joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the squall line is the main show, but I wonder if, unlike other areas that have/are seeing pre fropa snow, it will be the only show here. And will it break up or weaken prior to arrival like so many in the past have done?

I think it'll hang together fairly well across most of the state, HRRR shows another preceding band of snow arriving 4-5pm as well. I only expected 1-2 inches elsewhere outside of the western and northern areas (referenced in a post of mine I think earlier yesterday), so I think that's attainable for your area. 

It's pixie dust here right now, but at least something is falling. The 18z NAM shows a good swath of 3-6 inch totals through eastern PA, and the RAP shows a smaller, but similar 3-4 inch area nearly over my house. We'll see I guess.

I can't see 3" at this point with the way the mountains are eating everything.

LOL @ S&S Storm Chasing Facebook page...they make it sound like the end of the world with this little bout of wind.

To be completely fair, 12 hours of 60 mph wind gusts can lift roofs off homes. It's very dangerousm especially with pending power outages and the cold that'll lead to freezing pipes (I'm worries about this, we have no aux heat source other than the gas furnace).

To be completely fair, 12 hours of 60 mph wind gusts can lift roofs off homes. It's very dangerousm especially with pending power outages and the cold that'll lead to freezing pipes (I'm worries about this, we have no aux heat source other than the gas furnace)

Sustained yes, but I think our sustained winds will be in the 25-40 mph range. I doubt we'll see many roofs blown off. The power outages have been a real concern of mine for a few days now, and 60 mph gusts, if they come to fruition, will certainly do the trick in some locales.

I think it'll hang together fairly well across most of the state, HRRR shows another preceding band of snow arriving 4-5pm as well. I only expected 1-2 inches elsewhere outside of the western and northern areas (referenced in a post of mine I think earlier yesterday), so I think that's attainable for your area. 

Thanks MAG!

Archived