joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still not thinkng the stuff southwest comes up this way. Will ride the boundary east. Solid 2-4 area wide looks like all we can muster out of this. Congrats dc, bal'more, and nj.

Yeah, for a brief moment a few minutes ago it started to spit out some nice dendrites, but as quickly as it started, it stopped. Such a tease.

Meanwhile...it's back to zilch here.

Just when it looked like it was building north into Harrisburg, it fell apart. Why? As soon as any kind of decent return hits the snow hole, it dries up and fizzles out.

I'm being generous when I say that we've got about an inch on the ground. Temp up to 25.

I got maybe a half inch, and most of it was the usual pixie dust variety. It just doesn't know how to rip dendrites in the I-81 corridor.

Just when it looked like it was building north into Harrisburg, it fell apart. Why? As soon as any kind of decent return hits the snow hole, it dries up and fizzles out.

I got maybe a half inch, and most of it was the usual pixie dust variety. It just doesn't know how to rip dendrites in the I-81 corridor.

Stuff like this makes me wonder how things would play out even if "the big one" ever came to fruition - by which I mean a storm that would give a large chunk of PA a SECS/MECS criteria event.

We are streaming a bball game from the college today. I drew the short straw so I am watching the stream from home. :)

anyway, I had to run out to the store and get gas for SHE WHO MUST BE OBAYED,  it was freaking cold. Perhaps I should have worn socks. 

24 and light snow.

Stuff like this makes me wonder how things would play out even if "the big one" ever came to fruition - by which I mean a storm that would give a large chunk of PA a SECS/MECS criteria event.

in 93 , the NWS did call the storm ahead of time. in 96 I remember that the NWS also had big snows, but wnep did not. We had more snow in 96 than 93. We did have a couple of nice storms since then. We are due for a HECS

Quite honestly, I don't know if the "big one" is ever going to come into fruition for us. Think about it, over the past 10 years, who has been getting all the big accumulation events? DC, Philly, NYC, Boston. We have been on the outside looking in for nearly every event. I've had 2 storms since 2001 that produced over a foot here. Fourteen years to get two big events and each of those places had a winter where they got two...and a few others in between.

in 93 , the NWS did call the storm ahead of time. in 96 I remember that the NWS also had big snows, but wnep did not. We had more snow in 96 than 93. We did have a couple of nice storms since then. We are due for a HECS

In the past 20 years, the tendency has been for the true HECS/MECS to be southeast of I81 and closer to I95.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite honestly, I don't know if the "big one" is ever going to come into fruition for us. Think about it, over the past 10 years, who has been getting all the big accumulation events? DC, Philly, NYC, Boston. We have been on the outside looking in for nearly every event. I've had 2 storms since 2001 that produced over a foot here. Fourteen years to get two big events and each of those places had a winter where they got two...and a few others in between.

That's what I said to Wmsptwx earlier today. We've been here for the last five years thinking our "big one" is going to happen, the classic "everyone gets buried" scenario. But time and time again we watch scrounging flurries while blizzard conditions take place to the south and east. I think we're just in a long-term rut and it might be several years before we see the classic "big one" again.

And the worst part is reading forums like NYC where all they do is complain and bicker, and yet they keep getting what they want. :axe:

That's what I said to Wmsptwx earlier today. We've been here for the last five years thinking our "big one" is going to happen, the classic "everyone gets buried" scenario. But time and time again we watch scrounging flurries while blizzard conditions take place to the south and east. I think we're just in a long-term rut and it might be several years before we see the classic "big one" again.

And the worst part is reading forums like NYC where all they do is complain and bicker, and yet they keep getting what they want. :axe:

It pisses me off that they complain about when they get 8-12 when they were supposed to get 2 feet. When we miss in my area its from 4-6 to coating to an inch with rain.

I can only remember storm since the 90's of 12" here (12.5") and if im not mistaken it was december 2001.

the febuary storm a few yrs ago was close at 11.5"

And here I thought I was being conservative when I told my friends that we'd see about 4-5 inches. My friends down in York/Hanover say it's been much better down there.

Just look at the PA511 cameras along I-83 from York on south to the MD line. It's been snowing good down there for hours. Basically, it's snowing good along and south of US222 from Reading to Lancaster, and then along and south of US30 from Lancaster to York.

Archived