joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extreme cold February 2015

Rainman

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

incredible busts by the NWS....many places 10 degrees colder than expected.   CMH at -10,   Cincy -17     To beat the record low by 10 degrees is unreal.

Trudging thru a historic Feb

Yeah I screwed this one up. I'm not surprised though that it got colder than expected. At least I was close at Lafayette! :)

-11 in Crawfordsville, Indiana as of midnight.

Morning low temps as of 7:00am:

Bloomington -16˚

Crawfordsville -16˚

Shelbyville -15˚

Terre Haute -15˚

Zionsville -11˚

-6˚ at IND breaks the daily record (-2˚ in 1900).

FWA broke another daily record low min with their -6˚ this morning (-3˚ in 1900).

Only dipped down to a relatively balmy -3˚ at LAF this morning. :D

Morning low temps as of 7:00am:

Bloomington -16˚

Crawfordsville -16˚

Shelbyville -15˚

Terre Haute -15˚

Zionsville -11˚

-6˚ at IND breaks the daily record (-2˚ in 1900).

FWA broke another daily record low min with their -6˚ this morning (-3˚ in 1900).

Only dipped down to a relatively balmy -3˚ at LAF this morning. :D

Weird to see those places so much colder than us, though I guess the snowpack is deeper there and winds stayed up a bit at LAF. 

I didn't think it was even possible to freeze Ontario over. 

Nobody tell the terrorists about our open border! They could scamper right across.

As deep as Ontario is hard to believe, but a little good news is that it looks like this little clipper that could may break up the lake at least for a couple days may eek out some more snow. But the sustaining cold has been very impressive to say the least.

question for the lake folks....especially Michigan.   How severe of an effect will these frozen lakes have with actual weather going into spring and early summer?     In other words, is it not as obvious as it might seem and not as big of a deal, or will it have a dramatic effect on temps?

In early season severe events it usually stunts the warm frontal progression near the lakes such that you get a bulged northward front through the center part of the state yet being held back by Lake Michigan and Lake Erie/Huron on the ends. Also in general you have a lake shadow off of Lake Michigan in the summer usually leading to the formation of clouds further inland while remaining closer to sunny near the coast.

question for the lake folks....especially Michigan. How severe of an effect will these frozen lakes have with actual weather going into spring and early summer? In other words, is it not as obvious as it might seem and not as big of a deal, or will it have a dramatic effect on temps?

I think there could be another impressive fog season for the IL and IN shore. Almost became a microclimate like they have in the San Francisco Bay Area. The lake took forever to warm up last spring and early summer, so it did have a pretty big impact on temps, with frequent lake breezes, while inland areas were actually fairly mild in May and June. We did a study about the impact of cold lake temps on intensity of lake breezes, and up until last year, there wasn't a huge impact found, but I think the very late ice melt definitely played a role. Could be fairly similar this year.

I think there could be another impressive fog season for the IL and IN shore. Almost became a microclimate like they have in the San Francisco Bay Area. The lake took forever to warm up last spring and early summer, so it did have a pretty big impact on temps, with frequent lake breezes, while inland areas were actually fairly mild in May and June. We did a study about the impact of cold lake temps on intensity of lake breezes, and up until last year, there wasn't a huge impact found, but I think the very late ice melt definitely played a role. Could be fairly similar this year.

Not looking forward to that. In roughly 4-6 weeks when everyones talking about some days in the 60s-70s the lakeshore communities (myself included) will be in the 40s with fog. 

question for the lake folks....especially Michigan.   How severe of an effect will these frozen lakes have with actual weather going into spring and early summer?     In other words, is it not as obvious as it might seem and not as big of a deal, or will it have a dramatic effect on temps?

Snow depths will also add to the delay of the melting of the lake ice. Much of the older ice has extensive snow pack which will reflect the suns energy greatly slow the melting process. Ice with no snow is darker and retains much more radiant heating.

I wonder what the frost depths are as of late ?? As soon as the melting process begins the roads are going to explode with pot holes.

-6 in the P&C for tonight...

next Tuesday has the potential to feel like a mini sauna if some of these progged temps/DP's come to fruition

Forecast here calling for -3 tonight and -4 tomorrow night.  If we go below zero tomorrow night, it would be the latest occurrence in the season since 1984.

Could conceivably get a 6" storm on Sunday and hit 50 degrees on Tuesday, though it remains to be seen how much the melting snowpack and clouds/rain would hold our temperature down. 

Record low tonight is -4°F at DTW, and the forecast calls for -5°F. Might have another record breaker tonight.

Saturday's record is only -1°F so we should break that as well. Interestingly, today's record low is also -1°F so if things clear out quickly enough before midnight (doubtful) we could tie or break that too.

Forecast here calling for -3 tonight and -4 tomorrow night.  If we go below zero tomorrow night, it would be the latest occurrence in the season since 1984.

Could conceivably get a 6" storm on Sunday and hit 50 degrees on Tuesday, though it remains to be seen how much the melting snowpack and clouds/rain would hold our temperature down. 

A little early to be forecasting fog, but it could be a major issue Tuesday/Tuesday night.

Archived