• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

GFS will be an improvement over 6z run...maybe its the start of the Northernly jog....this is going to be a long weekend.

My (un?)educated guess is that we don't get whiffed like the 06Z showed, and a smallish 1-3" or maybe 2-4" event is still quite possible.  That said, I don't think we see the really good solutions from the other day, unless something else changes fairly radically.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We aren't toast because of a model run, we are toast because the NAO and AO are going to be in the +2.5-3 range during the time of this threat.  I was more optimistic about this pattern a week ago when just about all of the guidance suggested the NAO would hang out in the neutral to +1 range.  There is a HUGE difference for our storm chances between a neutral NAO/AO and a raging positive one.  And there are some really stupid comments going around online right now about what the positive NAO will do even from pro mets.  A positive NAO does not mean the storm has to trend north.  A very positive NAO will cause the flow to be progressive.  It will also mean highs will move out fast.  So the thermal boundary will usually be retreating fast as a storm approaches.  So basically if a stj system ejects with enough energy it will amplify and cut north until it reaches the deep enough cold to resist, and that will be north of us.  If the system comes out without enough energy it will get bullied and squashed by the northern branch.  Its a lose lose.  Yes it is possible to get a system to come out weak initially, stay under us, then phase and amp at exactly the right time.  It has happened, but its VERY rare and not something to hold your breath on or expect.  This setup leaves us hoping for a thread the needle storm.  I can't believe the crap going around about +NAO means it has to come north.  ugh

interesting thought, thanks!

The snowfall map is almost dead-on with 18z yesterday, just lighter amounts.

All we can do is hope this is the eastern edge of guidance. I liked seeing heights tick up early on. Less squish in place before the low gets going. We're only talking about 75-100 miles away from a nice storm at 4-5 days out. 

nor easter crushing it with his posts the past several days. He actually got me into weatherboards especially after he called the Jan 25,2000 storm haha 

Hahahah you're too kind bro.

But yeah, you could def see the improvement coming when looking up in Canada in the 60H range. That's why I wasn't mad at the look 0Z gave us last night. Still evolving. I like this look, has lots of room for improvement with small changes.

The vort in the sw didn't dig as far as 6z. Heights in front allowed more amplification as well. It's still dicey as F but were not out of the game yet. 

with the storm set to start sometime late Tuesday, i would say between now and Sunday is the window for big changes. I think by Sunday 12z, we will know as it will start to lock some by then. But the differences between 6z and 12z are laughable

People are making way too many definitive statements after each model run.  I am certainly in the skeptical camp and think this is a long shot, but I certainly would not bet my house on it either way.  Of course it has a shot, even if that shot is less then 50/50.  Its kinda like if we had a better NAO this would be a 40 yard FG to win the game, and instead its a 55 yard FG with a stiff breeze.  But I would be nervous making "No way it comes north" or "its definitely going to come north" type comments.   At least the weather has humbled me enough times over the years not to do that.

with the storm set to start sometime late Tuesday, i would say between now and Sunday is the window for big changes. I think by Sunday 12z, we will know as it will start to lock some by then. But the differences between 6z and 12z are laughable

Same can be said for the 12z/0z euro. If the euro jumps back nw then really nothing can be trusted to the point of making fast decisions. I agree with you about the ensembles jumping with the ops. Sunday is the day of reckoning. 

People are making way too many definitive statements after each model run.  I am certainly in the skeptical camp and think this is a long shot, but I certainly would not bet my house on it either way.  Of course it has a shot, even if that shot is less then 50/50.  Its kinda like if we had a better NAO this would be a 40 yard FG to win the game, and instead its a 55 yard FG with a stiff breeze.  But I would be nervous making "No way it comes north" or "its definitely going to come north" type comments.   At least the weather has humbled me enough times over the years not to do that.

Agreed.

It makes sense to be realistic - perhaps even pessimistic - but we're way too far out to be suggesting that we *know* what is going to happen. 48 hours ago there was much more concern about a miss to the north/west, and we are still 4-4.5 days away.

Bingo.

LOL............how sure are you?

LOL.  I know you're probably saying that to him to troll as humor.  But I wouldn't get too high and base things off seeing one deterministic run that looks a bit better.  For all we know, the ensembles and then the Euro could come in looking just as bad as before (hopefully that won't be the case!).

(ETA:  Besides, why even drag that whole argument from earlier back into the conversation again?)

Archived