joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extreme cold February 2015

Rainman

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Port Huron making a run at -30°F. They're at -29°F right now which is one of, if not the coldest temperatures I've ever seen in SEMI.

Also hit -30°F at Ann Arbor. Wow. :shiver:

Looks like the low at DTW will be -12°F for the night. One of the colder temperatures I've seen here, beaten by last year's "polar vortex", a -15°F reading in 2009, and of course the polar blast of 1994.

Edit: I think this is the coldest temperature ever recorded so late in the season at DTW. The closest I can find is -11 on February 24th, 1894. It also made it to -15 on February 14th, 1905.

So cold this AM that my manual transmission in the Jeep was almost impossible to operate. Took both hands to wrestle it into first. Such an impressive stretch of weather, looking forward on the GFS I can see no great warm up other than the torch of Saturday... More records will fall this winter in the DTX region.

There's a personal weather station reading -39 in Ashtabula County Ohio which would tie the state record low...likely won't count though. Impressive regardless. -18 was the low in Athens which beats last winter's low water mark of -17. High clouds in the middle of the night may have hurt things here.

This cold is for the birds. Woke up this morning to no water. Suspect it's frozen at the meter - friend of mine had that problem yesterday. Its strange - was colder earlier this year and last year and never had any problems.

EDIT: bet its because there's no huge pile of snow sitting on top of the meter pit.

It was awesome/crazy cold last night! Temps in the -20 to -30 range for several hours (8+ IMBY .. it was -21F around midnight when my wife got home from work and around -30F when I was heading to work this morning).  Living on a slab next to a lake I could really notice the difference of not having a basement as my furnace struggled today (not broken just 25 years old) to keep up as it seemed like it was on 80% of the time from midnight on. 

Some of the coldest spots in the state from today

-28 in Caro, Houghton Lake, and Lapeer

-29 in Alpena, Port Huron and 4 NNW of Richmond

-30 in Ann Arbor, and Cadillac

-31 in Engadine, and Gaylord

-32 in Cheboygon and Grayling

-33 in Atlanta, Champion, Indian River. Kalkaska, Lake, Mio, and Paulding

-35 in Another Gaylord site, Newberry and Pellston

-37 in Leota, and Rudyard

-39 in Roscommon

Absolutely unreal cold. Much of it has been stated but a recap for SE Michigan

DTW hit -12, not only a record for the day but the coldest temp on record for Detroit this late in the season. So Detroit has set 3 record lows in 2 days!

FNT hit -25 which not only smashed their daily record but tied for their all time coldest temp on record in flint.

The usual cold spots and valleys and rural areas had tons of -25 to -30 reports! I witnessed something ive never seen before.

When left my house around 710 this morning my car said -9. When I got to the usual cold spot just south of dtw in a rural slightly lower area...it got to -22! Ive never seen my car read lower than -13. It went back up as I got on the freeway but still. This spot is less than a mile from DTW btw.

ARB hit -30.

Wow all around.

Mean temperature for the month now stands at 10.6F (-11.9C) at YYZ. In comparison, Jan 1994 had a mean temperature of 9.6F (-12.4C), which is Toronto's coldest month on record (going back to 1937 at YYZ). Currently second place ahead of Jan 1977 which had a mean temperature of 10.9F (-11.7C). 

Only ONE winter from 1960-1980 had an above average Winter in terms of temperature, lol. Now thats brutal! 

Mean temperature for the month now stands at 10.6F (-11.9C) at YYZ. In comparison, Jan 1994 had a mean temperature of 9.6F (-12.4C), which is Toronto's coldest month on record (going back to 1937 at YYZ). Currently second place ahead of Jan 1977 which had a mean temperature of 10.9F (-11.7C).

Only ONE winter from 1960-1980 had an above average Winter in terms of temperature, lol. Now thats brutal!

There is at least one more polar lobe of air going to swing through before the end of the montH. That Toronto all time month record is definitely in play.

Some of the coldest spots in the state from today

-28 in Caro, Houghton Lake, and Lapeer

-29 in Alpena, Port Huron and 4 NNW of Richmond

-30 in Ann Arbor, and Cadillac

-31 in Engadine, and Gaylord

-32 in Cheboygon and Grayling

-33 in Atlanta, Champion, Indian River. Kalkaska, Lake, Mio, and Paulding

-35 in Another Gaylord site, Newberry and Pellston

-37 in Leota, and Rudyard

-39 in Roscommon

:yikes: Almost made it to the point where F/C meet up.

Archived