joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, I like that I have the option to come in late, but I'll probably be there on time tomorrow.

I mean...I get it, places like NYC have rarely closed, while others with worse climo freak out at the thought of inclement weather, but it's whatever. Cautious doesn't automatically equal candy ass in my mind. Idk.

(I would have waited for the morning to actually observe conditions, though)

Listen, I've been in public schools, as a teacher and coach for 29 years. I've witnessed this change first hand.

When I was a senior in high school, we had a Tuesday night basketball game in early Jan of 1981. We were under a winter storm warning for snow that night. We had to drive about 50 miles for the game. We went. Today, there's no way the game would be played. After the game we exited to about 5" of snow. They threw chains on the bus and off we went. Nobody thought a thing about it. Took 2 1/2 hours to get home. And that was in SWVA where the roads are much worse.

It's not imagined. Things are much different today.

Listen, I've been in public schools, as a teacher and coach for 29 years. I've witnessed this change first hand.

When I was a senior in high school, we had a Tuesday night basketball game in early Jan of 1981. We were under a winter storm warning for snow that night. We had to drive about 50 miles for the game. We went. Today, there's no way the game would be played. After the game we exited to about 5" of snow. They threw chains on the bus and off we went. Nobody thought a thing about it. Took 2 1/2 hours to get home. And that was in SWVA where the roads are much worse.

Nice recollection... I was a kid in the 70's and grew up in MoCo...not until the Presidents Day storm of 79 do I recall getting very many snow days. There had to be at least 4 -6 inches for a snow day. I do remember the bus coming up my ice covered road with chains clattering, and I can remember plenty of times riding the bus to school with snow falling.   :oldman:

Yes, you are right. Sounds like we about same age graduated HS in 82. Thing that gets me is now (at least around here) is all the buses have those automatic chains, so all they have to do is push a button and chains are down. AND they miss school for way less than we ever did.

Nice recollection... I was a kid in the 70's and grew up in MoCo...not until the Presidents Day storm of 79 do I recall getting very many snow days. There had to be at least 4 -6 inches for a snow day. I do remember the bus coming up my ice covered road with chains clattering, and I can remember plenty of times riding the bus to school with snow falling.   :oldman:

Ditto

My childhood would've been much less fun if I would've still had to go to school when it snowed 3-6"... snow days, sledding, and relaxing were a bit part of what made snowstorms so much fun, especially before I really started following weather.

Getting a week off from school at a time after a HECS was the best. Happened in Feb 2003 and even in college in Feb 2010.

I blame lawyers. Without lawyers kids would be walking to school when it's raining fireballs.

On a serious note, back in the 70's and 80's congestion wasn't nearly as expansive as it is now. Also, teachers and bus drivers could actually afford to live within 15 miles of work. There's a lot of Moco teachers who live in Fredrick and WVA. What good is shipping kids to school when their teacher is 3 hours late from gridlock.

I don't get the argument anyway. Weather days are built in. Use them or lose them. My kids' education isn't affected either way.

You were in senior high school in '81?   :o

For some reason I thought we were the same age.  I was 6.

I blame lawyers. Without lawyers kids would be walking to school when it's raining fireballs.

On a serious note, back in the 70's and 80's congestion wasn't nearly as expansive as it is now. Also, teachers and bus drivers could actually afford to live within 15 miles of work. There's a lot of Moco teachers who live in Fredrick and WVA. What good is shipping kids to school when their teacher is 3 hours late from gridlock.

I don't get the argument anyway. Weather days are built in. Use them or lose them. My kids' education isn't affected either way.

You'll get no argument from me...I love snow days...lo l :P

gymengineer, on 11 Jan 2015 - 10:04 PM, said:snapback.png

OPM-2hr delay

yoda said

Hmmmmm... interesting call

It's not obvious to many people why governments are delaying.

One factor is "the economy, stupid".  Even back to the time of the real estate crash of the early 90s, when lending standards WERE in place, even journey-level workers had a tough time finding affordable decent housing in "Richfax" County or even closer in.  I spent quite some time in Jebman-land as a result.  And only had to take a week to dig out from the blizzard of 1996.

With the semi-yuppiefication of Prince William County, many workers are now living further away, including the (to me) dreaded "north and west".  THAT is a reason why ((especially after the wreck-a-thon last week))  the Office of Personnel Mangling decided not to be blamed for any repeat this time.

Archived