• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Long duration overrunning to coastal disco 02/07-02/09

Damage In Tolland

I am by no means a met. I was an an avid reader/sometimes poster on easternuswx years ago.

Over the years i have noticed when there is some serious cold entrenched the models just dont grasp it quite like they should.

For me this is no different. I really dont think the models have a solid hold on this cold air. During the last storm i felt the cold was under-forecasted as well which it certainly was.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am by no means a met. I was an an avid reader/sometimes poster on easternuswx years ago.

Over the years i have noticed when there is some serious cold entrenched the models just dont grasp it quite like they should.

For me this is no different. I really dont think the models have a solid hold on this cold air. During the last storm i felt the cold was under-forecasted as well which it certainly was.

Absolutely. Everybody was jabbering and jabbing in the last storm for Taint to go at Least to the pike. And I here in Northern Rhode Island sleeted for 45 minutes Max.

Absolutely. Everybody was jabbering and jabbing in the last storm for Taint to go at Least to the pike. And I here in Northern Rhode Island sleeted for 45 minutes Max.

I spent a lot of winters on the boundary line(my youth). After this recent pattern change It feels like new hampshire has come to the south shore of boston. I say this cause i spent the last 2 winters in dover NH.

New england up into canada is virtually one big ice cube. I could see the blocking being moderately underforecasted.

Especially in this short-term timeframe!

Edit: GFS looks stellar out to 51. Great hit for majority of SNE

Well every model thus far at 12z has ticked south...including the NAM even if it is jackpotting YUL.

That's probably a good sign for this arctic boundary holding down the fort for this event...still a lot of complex evolution to iron out though,

Well every model thus far at 12z has ticked south...including the NAM even if it is jackpotting YUL.

That's probably a good sign for this arctic boundary holding down the fort for this event...still a lot of complex evolution to iron out though,

I could see areas south of the Pike struggling on the Sat/Sun deal but really cashing in on Monday? A stronger wave to help developing a strong band of frontogenesis along the front could really be prolific. 

I could see areas south of the Pike struggling on the Sat/Sun deal but really cashing in on Monday? A stronger wave to help developing a strong band of frontogenesis along the front could really be prolific. 

I could see Monday trending more robust with precip as we get closer.

The kinematics are interesting for this system.  

The arctic high wedging in from the N is going to provide a fairly steep elevated frontal slope, such that comparatively less jet max(es) ridging over top/near-by that can mechanically induce restoring underneath in that 800-600mb depth, are going to be tipping said restoring flows rather upright.  

Then as each right exit relays through the left entrance associated with individual speed maxes ... the resulting q-v forcing/UVM will be angled rather steeply, maximizing moisture condensates.  The models have what they have as far as QPF, but can we question the accuracy of them when these particulars are notable; those being up-tier efficiency in production relative to overall differentials.  The S/W(s)/overall interval of amplitude is not eye-poppingly intense by any means, but happens to time rather ideally with artic +PP passing N of the area from later tomorrow through Tuesday.  

The gist:  Long duration ideal overrunning taps into steeper than normal elevated frontal slopes .... to maximize condensation in snow growth regions of the ambiant sounding.  This would actually be an ideal ice storm scenario but the discussed frontal slopes being so steep (...as also expressed by compressed horizontal thickness packing) squeezes p-type bands into narrow concerns.  There's likely to be a narrow ice belt - where where where.  Probably somewhere NCY - southern RI would be my guess.  Even with higher res models that may espouse greater accuracy in BL events ... could see the boundary being correctable S given to +PP N and ageostrophic forcing.  

So in a nut shell ... my analysis is just an incredible wintery appeal for couple three days.  Not enough that for some, an unbearable snow pack while for others, surpassing dreams already paints the landscape ... we're talking blue tinted dawns and dusks book-ending daily scenes out of a Barrow Alaskan web-cam en route!   

One thing I am still concerned about is the exact potency (which is never actually measurable. ha) gets sampled wrt to whatever it is that ultimately relays off the Pacific onto land out west.  Take any run of the NAM; while not questioning the veracity of the model depictions, there is something to be said about the 8 to 10 jetlettes identifiably penetrating the transiently flattened western N/A +PNA ridge.  That vorticity shrapnel makes it real hard to know more coherently what is going to happen ultimately over the upper MA and NE regions.  If more rather than less comes in ... this upcoming long duration event ends with more of a crescendo spin up/nor'easter... if not, it probably wanes out to nothingness.  

Interesting.

Archived