joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

81 is no fun in snowsqualls or high wind.....OR BOTH.

Nut

Your concern is certainly justified. Can't count the times I got stuck between 18-wheelers - one in front, one in back and one to my left - in powder snow and couldn't see a damn thing. Really not much you can do except pray that they'd slow down. Fat chance of that. Definitely some of the scariest experiences of my life. Finally learned just to avoid Interstates in those conditions. But we all know how those squalls can pop up unexpectedly.

Have to say the NWS and local mets have done a great job alerting the public about today's snow-burst potential.

yeah...this afternoon has me a little nervous.

my daughter is up at Wilkes Univ. to see her boyfriend, and I've already texted her to get on the road asap.

and I'm not usually one to worry.  81 is no fun in snowsqualls or high wind.....OR BOTH.

Nut

Yeah I-81 truly sucks especially up that way. With no exaggeration I've been to over 1000 incidents on 81

Spitting some pretty light snow here ahead of the main action. The stronger returns just to the west seem to be struggling to make it into the valley.

Par for the course here. Really looking forward to the squall line this afternoon BUT have seen countless wicked-looking lines approaching State College only to suddenly degrade, completely fall apart or simply create a little gap when they go thru here. Frustrating for sure. Fingers crossed it's not business as usual with this one.

Can't count the times I got stuck between 18-wheelers - one in front, one in back and one to my left - in powder snow and couldn't see a damn thing.

wasn't me...lol

Yeah I-81 truly sucks especially up that way. With no exaggeration I've been to over 1000 incidents on 81

Yes it does. I run it almost every day.

And so far the mountains are doing a number on any pre-fronal snow. Radar looked good in western PA earlier, but it's disintegrating as it moves east...

GFS caves to the EURO for next week...nada.

I'm getting to the point where I really wish it wouldn't snow at all. That way, when the warmth eventually comes, there won't be as much of a snowpack to melt, and spring might not be delayed.

And so far the mountains are doing a number on any pre-fronal snow. Radar looked good in western PA earlier, but it's disintegrating as it moves east...

dry air eating it which is fine with me for when the good squalls develop later... watching Cleveland area now is where the good stuff is starting to set up

Congrats, Greensboro, South Carolina!

SE snow events are fun to watch on here at least. 400+ people reading the thread and everyone is understandably ecstatic over a couple inches of snow.

Some light, windblown snow here as radar continues to show precip drying up just about directly over town.

Look at Pitts radar, nice swirl and burst of snow just north of the city...could be a bit of a vort max there.  Looks like it will swing east along the Route 22 corridor so Harrisburg north could see the best action from this.

I hope so, but the way things go here, I'll believe it when I see it. So many times I've watched lines of summer severe storms march across the state, holding together nicely...until they reach I-81, then they mysteriously break up, only to reform 10 miles east of here. I'm seriousy not making this up, either. There is something about the terrain locally that seems to cause this even though most of the state is mountainous.

I hope so, but the way things go here, I'll believe it when I see it. So many times I've watched lines of summer severe storms march across the state, holding together nicely...until they reach I-81, then they mysteriously break up, only to reform 10 miles east of here. I'm seriously not making this up, either. There is something about the terrain locally that seems to cause this even though most of the state is mountainous.

Yea this is going to be another over-hyped bust for everyone but the ridge lines probably.

I'm getting to the point where I really wish it wouldn't snow at all. That way, when the warmth eventually comes, there won't be as much of a snowpack to melt, and spring might not be delayed.

the frontal band will be getting stronger with time. the front, as of 16z, was just east of downtown Buffalo to Erie to just north of Dayton. maybe not as much snow ahead of the front, but near and just behind it, there were rates of 1-2"/hr being reported in Southern Ontario, Western NY, northern OH, and even out by Detroit/Windsor.  just have to be patient. besides, the blowing/drifing snow will be the big deal, along with the wind chills tonight and tomorrow.

the frontal band will be getting stronger with time. the front, as of 16z, was just east of downtown Buffalo to Erie to just north of Dayton. maybe not as much snow ahead of the front, but near and just behind it, there were rates of 1-2"/hr being reported in Southern Ontario, Western NY, northern OH, and even out by Detroit/Windsor.  just have to be patient. besides, the blowing/drifing snow will be the big deal, along with the wind chills tonight and tomorrow.

Thanks for your thoughts Jim!

The discussion from CTP from a couple hours ago have a nice little NAM joke hidden in them.

"Current timing has the cold front approaching the rt 219 corridor in western pa around 19-20Z, rt 220/interstate 99 around 21Z, and the middle and lower susq valley 22-23Z today. Would not rule out thunder snow as the dyNAMics look especially robust for the time of year"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived