joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is unbelievable. There is ALWAYS something that screws it up here for me. Looks like DC and Baltimore are about to get ROCKED.

I feel you...it's insane how any remotely impressive event gets messed up in every possible way so it's no more than dime a dozen quality. I've had enough of mundane storms...

That is unbelievable. There is ALWAYS something that screws it up here for me. Looks like DC and Baltimore are about to get ROCKED.

i can tell you exactly what happened. the normal "jump" that a surface low takes across the mountains, then comes out to the south of where the original track was by ~ 1-2 degrees latitude. that's vorticity dynamics 101 (well, in PSU's case, meteo 421, but i digress). and that's coming out at about the right spot for a northern PA/Southern NY low, near DC and SBY. now as that low starts to bomb out off the NJ coast, time to see how much arctic air piles in behind the low. and judging by the 00z sfc map temperatures, there's plenty to tap from in northern Ontario and northwestern Quebec.

Temps have fallen like a rock here, already down to near 10ºF. Some of the lingering bands of snow gave some additional snow that brought my 4.4" total measured right after the squall up to about 5". That final measurement was before the wind really kicked up, you can forget about measuring anything now haha. Wind's howling now, and all that powder is already drifting pretty significantly. 

Temps have fallen like a rock here, already down to near 10ºF. Some of the lingering bands of snow gave some additional snow that brought my 4.4" total measured right after the squall up to about 5". That final measurement was before the wind really kicked up, you can forget about measuring anything now haha. Wind's howling now, and all that powder is already drifting pretty significantly. 

Already down to 7 here. I think 5 maybe 6 inches fell...hard to tell.    

i can tell you exactly what happened. the normal "jump" that a surface low takes across the mountains, then comes out to the south of where the original track was by ~ 1-2 degrees latitude. that's vorticity dynamics 101 (well, in PSU's case, meteo 421, but i digress). and that's coming out at about the right spot for a northern PA/Southern NY low, near DC and SBY. now as that low starts to bomb out off the NJ coast, time to see how much arctic air piles in behind the low. and judging by the 00z sfc map temperatures, there's plenty to tap from in northern Ontario and northwestern Quebec.

Thanks Jim for that explination. I learned something I didn't know before!

Anyway, I must admit that I need to eat some crow here. I will post a photo in a few minutes when I get them uploaded, but that squall hit and hit hard. Much better than I expected looking at radar when I was doing my complaining. Visibility was down to probably less than 1/8 mile, and we picked an inch and a half in about 20-25 minutes.

Got probably around an inch of snow earlier.

Edit to add: The total may be more than that since I wasn't keeping tabs on it for the last couple hours.

Looks brutal outside, with a temp of 14.8 and the wind really picking up.

Listening to the township plow trucks on the scanner, heard the one guy say he can't even find the road, due to the blowing snow.

Archived