joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extreme cold February 2015

Rainman

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wednesday night through Friday morning is going to be brutal around here. Even though we have snow on the ground to the north and to the south of me, only one inch here or it could be worse (or better, depending on your pov).

It's funny how this "Extreme Cold This Weekend" thread has stretched through the following week.  It's looking like after a "mild" Saturday, the stretch will pick back up. Rainman may want to change the thread title.

MOAR COLD!! I don't know how to change the title. Maybe I can't from a tablet. I will try the laptop later, but good idea :)

Wednesday night will be brutal. Cold advection will be strong with no lakes to stop it. Thursday night could be a Sunday night repeat.

MOAR COLD!! I don't know how to change the title. Maybe I can't from a tablet. I will try the laptop later, but good idea :)

Wednesday night will be brutal. Cold advection will be strong with no lakes to stop it. Thursday night could be a Sunday night repeat.

Edit the first post of the thread, that is how you change the title.

The top floor of a 6 floor medical building was flooded here Monday closing the entire building. Only the top floor was open today and all will be opened tomorrow. Come Thursday morning, it wouldn't surprise me to hear of some water mains breaking around the area as they did last winter.

Knew it was up there in the rankings but didn't realize I'm forecasting the 2nd coldest high temp on record for so late in the season in Chicago on Thursday. Interestingly enough, the warmest of all guidance temps for ORD on Thursday is 8, which is still colder than the record low max of 9 for the date. Extremely impressive airmass.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If the extreme cold keeps up like the models imply, this could very well be a top 5 coldest February on record for Detroit.

It's already in the top 10 to date.

It feels like it. Very unpleasant.

At least last year got me semi-used to it, but it's still awful. I don't know how people up in Canada deal with this.

How is it possible to be 30 F below normal on average... my word. Places with means of 15F for February ended up with -15F. That's just crazy.

The multi-year drought of the 1930's actually assisted in that - easier to get that cold when the ground is starved of moisture.

Back to the topic at hand, my zone for Thursday night is -17 to -23. :shiver:

Although some moderation may occur towards the end of the month, the cold the rest of this week guarantees a top 10 coldest February on record here in Columbus.  The current mean is 23.5, which would tie for 12th place.  By the end of the week, the mean should be somewhere around 21.5-22, which would move it to around 6th. 

Salting this AM didn't feel that bad... 9°f with a partial sunny morning. I truly think you just get used to the temperatures over time.

Especially true if winds are calm and the sun is out.  For someone like myself who is often outside in the winter, it's amazing how benign temperatures in the  teens can feel by the end of a harsh winter.   Throw some wind in and it's a different story.

-7 at almost 3pm.. wind chill is -24 :yikes:

-14 and a 13 mph wind.  I'm a Winter guy but damn.  :(

If this was continuous (i.e. most of winter like Alaska and parts of Canada) then no thanks but I love a couple massive arctic outbreaks like this during winter.  I enjoy 94 at tech with temps between -30F to -40F ... the wind chills were crazy but it was not days on end so it didn't bother us.

Mean temperature for the month at YYZ is 11.1F (-11.6C) right now, making it the coldest February on record so far. About 10 days left so hopefully we can break that record. Old record is 12.5F (-10.8C) set back in Feb. 1979. 

On the other hand, the coldest month ever recorded at YYZ is Jan. 1994 which had a mean temperature of 9.6F (-12.4C). 

Records go back to 1937. 

If this was continuous (i.e. most of winter like Alaska and parts of Canada) then no thanks but I love a couple massive arctic outbreaks like this during winter.  I enjoy 94 at tech with temps between -30F to -40F ... the wind chills were crazy but it was not days on end so it didn't bother us.

I just don't care at all for temps this cold.  For one, I love to spend time outside and when it's like this, it just isn't enjoyable.

I prefer temps above 5 degrees.  This is the coldest Winter I have ever experienced.  Granted my normal high in Winter is 22 (now up to 25), but there were only a few days above freezing all Winter at my house.

And.... now that the lake is pretty much frozen, there is no bonus to the cold like there was the first few artic outbreaks earlier when the lake dumped.

And with nearly 4' of snow here in the Huron's, the deer are already tired, hungry, and stressed and this severe cold is a bad thing for them after being affected so hard last winter... and an early snow pack this fall that cut their feeding season down a couple weeks which is detrimental to the young fawns.

OK I'm done :P

Archived