Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course the former.

But I'd be equally dubious of someone telling us at this lead time and in this pattern that a big hit was a "lock". You know as well as i do that few things are definitive - especially in the context of the current pattern - 5 days out.

I have zero problem with bad news or with forecasts of no snow - but I'm always going to raise an eyebrow at someone telling us they "know" what is going to happen with 100% certainty. And then compounding that questionable approach by getting all chesty about it and bragging about his past predictions.

That's just another version of Joe Bastardi.

Giving him "credit" for "making a call and sticking with it" is exactly the opposite of what we should be doing. One of the reasons we all love and appreciate Wes so much is because, optimism or pessimism, he is modest and realistic in what he sees. He freely acknowledges the limits of his thinking, and is careful to include disclaimers and to stick to pointing out positive or negative patterns when we are still several days away from an event.

You are really blowing this out of proportion! All because you want it to snow and I made a bold statement that it would get suppressed south. I'm not chesty about anything. I'm a humble person and weather prediction is one cause for that. I'm no better than anyone else in the field. I'm telling you the overall progressive pattern doesn't support a storm so why get excited only to be dissapointed later?

Of course the former.

But I'd be equally dubious of someone telling us at this lead time and in this pattern that a big hit was a "lock". You know as well as i do that few things are definitive - especially in the context of the current pattern - 5 days out.

I have zero problem with bad news or with forecasts of no snow - but I'm always going to raise an eyebrow at someone telling us they "know" what is going to happen with 100% certainty. And then compounding that questionable approach by getting all chesty about it and bragging about his past predictions.

That's just another version of Joe Bastardi.

Giving him "credit" for "making a call and sticking with it" is exactly the opposite of what we should be doing. One of the reasons we all love and appreciate Wes so much is because, optimism or pessimism, he is modest and realistic in what he sees. He freely acknowledges the limits of his thinking, and is careful to include disclaimers and to stick to pointing out positive or negative patterns when we are still several days away from an event.

And in addition...I'd better not see this another version of Joe Bastardi nonsense referenced toward me. That's a bold statement and likely one you would only make on here because there is no repercussion for an Internet post.

You are really blowing this out of proportion! All because you want it to snow and I made a bold statement that it would get suppressed south. I'm not chesty about anything. I'm a humble person and weather prediction is one cause for that. I'm no better than anyone else in the field. I'm telling you the overall progressive pattern doesn't support a storm so why get excited only to be dissapointed later?

good comment and you're right !!jmho

You really couldn't be more wrong about my motivations. Continue to tell yourself that if it makes you feel better, though.

ers-wxman is far more qualified to make forecasts than the vast majority of us... no need to get snippy if you disagree with the way he's conveying his thoughts.

And in addition...I'd better not see this another version of Joe Bastardi nonsense referenced toward me. That's a bold statement and likely one you would only make on here because there is no repercussion for an Internet post.

I totally agree with you and am impressed how ballsy you are predicting this over 4 days out. But i think if you had just said i think this will stay south instead of guaranteeing it and being absolute, no one would be giving you a hard time. As we all know in weather it is basically impossible to be definite this far out. That being said i really appreciate and value your input here.

Pieces of energy spinning up north around the Eastern Canadian Vortex is adding to the issues. The GFS has been bringing down that vortex further and further south each run since yesterday causing a wider trough vs the sharper trough GFS had yesterday. The Baja energy is now getting left behind in the later runs which is discouraging. 

I will say that even small changes in the position of the energy spinning around the Vortex can have big implications for raising heights again along the coastline. This is why we see such a big diff from the GEFS vs OP and the UKMET vs GFS. This is still unresolved, fast flow several pieces of energy causing havoc.

Looking at the 12Z 60HR so far with the energy in Canada it looks better than 6Z for sure. Coming into the U.S further west with a more "diggy"  look. Should have positive effects downstream.

Hmm, it looks like a bit too much banter to me for a model discussion. Let's stick to the models and what we know (don't know).

Oh, and ia it time to start a new thread? (50 pages and counting). Maybe with all the banter, this would be a good time to lock this one down and start another one..

I totally agree with you and am impressed how ballsy you are predicting this over 4 days out. But i think if you had just said i think this will stay south instead of guaranteeing it and being absolute, no one would be giving you a hard time. As we all know in weather it is basically impossible to be definite this far out. That being said i really appreciate and value your input here.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I will also try in the future to tone down my language.

Hmm, it looks like a bit too much banter to me for a model discussion. Let's stick to the models and what we know (don't know).

Oh, and ia it time to start a new thread? (50 pages and counting). Maybe with all the banter, this would be a good time to lock this one down and start another one..

Agreed and if one of the mods can move all the posts to the banter thread that would be great.

This winter, once one model has a big shift they all follow suit. I knew yesterday after the 18Z GFS we were toast.

We aren't toast because of a model run, we are toast because the NAO and AO are going to be in the +2.5-3 range during the time of this threat.  I was more optimistic about this pattern a week ago when just about all of the guidance suggested the NAO would hang out in the neutral to +1 range.  There is a HUGE difference for our storm chances between a neutral NAO/AO and a raging positive one.  And there are some really stupid comments going around online right now about what the positive NAO will do even from pro mets.  A positive NAO does not mean the storm has to trend north.  A very positive NAO will cause the flow to be progressive.  It will also mean highs will move out fast.  So the thermal boundary will usually be retreating fast as a storm approaches.  So basically if a stj system ejects with enough energy it will amplify and cut north until it reaches the deep enough cold to resist, and that will be north of us.  If the system comes out without enough energy it will get bullied and squashed by the northern branch.  Its a lose lose.  Yes it is possible to get a system to come out weak initially, stay under us, then phase and amp at exactly the right time.  It has happened, but its VERY rare and not something to hold your breath on or expect.  This setup leaves us hoping for a thread the needle storm.  I can't believe the crap going around about +NAO means it has to come north.  ugh

Basically each storm that comes along is a long shot, and we are rolling the dice hoping to roll a 12.  If we get several chances in this pattern could we get lucky once...sure, but each individual storm is a long shot.  I still think if the NAO wants to stay this positive our best shot is as we get into March and the wavelengths continue to shorten, the combo of the EPO blocking and the positive NAO drops a monster trough down and we end the year with a big bombing storm somewhere in the East.  Of course with our luck it will be an apps runner.

Archived