Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

Euro has 5-6/hr. panels of qpf for BWI totaling .27"

it's basically an overrunning event

and really, gfs is a glorified overrunning event with a weak low, which is fine so don't get me wrong

I think the cutter is out because the pv has getten modeled stronger

I do believe the extended periods of qpf on the Euro bode well and I expect to see the qpf numbers increase in light of its stubborn bias of keeping too much energy stuck in the sw USA

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would hope that no one complains too much about the differences between 0z and 6z.  those are two nice runs

QPF was reduced and the low is further north. Maybe a blip or 12Z will have us asking WTF once again. This is usually the point in time when things start to unravel with the models. I know we have some blocking so I won't complain too much.

6z ensemble members for the GFS are more amped than 6z OP, I'd rather take our chances with a GGEM type solution than get a sheared out POS. That's just me though. It is never easy in this hobby. 

I think, in the end, suppression depression will be a greater concern (though not necessarily the result) than warmer/rainier

QPF was reduced and the low is further north. Maybe a blip or 12Z will have us asking WTF once again. This is usually the point in time when things start to unravel with the models. I know we have some blocking so I won't complain too much.

3+ days out from the storm. Waffling with the models is to be expected. The "look" is there for a storm to give us some winter precip. Finer details probably can't even be pinned down until later on Saturday.

I think, in the end, suppression depression will be a greater concern (though not necessarily the result) than warmer/rainier

Yeah I completely agree. There is a ton of cold air around. I think a blown up cutter is off the table. A weak apps runner may actually work. Southern slider just north enough would do the trick too. So we shall see. Hopefully by this time tomorrow we are talking about when we will see the first WSW's

Obviously we hope for more but I'd have no trouble signing on the dotted line for a simple event bringing 2-5/3-6 followed by days of big cold to preserve snow pack. The simpler the better.

There's upside mixed in there but too early to over analyze. Very few west tracks. I counted 3-4 or so. Today's 12z should hopefully seal the fate on not getting rain.

I'm pretty stoked on this one so far. Like Phin said. Uncomplicated.

There's upside mixed in there but too early to over analyze. Very few west tracks. I counted 3-4 or so. Today's 12z should hopefully seal the fate on not getting rain.

I'm pretty stoked on this one so far. Like Phin said. Uncomplicated.

Been telling some people the same thing...Pretty straight forward system. Of course models will vary, but I think they will have a better handle on this one. 

I'm not trying to be a downer but. Thats a serious HP and depending where the PV ends up there is still a very real possibility that this could slide under us. I would feel much better with a wound up solution. With that cold air in place I'll take my chances on a changeover to some ice or rain at the end if it trys to runs up the Apps.

Really nice trends with the last several model cycles.  Lakes cutter solution seems to have really fallen out of favor.  That's all I want at this point.  I think the big question is how much energy comes out of the Baja low.  That's probably the difference maker between a 1-3"/2-4" event and a bigger 6"+.  

I'm not trying to be a downer but. Thats a serious HP and depending where the PV ends up there is still a very real possibility that this could slide under us. I would feel much better with a wound up solution. With that cold air in place I'll take my chances on a changeover to some ice or rain at the end if it runs up the Apps.

Literally, the difference between you and I is location. What you are describing is often really good for you all out there along I-81, much much worse for us in the beltways.

I'm not trying to be a downer but. Thats a serious HP and depending where the PV ends up there is still a very real possibility that this could slide under us. I would feel much better with a wound up solution. With that cold air in place I'll take my chances on a changeover to some ice or rain at the end if it runs up the Apps.

Agreed, I would take my chances on a GGEM-esque event. The one thing I'm really hoping doesn't happen on today's 12z runs is we see a trend towards a strung out system ala EURO. Of course 2-5" wouldn't suck, but if we want  8-12" system we're going to have to lean towards the GGEM even if it puts us at a risk for a changeover. 

I would take anything less than 4, but I'm sorta with you on this.   I'm tired of these nickle and dimes.  Again, of course I'd gladly take a 2 to 4 and be happy.  But I'm itching for something bigger at this point.

Not sure 2-4 would make me happy at this point. Watch/warning is my bar - area-wide.

This ain't December, and we are in our prime climo window for legit snows.

Archived