• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

The pattern does not support a significant east coast storm!

I'm not sure how many in here were expecting this event to be a significant or major East Coast storm (well, maybe some were!).  Most I think were keeping expectations in check and hoping for something perhaps a bit more than the clipper system back in January.  In fact, before this big move south, many were just hoping for something halfway decent on the "front end" before a flip to rain/sleet/ice.  I don't think anyone would have seriously expected we'd be shut out like the 06Z GFS shows.  In the end, I don't think we'll get totally shut out, and think a light, cold event (1-3", 2-4") is still well in play.  Not guaranteeing that, but I think it's reasonable to keep that on the table especially with what the GEFS shows.  Anything more than that, at this point, no way...unless things change soon.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually the GFS ensemble runs on 06z look the best I've seen. There has got to be a correction to the north coming

why?  there may be a shift but the pattern is the pattern.  Now the OP not agreeing with ENS means there is still uncertainty but that could be a few great solutions skewing the mean....I think

Actually the GFS ensemble runs on 06z look the best I've seen. There has got to be a correction to the north coming

Maybe, but I'd hesitate to think that means a correction north has "got" to happen.  The 12Z ensembles yesterday were gung-ho in line with the ops during that spectacular run, and look how that changed in a short time.  However, there still is plenty of uncertainty, to be sure.

6z GEFS mean is WAY north of the 6z GFS.  And based on the individual members, it's not being unduly biased by 1 or 2 outliers.  There's even a warm rainer on the GEFS.  That said, 0z EPS sucks.  

attachicon.gifgfs_z500_mslp_us_20.png

attachicon.gifgfs-ens_z500_mslp_us_20.png

This is what I was mentioning earlier.  There's a good number of them that are good storms.

it's nice seeing trends but seems like these are significant trends...which may not end this run.  we want things to start locking in soon or else we could end up with a fish no storm.

i still want the euro to trend good this run, though lol.

fixed.  sorry if my original post was misleading.

The pattern. No support all year

It may be THE pattern, but it doesn't explain model swings.

As of yesterday morning the PATTERN see by the models and the data they had at that time allowed a storm to exist here.  After new data ingestion, the models no longer saw a pattern that would allow a storm.  The conditions modeled for Sunday through Wed don't exist.......they are a projection.

Do you want someone who will tell you the truth? Or do you want joe bastardi?

Of course the former.

But I'd be equally dubious of someone telling us at this lead time and in this pattern that a big hit was a "lock". You know as well as i do that few things are definitive - especially in the context of the current pattern - 5 days out.

I have zero problem with bad news or with forecasts of no snow - but I'm always going to raise an eyebrow at someone telling us they "know" what is going to happen with 100% certainty. And then compounding that questionable approach by getting all chesty about it and bragging about his past predictions. 

That's just another version of Joe Bastardi.

Giving him "credit" for "making a call and sticking with it" is exactly the opposite of what we should be doing. One of the reasons we all love and appreciate Wes so much is because, optimism or pessimism, he is modest and realistic in what he sees. He freely acknowledges the limits of his thinking, and is careful to include disclaimers and to stick to pointing out positive or negative patterns when we are still several days away from an event. 

I never get credit for anything :<

I thought the points you articulated yesterday about the northern stream becoming dominant vs previous runs and the progression of the front running/trailing vort getting squished were spot on.

The trouble started when the solution was trending towards an unconsolidated 2 piece kind of deal and not a single vort digging like what was being shown before.

The 12z nam yesterday was the first to show the front running piece speeding up. I wasn't sure that was a good thing because anything coming our way too early was going to have a hard time working out because of the strong confluence in place. Without consolidated energy, the main show wasn't going to deepen as quickly and turn the corner. At the time I wasn't too worried because as long as the trailing/stronger vort could get decent slp going along the deep south, there wasn't anything to keep it from turning early enough. As depicted now, it gets going too late.

I'm glad I didn't stay up for the euro. lol. We'll see how it goes. Shorter term trends this year have eased up on heights and trended towards more amplification. Still may not work out enough for a big hit but I sure don't want to get flat out whiffed here.

I'm definatley not a pro forecaster here, just learning over the years like you guys. I will say though all the ensemble runs are north on Canadian, GEFS and Euro. Plus the "less respected" models stil cannot be written off, such as the JMA, NAVY and dgex all show a nice storm for the area. Also the winter trend has drawn most storms back to the north this entire winter.

Looks like I may snow chase to my mom's house down near MYR.   :yikes:

In all seriousness, I wouldn't write this thing off until at least 0z Sunday.  Have we seen anything suppressed this winter?

Saturday is my point of no return.  If nothing good by 12z Saturday... Punt it and look for the next 10 days fantasy storm.

Looking at the 00z GFS and CMC ensembles, the bad news is that the control run is to the west of the op in both.  That suggests that the ensembles might look better because of their lower resolution.  But there are still several members to the west of the control runs.

The individual members appear (to me) to support Nor Easter's analysis last night.  The GL low could pull this back to us.

Archived