• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

Nam is out of range but it did move north ever so slightly. About a 25 mile jog. Any north jog on any model however slight is a great sign in my book at this range. We are not far from a huge hit so every little jog helps exponentially at this point in the game. The trend is our friend!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of right now I'm going to go with 2-4" for the northern half of the forum and 4-7" south. Just in time for the arctic air to reinforce itself Thursday-Friday, either way.

Might check up to the river on Monday or Tuesday...it was already significantly iced over when I looked a few days back.

I can see the river from work, last week it was about 90% covered at the courthouse in WB.

The Susquehanna has good ice coverage all the way down to Harrisburg (I-83 crossing) and even decent to good coverage as far south as the US-30 crossing in Columbia.

The Susky down Her has been iced over since before Christmas, second straight year of multi-month ice cover. Some dudes actually walked across her two weeks ago!

For the southeast portion of the sub-forum, it looks like the main forcing for ascent will be associated with the left exit region of the 200 mb jet streak. Enhanced values of 600 mb frontogenesis near and to the northwest of this region will provide lift in the dendritic growth zone which, as others have mentioned, will lead to pretty good aggregate production and higher-than-average SWE ratios.

Farther northwest near UNV still looks like a light snow event, though there should be some periods of excellent snow growth. We will likely have some weaker forcing up near 500 mb and perhaps some lower-level convergence around 800 mb associated with the weakening inverted trough. Efficient dendritic growth will be favored given temperatures (based on the 12z GFS) between -12 and -18C from the surface to 600 mb.

Just catching up after doing some school work. Very well said heavy. Thanks as always. I like where I sit here in the LSV. The only place I'd want to trade spots with on this subforum might be 83Blizzard  ;)

GFS still drops 3" up to Allentown and has close to 6" down near the PA line. Of course, that's verbatim from the model, so take it with a grain of salt. Throw in mesoscale characteristics and it looks like someone near the PA line will jackpot with 6-8" most likely and areas all the way up to the I80 corridor will have a shot at 3-4" and wouldn't surprise me to hear someone walk with 5" up there. I've been in this state now for 3 years. I'm starting to notice a pattern for these setups and who gets what. You learn a lot from collecting snow data for PennDot for hours at a time. Oy ve

Anyone know the MDT record low for Monday? We'd/Thir looks just as cold, if not colder.

Here you go per the CTP disco, as well as the other major stations. Most of those are probably getting busted tonight. Altoona is probably going to be past the -2ºF record well before midnight even gets here. 

.CLIMATE...

SOME RECORD LOWS FOR MONDAY MORNING AROUND THE REGION.

RECORD LOW/YEAR

HARRISBURG.............0/1905

WILLIAMSPORT........ -5/1905

STATE COLLEGE.........-8/1904

YORK....................... -7/1963

ALTOONA...................-2/2004

BRADFORD...............-23/1943

CLEARFIELD...............-6/1930

JOHNSTOWN.............-10/1943

LANCASTER...............+2/1987

Those records are screwed.

Yea haha, I think the only ones that might be safe are York and Bradford's... York's is pretty low and I think they'll come up short because of the lack of a deep snowpack there. However, if it gets calm and decouples up in Bradford overnight that one could easily get busted too. 

Archived