Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the concerns about dry air *may* be unfounded.  I've been watching the surfaces obs, mPING reports and snow reports and it seems as though once the dewpoint get to +2, the snow starts.  There is only seems to be a 40 min lag from the time the returns get overhead to when snow reaches the ground.  We aren't talking about a 35 degree dewpoint depression here, it's not terrible.  Still, for us on the edge, even losing 0.1" - 0.12" liquid is big.

I think the concerns about dry air *may* be unfounded. I've been watching the surfaces obs, mPING reports and snow reports and it seems as though once the dewpoint get to +2, the snow starts. There is only seems to be a 40 min lag from the time the returns get overhead to when snow reaches the ground. We aren't talking about a 35 degree dewpoint depression here, it's not terrible. Still, for us on the edge, even losing 0.1" - 0.12" liquid is big.

I think the concerns about dry air *may* be unfounded. I've been watching the surfaces obs, mPING reports and snow reports and it seems as though once the dewpoint get to +2, the snow starts. There is only seems to be a 40 min lag from the time the returns get overhead to when snow reaches the ground. We aren't talking about a 35 degree dewpoint depression here, it's not terrible. Still, for us on the edge, even losing 0.1" - 0.12" liquid is big.

Also keep in mind when air temperatures are this cold, it requires less water in absolute terms to saturate the column...

Following the MA obs it looks like the snow is making decent progress, and that the dry air worries (as you said) are a bit overdone. They even bumped the 2-3" zone a bit north with their latest update.

Yea, now don't get me wrong there is weak cold air advection in place over PA, which means the dry air will be continuously intruding into the column, but the reports are very promising.

Off of work today and my pipes froze after a low of -3.  All last winter and brutal cold they did not freeze, but last night jack pipe frost did a number for some reason on my PVC from the well pump.  No damage except $200 for a nuclear space heater for the basement.  Home Depot only has 3 left so I am not the only broke fool!  Anyway all of this cold and lack of snow really stinks.  If my propane bill will bankrupt me I might as well have some snow to show for it.  I am in full weenie mode and insist on 6 inches from this storm or bust.  Stuck the ruler out, marked the 6 inch line with ribbon and insist on burying the top of the ribbon!  No less than 6 will do as this weenie is sick of a frigid relatively snowless landscape!    :weenie:  :axe:

BRING IT!

post-1187-0-79209400-1424115601_thumb.jp

Off of work today and my pipes froze after a low of -3. All last winter and brutal cold they did not freeze, but last night jack pipe frost did a number for some reason on my PVC from the well pump. No damage except $200 for a nuclear space heater for the basement. Home Depot only has 3 left so I am not the only broke fool! Anyway all of this cold and lack of snow really stinks. If my propane bill will bankrupt me I might as well have some snow to show for it. I am in full weenie mode and insist on 6 inches from this storm or bust. Stuck the ruler out, marked the 6 inch line with ribbon and insist on burying the top of the ribbon! No less than 6 will do as this weenie is sick of a frigid relatively snowless landscape! :weenie::axe:

BRING IT!

Snow insulated the pipes last year.

Wanted to put a snowmap out but having an issue with the part of my software that generates the map that I still haven't been able to resolve. How familiar with ArcGIS are you Eskimo Joe? I've been having a script error pop up every time I run certain spatial analyst tools, including the interpolation one I use for the map.

Any rate, I think CTP's advisory placement and map looks pretty good. I thought we were pretty well set to get a solid advisory event for most under I-80 but models since yesterday had backed off slightly and widespread 3+ will likely stay relegated to the 22 corridor and below as Joe had been thinking.

Can't help but notice how the HRRR and RAP has been advertising a decided weakness in precip east of the mountains in northern MD and the Sus Valley that was really hurting the DC areas accums until the latest 18z run was a bit better. Since this storm is progressing more than getting to amplify and turn the bend, have to wonder if they end up somewhat correct as the precip weakens on the other side of the mountains (esp past WV's mountains) and there's a weak spot in totals between that and further south and then east as the precip shield strengthens with the low hitting the coast. Do think that like the storm that blitzed Chicago a few weeks ago, this things going to peak in the Ohio Valley/Midwest...except this thing's further south obviously and the whole state of Kentucky is the one getting blitzed. Expect that widespread 8-10+ ends up there and up to the Apps.. with more of a 5-8 max on east. We'll have to keep an eye on radar trends as this thing progresses into our region. 

Wanted to put a snowmap out but having an issue with the part of my software that generates the map that I still haven't been able to resolve. How familiar with ArcGIS are you Eskimo Joe? I've been having a script error pop up every time I run certain spatial analyst tools, including the interpolation one I use for the map.

Any rate, I think CTP's advisory placement and map looks pretty good. I thought we were pretty well set to get a solid advisory event for most under I-80 but models since yesterday had backed off slightly and widespread 3+ will likely stay relegated to the 22 corridor and below as Joe had been thinking.

Can't help but notice how the HRRR and RAP has been advertising a decided weakness in precip east of the mountains in northern MD and the Sus Valley that was really hurting the DC areas accums until the latest 18z run was a bit better. Since this storm is progressing more than getting to amplify and turn the bend, have to wonder if they end up somewhat correct as the precip weakens on the other side of the mountains (esp past WV's mountains) and there's a weak spot in totals between that and further south and then east as the precip shield strengthens with the low hitting the coast. Do think that like the storm that blitzed Chicago a few weeks ago, this things going to peak in the Ohio Valley/Midwest...except this thing's further south obviously and the whole state of Kentucky is the one getting blitzed. Expect that widespread 8-10+ ends up there and up to the Apps.. with more of a 5-8 max on east. We'll have to keep an eye on radar trends as this thing progresses into our region. 

I work with it every day.  Post a screen cap of the error and tell me what version you are using.  Thanks.

Running 10.2.2, I started having this problem sometime after I had a bit of a adware/malware issue and downloaded some stuff to get rid of it.

attachicon.gifError_Window.png

Oh jeeze, that one.  It's a known bug in Arcgis 10.x

Only two things that worked for me were :

1.)  Uninstall Avast and install AVG anti-virus (if you have Avast)

2.)  Reinstall ArcGIS 10.x and Right click -> Run As Administrator.

Couple of things:

1.)  I use WGAL live radar during storms like this, it's much better placed than CCX.  Link:  http://www.wgal.com/weather/live-radar

2.)  Camp David (KRSP) in NW Frederick County, MD is now reporting a steady SN- wit 1.75 SM visibility.

3.)  When you see the snow start, report it using your mPING app if you can.  It helps with the ground truth.

Archived