• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extreme cold February 2015

Rainman

If nothing else changes we should average 26 degrees below normal for today. Average is 35/21 for 28 daily average, right now 7/-5 will be our high and low with an average of 2. At this point if nothing changes we will be colder than last February and colder than 1978/1979.

7/-5 makes for a daily average of 1. All are daily records. -28 for the day. Stay warm. :snowman:

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got to be close to having the coldest February on record or at least approaching

The coldest Detroit February was in 1875, with an average temperature of 12.2, which is just amazing (and was also the coldest month ever). I think that's pretty much out of reach, but a top 5 is possible. We're at 16.4 through 2/18 (which is where Jan 2014 ended up on the nose).

I'm down to about -7F

YYZ down to -6F (-21C). This makes it the 6th night at or below -20C at YYZ so far. It'll be 7 after 1:00am. Good chance this February will end up being the coldest February on record and quite potentially, coldest ever at YYZ. Really surprising since we just broke the old record of 1977 right? back in 1994 (21 years ago).

OB loves his cold, LOL.

Nights like these show what a huge difference UHI makes (despite unified wind speeds, snowcover and sky cover).

It's only 0*C at City Airport.

I know it has a bit to do with record length, but this is partly why Flint & Saginaw usually snag a record low on a 3:1 margin compared to DTW.

DTW has been getting the golden nugget from Mother nature in recent years, lol. From the record breaking snowfall last year, to the record breaking cold this year, it's currently the hot spot of our region. We can't forget about the nice snowstorm 2 weeks ago as well. DTW is on a roll. 

DTW will get the record at 12:00am.

DTX in their afternoon discussion said it only got to -4 at DTW for 2/19 and only tied 1936, which was a typo. The min was -5 this morning, not -4.

The overnight record for tonight is -8, which I think will fall by morning.

Also, this gem from the discussion:

VERY WARM TEMPERATURES NEAR 30 DEGREES , ONLY A FEW DEGREES BELOW AVERAGE,

CAN BE EXPECTED BY SATURDAY EVENING GIVEN PROLONGED WARM ADVECTION

IN ADVANCE OF THE SYSTEM.

:lmao:

Archived