Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

compared to the runs of the NAM and GFS, that's probably a good (better) thing

Don't quite understand this.  The Euro was craptastic for us at 00Z, so if it's almost the same now at 12Z, I don't see how it's necessarily a good or better thing.  Given the NAM's 12Z solution, just about anything might look relatively "better".

Not looking at any models and just looking at the influence that the Highs dropping out of Alaska /western Canada have had on this system so far in the last 24 hours and their affect on the track of the water 24 hour water vapor loop I like our chances for still getting nailed by this storm.  Especially given the fact that the models have been "off track" lately.

A hair colder and a bit more in the way of front-end snow, you mean?  Or you referring to the low track?

Hard to say for sure on first maps but looks like the low is a bit south of last night's Euro (NW of RIC to Salisbury or so?).. so that's one of the best tracks we have there at this point.  Verbatim not a ton on front end south of Md/Pa.. tries to get us a little to close. Not a bad run if you want to keep watching. 

Hard to say for sure on first maps but looks like the low is a bit south of last night's Euro (NW of RIC to Salisbury or so?).. so that's one of the best tracks we have there at this point.  Verbatim not a ton on front end south of Md/Pa.. tries to get us a little to close. Not a bad run if you want to keep watching. 

The overhead lp pass is becoming relatively locked in. It wasn't an inspiring run imo. I didn't see much beyond noise. 

marginally better...probably gets me and you 1", maybe more.....Hopefully it moves south and/or moistens...

There's actually a bit of good news here: while the s/w did trend a little deeper, it also got more of a nudge. The heights across Manitoba/Ontario came in lower. It's possible this begins a slight nudging. At the very least, it will prevent an UKMET solution.

marginally better...probably gets me and you 1", maybe more.....Hopefully it moves south and/or moistens...

We have a way to go but if you're near the border certainly keeps things interesting. It would almost be nicer to just say it's over around here but it's pretty close.

More Baja involvement, more northern stream involvement, less confluence now in Canada...this can get ugly quickly. The idea was a simple s/w with some Baja moisture running into Arctic Air yesterday. Now, we are making a solid cyclone with a lot more interaction of features in the Plains.

I hate these kind of -NAO blocks. Thumb ridge/transient spokes into 50-50 position attached to the MAIN PV west is a recipe for quick removal. Uuuugh

They're totally bootleg...we see them every +NAO winter and they are near useless....we are much better off getting a faux western block like the one you championed before 2/12/14

Yesterday on Twitter, I noticed the 850mb low track was odd but it worked on the snowier solutions. On the cold solutions, the 850mb low tracked from Ohio/WV into VA and then to the coast. Now, it is moving due east across PA. This lack of E-SE motion from more s/w amplification is basically the problem. The hope now is watching to see if the progressive flow (next wave, interaction with Baja etc.) can prevent the current deeper solutions. A slightly less amplified s/w will not resist the Canadian flow, and the mid level circulations will move along with the ride, i.e. ESE instead of E.

Also, I think the cold high has slowed. Today was supposed to be low to mid 30's and dropping by noon, instead it is 40ish and temperatures beginning to drop just in last hour.

Also, I think the cold high has slowed. Today was supposed to be low to mid 30's and dropping by noon, instead it is 40ish and temperatures beginning to drop just in last hour.

36 up here in the coal region of east central PA at the present time, so the cold is even late here.

Archived