for that event although I think it wasn't quite as cold as this one just was.

I still can't seem to reach the 4" mark.  Maybe this weekend's storm??  Also, I am thinking that with radiational cooling tonight over fresh snow temps may drop to zero or below again.  We'll see.  I'm up to a balmy 21.1 degrees.  The winds have been completely calm since 4:30 this morning so finally no wind chill to deal with.

February 12, 2008? i'm still at 13 here.

Hi PA folks!  I don't want to appear negative, but hopefully your fluffy snow can survive the later winter sunshine today. Head's up: Dry, fluffy snow disappears much faster than wet snow usually. I recommend getting out there now to enjoy it if you can.

Got it....

Thanks???

:sizzle:

Hi PA folks!  I don't want to appear negative, but hopefully your fluffy snow can survive the later winter sunshine today. Head's up: Dry, fluffy snow disappears much faster than wet snow usually. I recommend getting out there now to enjoy it if you can.

We have a couple inches of glacier under the fluff, that stuff has some serious staying power despite the sun.

I personally hate when snow melts. :P

I remember in Lancaster after the Blizzard of 96, we had a heavy rainstorm two weeks later. Went to bed with a couple feet of snow on the ground...woke up to seeing grass. Awful!

January 1996 almost ended in disaster here...remember one of my parents telling me the Susky came within 18" of topping the levee.

How close are we to passing last winter's avg temps? I am guessing not very since we had a not freezing early part of the season.

based on MDT data,

Through temps so far today we are at on average 28.58 degrees F for D,J,F with last year through Feb 17 at 27.52.

Through end of Feb 2014, last D,J,F winter was on average 28.15 degrees.  Last 1/3rd of Feb 2014 was warmer than the start of 2014.  Unfortunately I don't have all of December data finished in my database, but do have current ranks for cold starts to a calendar year.  Through the 17th, 2015 so far is the 14th coldest start to a year.  Basing Feb 2015 through the 17th vs full J/F of prior years, we are at 8th coldest.  Since normal trend is for temps to increase on average through the last half of Feb, it will be impressive if we can stay significantly cold.  But yes, with December 2014 not particularly cold, I don't think full winter would rank nearly as high but I could be wrong.

We have a couple inches of glacier under the fluff, that stuff has some serious staying power despite the sun.

Sure does! Up here, some of the snowpack can last into April because of the "glacier effect".

January 1996 almost ended in disaster here...remember one of my parents telling me the Susky came within 18" of topping the levee.

Oh, yeah. That, and bridges were damaged by the high water and "ice bergs" in the river. I bet there are some videos on Youtube of it.

Sure does! Up here, some of the snowpack can last into April because of the "glacier effect".

Oh, yeah. That, and bridges were damaged by the high water and "ice bergs" in the river. I bet there are some videos on Youtube of it.

There is a youtube video of the river taking out the Walnut street bridge in Harrisburg which is crazy to have been captured in the time before cell phones/etc.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the chance for another 1-3" of snow in short order.

I wondered why UNV was reporting snow/fog/mist the last couple of obs...lots of small, sparkly ice crystals drifting down from mostly blue skies. Cool. Life in the arctic continues!

I noticed that this morning. We were supersaturated with respect to ice and around dendritic growth temperatures, even with relatively clear skies. There were definitely some stellar crystals and dendrites falling.

There is a youtube video of the river taking out the Walnut street bridge in Harrisburg which is crazy to have been captured in the time before cell phones/etc.

i walked from Overview to almost the Rockville bridge ( guess 1 1/2 -2 miles) in full turnout gear, carrying equipment during that time. The river road was impassable. It was at dark, maybe 7-8 at night, i will never, ever forget the sounds of that Ice/River. Not only that bridge, but it left a path of destruction.......

i walked from Overview to almost the Rockville bridge ( guess 1 1/2 -2 miles) in full turnout gear, carrying equipment during that time. The river road was impassable. It was at dark, maybe 7-8 at night, i will never, ever forget the sounds of that Ice/River. Not only that bridge, but it left a path of destruction.......

Wow. Funny how I can see easily visualize the video of it all in my head. Growing up in my early teen years, the winters of 93 through 96 really got me into winter weather. The winter of 93-94 in Central PA: so interesting! So many winter storms with such tight precip. gradients.

I personally hate when snow melts. :P

I remember in Lancaster after the Blizzard of 96, we had a heavy rainstorm two weeks later. Went to bed with a couple feet of snow on the ground...woke up to seeing grass. Awful!

I remember it far to well....

a doctor and lotsa visits on a couch fixed that.

Nut

I remember it far to well....

a doctor and lotsa visits on a couch fixed that.

Nut

lol...such is winter in Lancaster. Part of the reason I moved away from there.

That bridge just broke like a cheap twig. Then watching it drift over to that Market Street bridge...like a morbid sense of curiosity.

It went through the meat grinder. Fascinating

Archived