• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Long duration overrunning to coastal disco 02/07-02/09

Damage In Tolland

The rhetoric still gets a little overwhelming though....the complaining could be toned down in here and we could stick to the meteorology...we don't need every other post as "meh". Same goes for "yay!!"...these threads should be more about the meteorology.

Thank you

Complaining about the complaining exacerbates the issue. 

PM a mod, or take it to banter.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SUN NIGHT INTO TUESDAY...GOOD MODEL AGREEMENT THAT TRAILING SHORT
WAVE WILL BE THE MOST ROBUST JET IMPULSE AND INDUCE A MODEST TO
STRONG FRONTAL WAVE OVER THE OH VLY SUNDAY. THIS LOW THEN TRACKS
EASTWARD AND INTENSIFIES AS IT PASSES NEAR THE 40N/70W BENCHMARK MON
NIGHT. THIS IS A SLIGHTLY NORTHWARD TREND FROM LAST NIGHT/S RUNS
WHERE SURFACE LOW TRACK SOUTHEAST OF THE BENCHMARK.

1035 MB HIGH OVER EASTERN QUEBEC PROVIDES MOIST POLAR MARITIME
INFLOW INTO NEW ENGLAND...YIELDING MODEST ONSHORE WIND ANOMALIES
/COLD CONVEYOR BELT -CCB/ AT 925 AND 850. THIS MODEST TO STRONG
ATLANTIC INFLOW WILL LIKELY RESULT IN GUSTY WINDS AND BLOWING
/POSSIBLY DRIFTING/ SNOW ALONG THE COASTAL PLAIN OF EASTERN MA.
LOW RISK THAT RAIN/SNOW LINE MAY CREEP ONSHORE INTO THE SOUTH
COAST. ALTHOUGH TOO EARLY TO GET THAT SPECIFIC AT THIS TIME RANGE.

VERY SURPRISING THE LACK OF SPREAD HERE GIVEN FORECAST TIME IS STILL
72+ HRS AWAY. REGARDING POTENTIAL SNOWFALL...MODEL CONSENSUS FROM
THE 00Z UKMET/GFS/ECMWF AND ITS ENSEMBLES /EPS/ HAS A LARGE SWATH OF
4-8" SUN NGT INTO EARLY TUE ACROSS SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. HEAVIEST
AMOUNTS ARE ACROSS NORTHERN PORTIONS OF CT-RI NORTHWARD TO THE MA/NH
BORDER. THE UKMET IS FARTHEST SOUTH WITH AXIS ALONG MA PIKE SOUTHWARD
INTO CT-RI. EPS IS FARTHEST NORTH INTO SOUTHERN NH. STILL TOO EARLY
TO FOCUS SPECIFICS BUT NEVERTHELESS LONG DURATION SNOW EVENT HAS
THE POTENTIAL FOR STORM TOTALS OF 6-12" FROM SAT NIGHT INTO EARLY
TUE.

Wow, I'm not complaining at all, A comment was made to GYX's take as being underwhelming for this event, And over the long period i don't see where they should honk it up, Am i being wrong here?

It sounded like you guys were just shrugging it off in a meh fashion. No biggie. Mahk's HPC fetish is going to make him bald soon.

It's a 6-12 event south of the pike from south to north..and if the south trends continue today ..you can shift that south

Ensembles are pretty similar...not sure why you are saying they aren't. They still give you snow...but they are a bit north of yesterday. They have the max snow from the pike to about dendrite...prob like a 4-8 event for you.

If I'm reading Kevin's post correctly, I think he is calling for about 6" south of the pike and 12" north of there, depending on the trend today (north or south).

I still don't see how adding 6" of snow is a bad thing.  I'll take any and all snow that adds to my bottom line.

This next stretch is absolutely fascinating to me - snow falling in the background over a period of days. Dare I say, snow falling is almost becoming a way of life?

The immediate impact will be low, but the challenge of where to put it will still be a problem for municipalities.

These last couple of weeks feel like the closest taste to what it is like to live in a true arctic location. All we need is to go weeks without the sun rising.

Bingo.

i don't get the whole competition angle but whatever. Seems like a east moist inflow event with the EMA coast getting it pretty good as well as the Berks and east slopes, some shadowing appears to be in store too as often happens when the flow is set up in the predicted fashion. I think the bigger societal impact might be the areas of frdz at 15-20 degrees when lift is minimal. Good idea for you and yours to keep an eye on that.

If I'm reading Kevin's post correctly, I think he is calling for about 6" south of the pike and 12" north of there, depending on the trend today (north or south).

I still don't see how adding 6" of snow is a bad thing. I'll take any and all snow that adds to my bottom line.

Well I meant 6 in S Ct with amounts to a foot by the time you hit pike. So something like 9-10 for us

i don't get the whole competition angle but whatever. Seems like a east moist inflow event with the EMA coast getting it pretty good as well as the Berks and east slopes, some shadowing appears to be in store too as often happens when the flow is set up in the predicted fashion. I think the bigger societal impact might be the areas of frdz at 15-20 degrees when lift is minimal. Good idea for you and yours to keep an eye on that.

FRDZ is the worst...  If it is on snow does it lessen the impact for roads?

There definitely could be a bit of orgraphic enhancement and some mesoscale convergence enhancement playing a bigger role in this system than usual due to the lack of big time mid-level forcing. So some other variables end up getting more weight.

SUN NIGHT INTO TUESDAY...GOOD MODEL AGREEMENT THAT TRAILING SHORT

WAVE WILL BE THE MOST ROBUST JET IMPULSE AND INDUCE A MODEST TO

STRONG FRONTAL WAVE OVER THE OH VLY SUNDAY. THIS LOW THEN TRACKS

EASTWARD AND INTENSIFIES AS IT PASSES NEAR THE 40N/70W BENCHMARK MON

NIGHT. THIS IS A SLIGHTLY NORTHWARD TREND FROM LAST NIGHT/S RUNS

WHERE SURFACE LOW TRACK SOUTHEAST OF THE BENCHMARK.

1035 MB HIGH OVER EASTERN QUEBEC PROVIDES MOIST POLAR MARITIME

INFLOW INTO NEW ENGLAND...YIELDING MODEST ONSHORE WIND ANOMALIES

/COLD CONVEYOR BELT -CCB/ AT 925 AND 850. THIS MODEST TO STRONG

ATLANTIC INFLOW WILL LIKELY RESULT IN GUSTY WINDS AND BLOWING

/POSSIBLY DRIFTING/ SNOW ALONG THE COASTAL PLAIN OF EASTERN MA.

LOW RISK THAT RAIN/SNOW LINE MAY CREEP ONSHORE INTO THE SOUTH

COAST. ALTHOUGH TOO EARLY TO GET THAT SPECIFIC AT THIS TIME RANGE.

VERY SURPRISING THE LACK OF SPREAD HERE GIVEN FORECAST TIME IS STILL

72+ HRS AWAY. REGARDING POTENTIAL SNOWFALL...MODEL CONSENSUS FROM

THE 00Z UKMET/GFS/ECMWF AND ITS ENSEMBLES /EPS/ HAS A LARGE SWATH OF

4-8" SUN NGT INTO EARLY TUE ACROSS SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. HEAVIEST

AMOUNTS ARE ACROSS NORTHERN PORTIONS OF CT-RI NORTHWARD TO THE MA/NH

BORDER. THE UKMET IS FARTHEST SOUTH WITH AXIS ALONG MA PIKE SOUTHWARD

INTO CT-RI. EPS IS FARTHEST NORTH INTO SOUTHERN NH. STILL TOO EARLY

TO FOCUS SPECIFICS BUT NEVERTHELESS LONG DURATION SNOW EVENT HAS

THE POTENTIAL FOR STORM TOTALS OF 6-12" FROM SAT NIGHT INTO EARLY

TUE.

Well there you go.  Nice write up by BOX as to where we stand today/at the moment.  Lets see where the 12z suite goes from here. No more fighting about getting shut out or not please.

There definitely could be a bit of orgraphic enhancement and some mesoscale convergence enhancement playing a bigger role in this system than usual due to the lack of big time mid-level forcing. So some other variables end up getting more weight.

Summarized in two of Scooters favorite words, Not Boring

Smaller version of March 2013

Absolutely nothing like that event. We definitely do not have a big firehose coming off the Atlantic from 300mb downward.

Only similarity is we might get snowflakes from each event and that both lacked a huge mid-level forcing band or bands. But It is like comparing a tropical wave to a cat 4. Almost no resemblance.

I mentioned the bolded twice the last few days...you still have to put it somewhere, and when you have what we have on the ground, this becomes challenging to say the least.

The DPW's need to stay on top of snow removal, not just pushing it back.  Lots of crowded places to our north have way more snow on the ground and they manage just fine.  When I think of some experiences I've had in places like Quebec it kind of makes the current pack seem small.

I think people should focus on the different periods of snow instead of the total amount by next Wednesday. 

Absolutely nothing like that event. We definitely do not have a big firehose coming off the Atlantic from 300mb downward.

Only similarity is we might get snowflakes from each event and that both lacked a huge mid-level forcing band or bands. But It is like comparing a tropical wave to a cat 4. Almost no resemblance.

Umm I meant with the mEsocale nuances, shadowing etc. reminds me of that somrwhat

Archived