joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spent some time outside shoveling and playing with the dog. Took a bunch if measurements.

Ranged from 4.5" to 10". Looks like 8" here

So bummed

I haven't ventured out yet my 13-15 was just a guess I may have been a bit to liberal on that. That may be the total when all is said and done.. lol

Havn't gone out to measure because the snow is over a foot up my front storm door here in Ayer, which is it's self 15" from the ground level...  But the chain link fence that lines the front yard is 4' in height, and the snow is more than half way up to the top.  In fact, that depth of snow (probably nearing 30") is level with the snow that is impeding my front door.  The ground was a patch work of shallow ice and frozen lawn prior to this event, so what's out there presently is utterly pure production from this storm.

The car has almost no visible components and looks like a smoothed igloo at this point.   

I awoke at 5 am, then slipped back to sleep and have been up since 7am, and it has been 1/4 mi vis or less, with jet gusts over head the entire time.  Blizzard certainly verified in Ayer MA, which was on the edge of the actual warning zone.  But ... the text always says, "in or around..." so this certainly qualifies.  

Presently, the snow appears to be gently waning. Rad confirms, as this super intense meso band that has extended NNE-SSW west through outer Metro west and the distant subburbs has lost some intensity and is shrinking.  Appears, based upon other obs that this thing should wind down to light snows with heavier moderate bursts and showers as the afternoon approaches... Then we gradually end from SW to E/NE as the storm pulls away later this evening. 

This is more like the "Great Imby Storm", as it was not as pervasive (the impressive with 12-16" outside this band, nonetheless) as was advertised, but if you experienced this band your likely finishing 20-30" of more when it is all said and down.  I am somewhere between 25 and 30" as it is..  So certainly some got it in their back yards...

16F   vis 1/4mi. Snow and blowing snow. 

I'm not sure I'm even going to clear in this. Snow that has already fallen will just blow back into my measuring area.

Yeah, I had thought about that at 5:00am, but I tried to clear a larger spot way beyond the perimeter of the board in hopes that any drifting would occur on those edges far away from the measuring area.

Yeah there'll be some heavier bursts. Like you said, with north winds you want those bands on radar to be a tick to your north since they will travel under the beam. We'll do well compared to WNE. It just won't be close to historic here like it will be just to our SE.

HRRR doesn't really impress me. I'll probably just watch the radar and snow and maybe take a peak at the new king, the RGEM.

Yeah, lightened a bit now and HRRR apprears to be more east of CON.  Maybe we get to a foot.  Still, in a crappy winter should be 2 double digit storms so far and probably more to come.

I really am interested in what Garth says, I bet hes approaching 30

I posted 23+ but really the drifting makes it tough.  There were some spots that had more, and some that had less. The average would probably be between 24-26.  Someone down the road posted 25" but I don't think she knows what shes doing (probably included last Saturday's snow.)

Either way, it is pouring snow right now.

Archived