SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no need to let a warning simply expire if the conditions no longer necessitate the warning's existence. This is why I think having strict criterion for warning vs advisory is a bit flawed. I wonder if it would just make sense to get rid of the "winter storm warning" and "winter storm watch" altogether and just use "winter weather advisory" as an all-purpose term.

I mean, even when using the term "warning", they're really just advising the public as to what is going on. But the public are smart. They know that a warning warrants more caution than an advisory, even though a warning is really just an advisory.

So you may as well just advise the public as to what is going on. You can warn morons all you want -- they're still morons.

I agree with this. I think a heavy snow warning makes more sense than a WSW - people freak out and can't properky drive in 2" snow just as much as 8" here anyway.

It seems like nearly every snow event this winter has caused consternation amongst the NWS offices.  I really do empathize with them because they try to be as accurate as they can be but it seems like they've been busting more than verifying.

Remember the AFD yesterday afternoon before the warnings were issued?  One of the CTP mets commented on how he has never seen a low whose center passed to our west produce copious amounts of precip over us.  Perhaps his reasoning will turn out to be right in the end?  Although, you wouldn't expect heavy snow to be falling down south of us.

I will say this as somebody who chose another career path over meteorology and has regrets every day about that. This winter has eased a lot of those second guesses. I feel just sick for the good mets in this area who work so hard to hone their craft and interpret what series of events are going to transpire on this planet just to have the series of events we've seemed to have this entire season happen over and over and over again.

I'd hug you people -- you know -- if grown-assed men hugging it out weren't frowned upon as inappropriate.

We may as well try to make this as funny as possible. Congratulations to the folks who are getting theirs. The rest of us are going to have an open mic night in the banter thread.

CTP really should have let this play our a little longer especially in the Harrisburg area. Steady light to moderate snow continues despite the lull in the current radar here. It just sends the wrong message to the public that it isn't so bad and people that might have stayed in might now go out even though they might not have to because it is a Saturday.

Some steadier snow has moved back overhead here for the time being. The gap's starting to close a bit from Pittsburgh's way as well with steady snow moving east from Ohio. Have to see what it does, HRRR and RAP continue to have that hole in the south central counties above the turnpike, with half decent snow in the west central.

post-1507-0-70772300-1424547196_thumb.pn

Some steadier snow has moved back overhead here for the time being. The gap's starting to close a bit from Pittsburgh's way as well with steady snow moving east from Ohio. Have to see what it does, HRRR and RAP continue to have that hole in the south central counties above the turnpike, with half decent snow in the west central.

attachicon.gifacsnw_t3sfc_f18.png

It's still showing 4-6 for my location as well. Really, I hope it comes to fruition here. I need a morale booster. Since I have to endure the brutal cold, which I detest, I'd like to at least get some sort of payoff for it, especially when it's on the weekend, and I'm not driving the big rig.

Right now, it has almost stopped snowing here, and more is blowing off the roofs than is falling.

Awesome storm here. Would not surprise me if we finish with close to a foot. The wind really makes it feel like a blizzard. All from a glorified warm front too. LOL!

Way the radar looks and the looks of the short range models I could see you getting a foot. Especially awesome from a storm that was forecasted to give you 3" then rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

attachicon.gifacsnw_t3sfc_f18.png

nice little 4-6" bullseye here..we'll see.

Archived