joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. It's just a completely different storm then it was 24 hours ago on the models. I imposed an inside 72 hour rule on myself a few weeks ago. It has saved me buckets of heartbreak this past month.

I never get emotionally invested anymore. And esp not this winter. I track it, and if we get close and it looks like a high probability, it becomes more than just something in the back of my mind. Otherwise I got other stuff to do. I haven't stayed up for a 0z suite of runs for over a month. I sleep really well.

I never get emotionally invested anymore. And esp not this winter. I track it, and if we get close and it looks like a high probability, it becomes more than just something in the back of my mind. Otherwise I got other stuff to do. I haven't stayed up for a 0z suite of runs for over a month. I sleep really well.

Well, I'm on my last night shift for a long time. I rarely get into posting every model run.  I'm all about trends and wait and watch. Will be in bed very soon.   

At least in 93-94 we got sleet. This winter is so exciting - we get a lot of heavy rain at 32 degrees - so much more satisfying than sleet

Poor west coast, that damned ridge thats gonna freeze us to death, is keeping them so dry. I shudder when I think about the summer of 2015 in the west. Forest fires are gonna rage and reservoirs are gonna go bone dry. Then the mad max water wars will start lol. Imagine water selling like gas out west. Thats whats gonna happen if they dont get rain soon

fire season will start early

Mount Holly AFD...good points

THE REST OF THE LONG TERM WE DID NOT CHANGE MUCH. WPC/CONTINUITY

BLEND. NOTED THAT THE CAN GGEM AND ECMWF HAVE GONE SOUTH. BUT WE

HAVE SEEN RUNS WHERE THE MODELS HAVE DONE THIS 4 TO 5 DAYS OUT

ONLY TO RETURN TO THE ORIGINAL PLAN. ALSO ACROSS THE BOARD MODEL

VERIFICATION STATS FOR THIS WINTER VS THE FISHING IN THE BARREL

WINTER OF 2009-10 ARE DOWN (ANOMALY CORRELATIONS FOR ALL OF THEM)

AT THIS FORECAST RANGE. ONLY CHANGES WE MADE SINCE THIS WAS A

TREND WITH EARLIER RUNS WAS TO SLOW THE ARRIVAL OF PCPN AND MAKE

IT "SNOWIER" GIVEN A NOD TO A MORE SOUTHERN TRACK.

It's interesting to see them hold their forecasts based on seasonal trends and LWX swing theirs wildly with the model runs.

I actually like where we sit right now in regards to what has happened this winter. yea 6z was sheared and was not what I wanted to see, but I would rather have it there then trending north with every run up to Northwest PA.  Lets wait and see what happens today. Remember last week the models right up until the storm kept taking it north until DC ended up hitting 68 Sunday and tying a high record. 

Mount Holly AFD...good points

THE REST OF THE LONG TERM WE DID NOT CHANGE MUCH. WPC/CONTINUITY

BLEND. NOTED THAT THE CAN GGEM AND ECMWF HAVE GONE SOUTH. BUT WE

HAVE SEEN RUNS WHERE THE MODELS HAVE DONE THIS 4 TO 5 DAYS OUT

ONLY TO RETURN TO THE ORIGINAL PLAN. ALSO ACROSS THE BOARD MODEL

VERIFICATION STATS FOR THIS WINTER VS THE FISHING IN THE BARREL

WINTER OF 2009-10 ARE DOWN (ANOMALY CORRELATIONS FOR ALL OF THEM)

AT THIS FORECAST RANGE. ONLY CHANGES WE MADE SINCE THIS WAS A

TREND WITH EARLIER RUNS WAS TO SLOW THE ARRIVAL OF PCPN AND MAKE

IT "SNOWIER" GIVEN A NOD TO A MORE SOUTHERN TRACK.

Since when did mount holly get Justin Berk to write there afd?

I actually like where we sit right now in regards to what has happened this winter. yea 6z was sheared and was not what I wanted to see, but I would rather have it there then trending north with every run up to Northwest PA. Lets wait and see what happens today. Remember last week the models right up until the storm kept taking it north until DC ended up hitting 68 Sunday and tying a high record.

Different situation though. There is likely to be a monster buzz saw NE of Maine looking to rip this apart like cardboard. The south vort looks like cardboard..weak and flimsy...if it moved away some maybe...but I am not in a position to argue with any experts

Every single storm has come north this year and the cold air has never been as strong as modeled. I would be shocked if this did not come back north. Last words

This will be the one time that a north shift does not occur.  Winter 2015 can't get over soon enough.  I would much rather have a 2002-type winter where it's mild throughout than repeated shots of bitter cold with no snow.

glimmer of reason to step back from ledge..or go to a higher floor

THE FCST IS RATHER UNCERTAIN REGARDING WINTER WEATHER POTENTIAL
FROM THE ROCKIES/PLAINS THROUGH THE EAST MON-WED.  LATEST TRENDS
TOWARD A MORE SUPPRESSED SFC SYSTEM WOULD LIMIT THE NWD/NWWD
EXTENT OF PCPN VERSUS PRIOR CONSENSUS.  SOURCES OF UPR SUPPORT FOR
THIS SYSTEM SUGGEST IT MAY TAKE UNTIL AT LEAST SUN TO GAIN DECENT
CONFIDENCE IN REFINING PCPN TYPES AND DURATION/INTENSITY.

glimmer of reason to step back from ledge..or go to a higher floor

FROM THE ROCKIES/PLAINS THROUGH THE EAST MON-WED.  LATEST TRENDS

EXTENT OF PCPN VERSUS PRIOR CONSENSUS.  SOURCES OF UPR SUPPORT FOR

what's a met educated forecast??

I fully expect this to start coming back North but only so ....my reasoning is seasonal trend plus I think the models are seeing way too much cold...yeesh it has Boston at -14 next week at 2m. That moderates and she lifts north a bit...I certainly can see a radar similar to that rain mess a few weeks ago with that super sharp cutoff to the west....but you knew I would talk fringe at some part

glimmer of reason to step back from ledge..or go to a higher floor

FROM THE ROCKIES/PLAINS THROUGH THE EAST MON-WED. LATEST TRENDS

EXTENT OF PCPN VERSUS PRIOR CONSENSUS. SOURCES OF UPR SUPPORT FOR

We did have a system suppressed and sheared to nothing earlier in the season. I thing the precipitation field could come north some, but I think the distance has become too great to overcome.

This winter has been a great example of what it's like around here (normally) w/o blocking. Cold and dry...warm and wet. My goodness, if this doesn't remind me of the 1984-85 and '85-'86 winters. If that storm were to come north, it would probably come too far inland. Even the system being modeled next Sunday (2/25) has some red flags, given the NAO outlook. Though you would think we'd get lucky, even w/o blocking, with a temporary, transitory upper confluence zone and surface HP to our north just as the right time. But that takes a lot of luck, like kicking a 50 yard field goal with a 30-40 mph head or cross wind.

Archived