Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to find the post where Zwyts spiked the ball yesterday on us in Lancaster county...Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Radar looks promising. 

Ripping big flakes here in Lititz.  Bout a half inch in the last 30 minutes.

DC getting a major dry slot. Not sure what they got but it didn't last until 11 tonight. Model fail. 

Solidly moderate here now.  Big flakes continue.  Up to 1.3".  Temps 10.8/7.7.  Calm winds.  I live roughly 2 miles north of the turnpike.

Go turnpike!!

OTOH, I really hope DC crew don't bust.  They really do deserve a nice event after suffering through so many dashed hopes at the last minute.

I haven't visited the NE forum recently, but I heard on the news today that Boston's had 90" of snow in the past 3 weeks (since Jan 23).  Those poor people.  They have nowhere to put all the snow.

Solidly moderate here now.  Big flakes continue.  Up to 1.3".  Temps 10.8/7.7.  Calm winds.  I live roughly 2 miles north of the turnpike.

Go turnpike!!

OTOH, I really hope DC crew don't bust.  They really do deserve a nice event after suffering through so many dashed hopes at the last minute.

I haven't visited the NE forum recently, but I heard on the news today that Boston's had 90" of snow in the past 3 weeks (since Jan 23).  Those poor people.  They have nowhere to put all the snow.

DC needs hope right now. 

DC getting a major dry slot. Not sure what they got but it didn't last until 11 tonight. Model fail. 

I double dare you to post that in the Mid-Atlantic obs thread lol. 

I was a bit concerned about the PA border region a little while ago, as there wasn't much on radar in Northern MD. That has since filled back in and should keep the lower Sus Valley generally locked in as the rest of the precip swings through overnight. I do still note a weak spot on LWX radar over the entire I-66 corridor that starts right inside DC proper and ends at I-81. I also see some regneration further west as well but I personally think the DC metro is going to be right on the edge or miss the boat with getting up to exceeding say, 6" for the storm total judging by some of their obs so far. Think it'll be more of a 4-6 incher with some more bands of snow that will move through. Just off to the east and southeast though is likely to be a different story as the low hits the coast. 

This is a beautiful snow. Nice large flakes, quietly falling, super cold. Wish rates were a bit heavier but hey it's still gorgeous tonight. Reminds you of why we love snow so much.

It's amazing it's even snowing at all considering how cold it is. Not every day we see a synoptic event with the whole area in upper single digits to very low teens temps, and off a light easterly (southeasterly in some cases) wind to boot. 

It's amazing it's even snowing at all considering how cold it is. Not every day we see a synoptic event with the whole area in upper single digits to very low teens temps, and off a light easterly (southeasterly in some cases) wind to boot.

Ive always wondered, what's the meteorological reason why snow is hard to produce when it's in the single digits or colder? Is it just too dry air usually to allow the preciip to break through?

This is a beautiful snow. Nice large flakes, quietly falling, super cold. Wish rates were a bit heavier but hey it's still gorgeous tonight. Reminds you of why we love snow so much.

it is beautiful. You worded it perfectly. I appreciate and enjoy hearing everyone on here describing their passion for snow because most of the people Im around just complain about it and dont like it. Thanks for sharing your happiness and appreciation for beautiful snow.

I measured 2.5" at midnight and cleared the table. It's so light and fluffy I may get the leaf blower out tomorrow instead of the shovel.

Oh good, I was wondering how your area was doing since it was in that heavier area of snow earlier. Also saw a PNS report of 3" in Wood, (NE Bedford county). Just measured 1.6" here.

Edit to add, hey your actually matched up with Dulles' (IAD) midnight snow report and ahead of BWI (Baltimore International).

DCA: 2.9"

IAD: 2.5"

BWI: 2.0"

Archived