joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Disco for Manitoba Mauler 01/26/27

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is the apex of the west trend.

These weak niño-Miller Bs are e MA focused.

The last few have strayed west....time for regression.

Its fine where it is now in the west, I just need it a bit further north, haha.  If it took that same track but a bit further north it would be over Long Island when it first bombs out.  Though I know you are looking for that storm where it snows 24" in E.Mass but everyone west of 495 is smoking cirrus, :lol:.

Anywhere from say Scituate, MA right down to the Cape Cod Canal along the coast are pretty epic during Blizzards.

Thanks so much for your expertise and thoughtful advice. Last year was my very first endeavor with chasing a prospective hecs/blizzard; chose Chatham, MA (Lighthouse Beach) for the March 26 storm.

As we get closer to "zero hour", I will most definitely be relying on the knowledge and experience of those, like yourself, who are vastly more experienced with this fascinating phenomenon-based on firsthand experience.

Must admit that I'm genuinely more apprehensive about attempting to document a hecs (blizzard) with a couple feet of snow and 70 mph wind gusts, than all of the 25 hurricanes I've intercepted, to date. Totally feel out of my element in that regard.

Hope it all works out for each of us! :)

Inside 96 hours this went from whiff to HECS.

Parts of north-central NJ went from 0" to 30" in 1 Euro cycle

I'm just looking at 12z suite now... incredible consensus. 

Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet, 12z NAVGEM can be added, 977mb near benchmark. Really just remarkable consensus all the sudden.

Obviously one key variable in flux for SNE is timing of capture and when this occludes.

3 storms in 7 days on the Euro, Fun times ahead

Yeah the tide is turning for you guys... going from NW New England focused winter weather, to eastern/southern New England focused winter weather.  We knew it would switch around for a period of time...climo wasn't going to allow futility in a weak Nino. 

I know people are excited (and we should be), but let's try to cut the banter and useless posts out of this thread. The pages will be flying already as it is.

Yeah we need to keep this a bit more technical on the storm...we have the banter thread for random excitement posts. That's what we made it for.

Quick notes of caution...  This system has evolved in the models to be a very large, and powerfully dynamic system.  So much so that it will have "it's own" internal idiosyncrasies that will inevitably emerge, and be poorly modeled when they do.  Such nuances can and do have an impact on sensible as well as more meaningful strike events...  

Having said that, the Euro actually is processing details that may not even exist ... or, perhaps they will; but the point being, with immense systems of certain power comes along equally daunting complexities, and the Euro's creating a wave out over the Gulf Stream may have a couple considerations....

post-904-0-98221700-1422125557_thumb.jpg

One, it may rob some moisture from wrapping W into the CCB band.  It may also cut off some of the WCB ingest into the core deep layer mechanics.  The 2ndary result of that (if in deed it is an error) is that the system may actually not be currently modeled deep or prolific enough in that particular guidance source... 

That said, there is soooo much incredible dynamics with this thing, satellite vortices (to borrow an expression from our Plains brethren) almost seem necessary.  I could almost even envision a wave forming over the Bahamas after the cold front clears Florida.

Saving grace is that when full phases/stalls actually occur, its usually a bit further North and east than where modelled a few days out.

Yeah Feb 2013 actually did that...it was originally modeled to phase fully about 100 miles SW of where it did...probably prevented SNE from getting pretty widespread 30-35"+ totals vs just in that one band.

Wpc

THE 12Z ECMWF USES WHAT

APPEARS TO BE A CONVECTIVE FEEDBACK BULL'S EYE AT 60-66

HOURS/MONDAY NIGHT TO DRAG ITS SURFACE LOW DUE NORTH ONCE IT

EMERGES OFF CAPE HATTERAS, WHICH LOOKS UNREALISTIC.

It will be interesting to see if that is legit. IT shows up on the vorticity field too..kind of blows up NE of HSE between 60-66 versus the "real" vorticity further east swinging around the east side of the shortwave much further E.

Wpc

THE 12Z ECMWF USES WHAT

That's a weird paragraph that I don't agree with. The Euro shows the classic capture/close off of a major nor'easter off the coast. Many of the "big ones" have that. Doesn't have a classic convective feedback sig either. 

Wpc

THE 12Z ECMWF USES WHAT

I posted an annotated chart that discusses that very same feature...

I would not take this Euro run verbatim because of that... duh, but more so than is normal for a D4-less Euro run.  I think this beast is overwhelming ever for that guidance source. 

Archived