joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are really blowing this out of proportion! All because you want it to snow and I made a bold statement that it would get suppressed south. I'm not chesty about anything. I'm a humble person and weather prediction is one cause for that. I'm no better than anyone else in the field. I'm telling you the overall progressive pattern doesn't support a storm so why get excited only to be dissapointed later?

Let's put this into some weather board reality. Not sure how humble comes in here because your observations have not been confirmed yet. Most of this board section are winter weather lovers, we really will not admire someone who try to tell us things for "our own good" so we will not be "disappointed later". It's been tried before to help straighten us out and there is always push back. 

only in the mid atlantic do we hug models at this range...we have been doing it for years...

When our sub forum was making digital snowmen at 96+ hours for the storm at the beginning of February, I checked in on the NE forum. They were high-fiving each other. They knew the storm that became their first blizzard of the season was theirs.

They don't call us weenies for nothin'!

A little off-topic, but it would be interesting to learn where all these weather slang terms came from initially.  wx, weenie, goofus, euro, atari, xbox...if only we could archive them!

heh, not just here. We all do it. 

The SNE guys would never assume a solution like this is locked in...Of course they get more snow....but none of them takes suppressed or any other solution seriously at day 4.  The northern stream can drop in earlier and we will get a storm.  There is nothing about the pattern that prevents that solution.  It is harder to phase in a progressive pattern.  Even if the phase is too late, it can still come more north and west than the models are suggesting.  It could also get suppressed and screw us of course.  But the models didn't have no clue 18 runs out and then suddenly hit paydirt and lock in 15 runs out.  12 GFS is good evidence of that.

It's interesting how the UK Met and Canadian basically key on the 1st wave, and the GFS/Euro go with the 2nd wave.  Much to iron out. 

By the way, I'm hearing the GEFS is wetter.  I'm not sure if that translates up to you guys or not.

The members show about the same number of hits as 6z did, IMO.

The SNE guys would never assume a solution like this is locked in...Of course they get more snow....but none of them takes suppressed or any other solution seriously at day 4.  The northern stream can drop in earlier and we will get a storm.  There is nothing about the pattern that prevents that solution.  It is harder to phase in a progressive pattern.  Even if the phase is too late, it can still come more north and west than the models are suggesting.  It could also get suppressed and screw us of course.  But the models didn't have no clue 18 runs out and then suddenly hit paydirt and lock in 15 runs out.  12 GFS is good evidence of that.

:clap:

The SNE guys would never assume a solution like this is locked in...Of course they get more snow....but none of them takes suppressed or any other solution seriously at day 4. The northern stream can drop in earlier and we will get a storm. There is nothing about the pattern that prevents that solution. It is harder to phase in a progressive pattern. Even if the phase is too late, it can still come more north and west than the models are suggesting. It could also get suppressed and screw us of course. But the models didn't have no clue 18 runs out and then suddenly hit paydirt and lock in 15 runs out. 12 GFS is good evidence of that.

My post was mainly in jest. Outside of 72 hours, fairly sizeable shifts happen way more often than not. The only times you can really throw out a run is when it just doesn't fit the setup. The goalposts right now are probably between a right over head track and a miss (but relatively close) off of OBX.

I think someone hit the weenie button before running the 12z gfs. 2 more snow events before d12. Reminds me a little of last year with no real blocking but the ns/pv forcing storms under us. We got lucky a lot last year. Notsomuch this year but it looks like we will have more chances before the month is out. 

The pattern looks fairly stable.  STJ is active.  EPO and PNA seem to want to stay somewhat in our favor.  Of course no sign yet the NAO or AO want to lend a hand but we probably continue to get these type of opportunities, and while I remain skeptical that any single storm has a high probability the law of averages suggests given enough opportunities one could score a hit. 

My post was mainly in jest. Outside of 72 hours, fairly sizeable shifts happen way more often than not. The only times you can really throw out a run is when it just doesn't fit the setup. The goalposts right now are probably between a right over head track and a miss (but relatively close) off of OBX.

In most winters you can fade snow here from any range and be right.  Because our climo sucks and we can be screwed in so many different ways.  At this point in the game I find the "climo sucks/seasonal trend" reasoning much more compelling than pattern based reasoning.  Nothing about the pattern prevents us from getting a few inches of snow, even if via fringe or mix.

if we hug the models here it's because we have more to lose/fear than SNE.  we know it can slip away from us easily which is why we continue to watch each subsequent run after a good run.  i also think this hobby partly caters to control freaks imo.  we can't control the weather, so we need reassurance every single run that nothing bad will happen.  for that reason, i try not to get too high.  it's tough, though.  when i see a good run, i'm like everyone else.  i see dark greens and yellows on the radar, road stickage, etc.  then when a bad run shows up, that hope is lost...until the next run brings it back.

The pattern looks fairly stable.  STJ is active.  EPO and PNA seem to want to stay somewhat in our favor.  Of course no sign yet the NAO or AO want to lend a hand but we probably continue to get these type of opportunities, and while I remain skeptical that any single storm has a high probability the law of averages suggests given enough opportunities one could score a hit. 

"hits" are pretty subjective.  You're a KU chaser.  Many (not all) of us would be happy with 3-4" changing to sleet or 2" in JYO and 5" in Calvert County.

SNE guys have had many more storms that have come their way than we have had based on their location. They are more used to it and aren't as emotional about it.

Wow, GFS continues to make pretty substantial run to run changes at 500 mb.  Much closer to an earlier phase and some signs of slight negative tilt this run.  More vort energy at the base of the trough.  If this is the start of a trend, there is quite a bit of room for improvement. 

"hits" are pretty subjective.  You're a KU chaser.  Many (not all) of us would be happy with 3-4" changing to sleet or 2" in JYO and 5" in Calvert County.

I think a KU in this pattern is very unlikely unless we get a major trough aplification.  My bar now for my location is an event that ends with more then 6" on the ground.  That is not a crazy high expectation for here since on average I get several of those a year even in a mediocre year, but it would be my best storm by far this year.  So far I have just been fringed by the southern edge of all the northeast storms, or the northern edge of the mid atlantic clippers. 

Archived