Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and the 12z gfs looks like rain for the weekend. How on the earth do we go from those cold temps to the mid 30's in a couple hours.

There was a storm back in the late '80s where I was at 3 degrees at 6am and 34 and rain before noon. It happens more often and more quickly than people think. I think Eric Horst said once that warm air waits for nothing. (or something like that)

My wife's grandmother passed away 30 or so mins ago. Plz keep my wife and her family in your thoughts all. Tomorrow will be a day of a lot of traveling, Can anyone at all tell me timing of these potential squalls? We'll be driving to/from Harrisburg, Baltimore, Carlisle and Philadelphia all at some point tomorrow and tomorrow evening.

My wife's grandmother passed away 30 or so mins ago. Plz keep my wife and her family in your thoughts all. Tomorrow will be a day of a lot of traveling, Can anyone at all tell me timing of these potential squalls? We'll be driving to/from Harrisburg, Baltimore, Carlisle and Philadelphia all at some point tomorrow and tomorrow evening.

Sorry to hear about that, I would think later in the afternoon into the early evening is when the Sus Valley and eastern Penn will deal with snow showers and a potential squall line. Models seem to be timing the potential squall line in that region between 4-7pm. 

CTP short term and snow map regarding tomorrow. After it not looking like this would quite reach the levels of Saturday, it's suddenly looking like it might give it a try after all. That'd be nuts to have two thunder snow squalls in 4 days.

.SHORT TERM /6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH 6 PM WEDNESDAY/...

THE SITUATION FOR WEDNESDAY IS STARTING TO LOOK A BIT MORE
INTERESTING THAN JUST ANOTHER RUN OF THE MILL ARCTIC FRONTAL
PASSAGE. LATEST OPERATIONAL SUITES SHOW THE UPPER TROUGH TAKING
ON A SLIGHT NEG TILT AS IT SWINGS THROUGH WITH RAPIDLY ERODING
STABILITY ACCOMPANYING THE FRONT ENTERING THE REGION.
ALL THE
MODELS HINT THAT SOME SORT OF WAVE WILL WANT TO FORM ALONG THE
FRONT AND SLIDE UP THROUGH THE STATE...LOOKING KIND OF ANAFRONT-
ISH AND POSSIBLY SUPPORTING A PERIOD OF POST FRONTAL SNOW JUST AS
TEMPERATURES START TO TAKE YET ANOTHER PLUNGE LATER IN THE
AFTERNOON.

VERY COLD AIR ALOFT WILL SUPPORT MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES OF AT
LEAST 6-8C/KM...TOTAL TOTALS IN THE MID TO UPPER 50S AND EVEN A
SMALL AMOUNT OF CAPE AS THE SYSTEM MOVES IN. POTENT FORCING AND
IMPRESSIVE INSTABILITY FOR MID FEBRUARY WILL ONCE AGAIN MAKE IT
NOT A BIG SURPRISE IF WE SHOULD SEE SOME THUNDER SNOW AT THE
HEIGHT OF THE SYSTEM AS IT SWINGS THROUGH.

HIGHS IN THE MID TEENS TO MID 20S WILL BE SOME 15-25 DEG BELOW
NORMAL...AND WITH A GUSTY WIND DEVELOPING LATER IN THE DAY...WIND
CHILLS WILL BECOME A FACTOR.

post-1507-0-40045800-1424211440_thumb.pn

Sorry to hear about that, I would think later in the afternoon into the early evening is when the Sus Valley and eastern Penn will deal with snow showers and a potential squall line. Models seem to be timing the potential squall line in that region between 4-7pm. 

OK, thanks. My father in law is flying into Baltimore in the late afternoon so this'll be fun times I can already tell.

Sorry for your loss, if i remember, she hasn't been doing well recently, take comfort she is in a better place. Pass along my condolences to your wife. Safe travels to you tomorrow my friend!

Sorry for your loss. It appears that conditions will deteriorate in mid-late afternoon (as MAG said I believe). My grandfather passed away several years ago in Pittsburgh during the winter, and we were fortunate to have enough warning to get to the area in time (as bad weather was setting in). I hope you all make it there safely, and rest in peace to her grandmother.

I am sorry for you loss.  Words are insufficient for events like this. I will offer a prayer for your family.

we had a death   and funeral during a storm a few years ago.  my wifes uncle passed and his widow fell and broke her hip in an ice storm the day of the funeral. we had an ice  storm during the funeral and driving was a mess.  I wish you well in the coming days.

Archived